aftermarket sound question

oregonjeff

oregonjeff
I recently purchased a low milage 2007 144"passeger model. Several days later I realized the stereo was not working. I took it in to the local Dodge dealer where it was originally purchased. They ran diagnostics and told me the am-fm-cd was no longer working. The suggestion was to replace the stereo. They also said that a new electrical harness was suggested by (?) Diamler-Benz for (?) the drivers side door. The total estimate was over $800! I then went to a local after-market car stereo shop. They suggested that they could instal an HD radio with I-pod connection for significantly less. I am also looking into placing some LED alarm lights to help discourage a break in (actually placing the alarm module sounds expensive/risky to the electrical system). After reading some threads on the forum I am wondering if I should be worried about a custom car stereo shop installing these features on a Sprinter. If I am going to spend $800 I would love to get a bit more than the original basic unit, however, if it may compromise the electrical system maybe I should just stick with the MB replacement. I need some sound, as the turbo whine/whistle caught me by surprise and I prefer the sound of music to cover it up a bit. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to make a decision soon. Also I am a total auto/electrical neophyte, so there is no way I plan to attack any of this myself. Thanks

RickL

Hi

I'd recommend checking out Crutchfield, a long-time seller of car audio; they were around when I was in HS in the 80's!. They are famous for their excellent instructions and support. I've bought several car stereos from them and they've been great. Their website is interactive and lets you pick your vehicle to see what radio can fit in it easily.

HTH!

RL

mackconsult

Congrats on the sprinter. I am just across the columbia river with mine. Went the crutchfield route on mine and only spent $300. Installation was pretty straight forward so I doubt a stereo shop would have much difficulty. I don't think the NCV3 is much different than my T1N, but I could be wrong.

oregonjeff

oregonjeff
Thanks! Just went to the Crutchfield site and the first one they suggested for my vehicle was the same one I was looking at! great to know it is a compatable unit. Now to find out if my shop will install a stereo purchased elsewhere.....

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Welcome to the Sprinter club. Hope to see you around town, when i'm in town.
Removing and replacing the stereo shouldn't be hard to do. The factory unit comes out easily enough, no special tools required.
Replacing the factory unit would certainly be the best choice, it doesn't have the best quality sound. Spending a little more on new speakers would also help.
I have always had my doubts about car stereo places, having spent a fair amount of time repairing stuff done by 'reputable' places. There must be some, but it might become a 'you get what you pay for' kind of thing.
Jef

oregonjeff

oregonjeff
After I had the new unit installed it started cutting out the next week (until I took it back in, when it then worked well). Finally a month later it really cut out, and they were able to trace it to a loose rear speaker which was falling out of the mount and grounding out on the body. Now fixed!! Jeff

jjoseph2353

I posted a dumb question about 2010 Sprinter fascia removal a while back (I want to put in a double-DIN unit) and two people responded almost instantly (THANKS!!!!!). There was even a link to detailed instructions for removing the radio. However, the Sound 5 factory radio in my Sprinter doesn't appear to be the Becker model described. Does anyone know how to remove the fascia in a 2010?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom