stuck in neutral? help! i need somebody! help! not just anybody...

vadim

i was driving my 2006 2500 sprinter, came to a stop light, when i pressed on the gas pedal, engine rev'd up, but sprinter no go. i tried to shift into first, but it stayed in D. will not shift into 4 3 2 1. if i leave it off for a few minutes, it starts to move for a few seconds, then once again just revs up the engine but no go. if anybody has any advice i will gladly accept it. thank you.

WAYNERODD

Check the fluid level. Even if something electrical went you still should have 2nd & reverse. If your fluid level is up, chances are your trans will need to be rebuilt or replaced. If the fluid level is low be sure to check the rubber trans lines. The fan belt can cut them if it starts to shread. Also check the shifting linkage under the van. It could have become disconnected.

vadim

i assumed it may be the fluid level. waiting on my buddy to swing by with a dipstick. tomorrow morning i will check what you have advised, and update. thank you.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
i was driving my 2006 2500 sprinter, came to a stop light, when i pressed on the gas pedal, engine rev'd up, but sprinter no go. i tried to shift into first, but it stayed in D. will not shift into 4 3 2 1. if i leave it off for a few minutes, it starts to move for a few seconds, then once again just revs up the engine but no go. if anybody has any advice i will gladly accept it. thank you.
Technically speaking you're not stuck in neutral but suffering from a 'loss of drive'.

Loss of drive can occur as a result of a TCM induced default mode due to over speed or improper ratio issues. This would result in fault codes specific to those conditions.

However in your case, the temporary restoration of drive after a short term engine shut off suggests the problem may be ATF flow related. This can be due to a clogged or cracked/dislodged transmission filter or the ATF fluid level.

If fluid level checks OK, drop the pan and inspect the filter. If it is in position, unrestricted and undamaged- peel it open and inspect the internal filter media.

Doktor A

vadim

o wow thanks a ton Dr. A. i changed the fluid and filter, when i dropped the pan, the fluid (if thats what you can call it) was THICK. as was the magnet. ?cold weather related? after i installed a new filter, filled 'er up, it ran awesome. once again, thank you. and thanks to the rest of you for taking your time to help as well.

vadim

here we go, after i changed the filter and fluid, i drove approximately 10 miles to home from breakdown location. next morning, same problem as before "loss of drive". dropped the pan, took apart the new filter and found it to be lodged with metal shavings. new fluid had become dark gray in the short period of driving. i once again changed fluid and filter, have driven total of 75 miles in two days, no problems... other than, it sometimes feels as though tranny is slipping when from 3-4 gear. my driving habits are as follows: throw a brick on the accelerator because highway on-ramps are so short. i generally accelerate quickly, and keep it at around 70-75 MPH till its time for a fuel fill. so i tried this: accelerated slowly, tranny felt like it slipped. accelerated quickly, no slipping felt. could this be because the transmission became accustomed to the way i'd driven it before? i thought i read something on here about trannys learning your driving habits...? sorry for the essay length question(s).

My driving habits are as follows: throw a brick on the accelerator because highway on-ramps are so short. I generally accelerate quickly, and keep it at around 70-75 MPH till its time for a fuel fill.
A history of a heavy foot followed by metal shavings in the filter doesn't sound like a good combination to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd keep an eye on it. No matter how smart a transmission may be, they don't program them to learn how to slip noticeably. Good luck. vic

WAYNERODD

next morning, same problem as before "loss of drive". dropped the pan, took apart the new filter and found it to be lodged with metal shavings.
All of the metal shavings should have been long gone.

If after only driving 10 miles and you are having the same problem and lots of shavings it's time to face the fact that your transmission can no longer be trusted and is on it's way out!

Get it repaired or replaced soon before it leaves you stranded and with a tow bill!

vadim

its been a year... and the transmission is doing great. or was. i just changed the engine in mine. it blew on me. engine replaced. new torque converter. old transmission. insane RSN. which i had none of prior to the installation of the new engine and torque converter.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
i new torque converter. old transmission. insane RSN. which i had none of prior to the installation of the new engine and torque converter.
Severe, 'insane' RSN after replacement of the torque converter may be resolved by performing a Reset of Adaptation procedure using the factory diagnostic tool.

If that does not help, give me a call.

Doktor A

talkinghorse43

its been a year... and the transmission is doing great. or was. i just changed the engine in mine. it blew on me. engine replaced. new torque converter. old transmission. insane RSN. which i had none of prior to the installation of the new engine and torque converter.
Looking back, I see you wrote about multiple harmonic balancer delaminations on your old engine. I'm curious; what was the cause of your engine failure (how did it fail?) and was it connected with your harmonic balancer problems?

vadim

Dr. A, i ended up putting my old torque converter back in... after i found out that the "brand new" one i bought from somebody here was not so new after all, and that he had the same problem with it on both of his vans he had installed it on. so i put my old one back in and so far so good. talkinghorse, multiple time it delaminated, but only this last time did the outer ring itself come apart and end up somewhere on the highway behind me. i was driving, approx. 65 mph. "bang clang rattle blam pop ding dong damn" is what i heard. stopped on the side of the road, tried to turn it over, once again... "bang clang rattle blam pop ding dong damn". when i removed the engine a week later, i could shake the crankshaft around inside of it. havent had time to take it apart yet though.

Top Bottom