transmission RSN

mrighter

AN 08 VB was towed into our shop in late november. The repair order said needs an engine. Upon further inspection the van had just come from the body shop ,where a nice new oil filter housing and many front engine parts had been replaced. The damage had already been done. the engine was tappping and knocking and smoking badly. After the insurance company wrote a check for the coplete job reman. engine / labor the parts were ordered an i began to work.
R&R the engine and test drive. Upon test drive I noticed a driveline vibration that I had never felt in any sprinter that I had ever worked on. I checked TSB'S none found. I checked with chrysler engineering, nothing found. Decided to isolate wheater vibration was transmission or driveshaft. With the use of a star scan scan tool I was able to determin what gear, tcc slipping or lockup, tcc duty cycle. End results transmission shudder or Rumble strip noise. With a check of this website I found that a possible full transmisson fluid an filter change would fix the problem. My diagnosis was that the body shop the replaed the radiator fronm the front end hit toped off the transmission with a multi-vehicle transmission fluid.
With the ok of the owner i drained the pan and cleaned it very well changed the filter and gasket and left the T/C to drain overnight. In the morning I blew air through the transmission cooler and lines to remove the fluid from th radiator. Filled transmission to the propper level using the scan tool and sprinter dipstick.
Road test time:
Upon my road test i hit that certain tcc duty cycle at witch the rsn ocurrs, imediatly my heart sank as the rsn was still there. I decided maybe all of the clutches hadn't soaked up enough fluid yet,more road testing. The more I drove the better the trans shifted and the rsn wasn't as violent or frequent, but still there. At this point I wondered was there something that I fogot to do, Quicklearn or CVI reset. With the scantool I started lokking and there it was Adaptive memory reset. I figured it can't hurt to try. Amazingly after the reset and some more driving the rsn disappeared and the vehicle was finally finnished after about 25hrs of labor/diag/roadtesting. thanks to all of your posts about rsn I was able to save the customer more money on a new transmission.

Top Bottom