PDA

View Full Version : What type oil comes from Factory? Synthetic or conventional?

verojohn
07-17-2007, 08:07 PM
The Dealer I bought my Sprinter (Charlie's Dodge in Ft. Pierce, FL.) wants $190.00 plus tax to change my oil. I like to do it myself so I just bought the new filter for $25.00 and asked what oil they use. They would put in Shell Rotella 15w 40 for $69.00 or, if I wanted Mobil One 5W 30, it would be the $190.00. I don't want anything 30 weight in this engine during the summer in South Florida as our normal noon time temps can easily be 100 degrees Fahrenheit and we idle a lot with this truck. I want 40 weight but the only thing I found was Mobil One 0w 40. It states MB approval 229.5 right on the back but I'm nervous about the cold 0w viscosity? Am I crazy? Is this being too anal? I think I'm over analyzing this as they allow lowly Shell 15w 40 so what damage can Mobil One 0w 40 do?

BTW, the Service department thought I was nuts changing the oil with only 4,600 miles on the engine, but after looking at the size of this cheap dixie cup sized oil filter, I'm nervous! They told me to wait for the display to tell me to change the oil.

kendall69
07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
You not being crazy, since 0-40 is what the manual says.

verojohn
07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I realize the manual states it good to go with 0w 40, I've just never used 0w 40 oil and think it might be a tad thin on the start up weight/temps

BTW, I realize I never addressed my topic question, does anyone here know what type oil comes from the factory in this engine? Reason being I don't like the idea of mixing synthetic and conventional oil or, vice versa.
You not being crazy, since 0-40 is what the manual says.

pgr
07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
The oil filer is only worth about $6-8.

pgr

jdcaples
07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Factory: Synthetic. Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 is rumored to be the first oil fill, from the factory.

I do not know if the partially knocked down cargo vans that are reassembled in Ladson, SC contain fluids or not when they arrive from Germany.

This is probably what is in the Passenger (Wagons) that arrive in Florida from Germany.

Be mindful of the 229.51 specification. It's named because of the Diesel Particulate Filter's requirements. The filter can't be cleaned (at least no one's copped to having cleaned one) and must be replaced if fouled.

The North American 2007 owners manual - page 351 - indicates 229.5 should only be added in quantities of 1 quart or less and only when there's no alternative.

-Jon

KenB
07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I realize the manual states it good to go with 0w 40, I've just never used 0w 40 oil and think it might be a tad thin on the start up weight/temps

BTW, I realize I never addressed my topic question, does anyone here know what type oil comes from the factory in this engine? Reason being I don't like the idea of mixing synthetic and conventional oil or, vice versa.

They don't use synthetic (as far as I can tell) unless you get the ASSYST system (the one that tells you when to change oil). If you rely on the ASSYST system to tell you when to change, then you must use synthetics (as in Mobil 1 0w40 or those on a list available at your dealer).:smilewink:

With synthetic oil, your oil changes prior to 10K miles really ARE a waste on this vehicle unless your conditions are exceptionally dusty or you are doing most of your time stop and go pulling the limit in weight (lots of high revs getting started, etc.). Mere stop and go are not enough to cause problems, merely towing some weight down the interstate is not enough (to make you need to shorten oil change intervals).:thumbup:

A MB diesel such as this is very tight tolereance, so you don't get alot of blow-by, and the CDI yields tiny particle size on the soot, probably more lubricating than not. Yes the oil will be dark at 10K miles, but this color is not a dangerous thing for your engine.
:professor: :professor:
Mixing API approved oils is NOT a problem as they are all required to pass the proper testing with equivalent chemicals in them. Especially if you drain down to drips this is not a problem. The oil filter housing even auto-drains into the pan when you remove the filter cap/filter/filter support spike.

The filter is much bigger that you seem to think... it won't fit inside most regular "can" filters unless you are looking at one for a powerstroke or cummins... remember that it has no can of its own to add to its apparent size out of the box. Also, remember that this is not a large diesel engine... yet 9.5 qts. is pretty large oil capacity for 2.7 litre engine.

0w40 actually means that at very cold temps it will run freely as if it were a very light oil at the lowest temps (really light oil (;ike 10 weight) does get thicker at low temps, and regular oil gets very thick at low temps (say straight 30 weight)), so it is not that you lose viscosity at a particular temp, with 0w40, it is that the lowest temp does not cause it to setup and the higher temps will cause it to act approximately like 40 weight.

Being fully synthetic, it means that both the oil stocks and additives are BOTH synthetic... viscosity modifiers, plastisizers, floatants or suspension agents, lubricity enhancers, etc. are synthetic molecules as well. Chemicals to limit changes in PH and maybe water dispersants might be as before synthetics as they may not be petroleum-based anyway.:professor: :professor:

KenB

jdcaples
07-17-2007, 10:34 PM
...yet 9.5 qts. is pretty large oil capacity for 2.7 litre engine.

KenB

This is the NCV3 area. I thought this thread was about the v6 3.0 L engine, which has different requirements from the T1N 2.7 L diesel.

If we're talking about the 2.7L engine, my previous posting should be disregarded.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
True we are on the V6 thread not the 2.7 L thread
Different oils 229.5 229.51 which is a differnt formula for each engine Richard

verojohn
07-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes, it is a 3L 2007 and the capacity is just over 13 quarts f oil.
Are they sent from Germany stock with Fuchs synthetic oil?

jdcaples
07-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, it is a 3L 2007 and the capacity is just over 13 quarts f oil.
Are they sent from Germany stock with Fuchs synthetic oil?

Once more:

Factory: Synthetic. Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 is rumored to be the first oil fill, from the factory.

That is the rumor. I can find no other information to confirm it on the web.

Why don't you call the Cargo (re)assembly plant in South Carolina and ask?

Ladson, SC USA Contact Info (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6596&postcount=1)

-Jon

verojohn
07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I appreciate the "once more"....I was just making sure as some here were talking about the old engine...

Once more, thanks.

hapaschold
03-16-2018, 12:13 AM
wouldn't all the vans contain fluids off the assembly line since they re driven off ?

avanti
03-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Wow! The mother of all zombie threads. :rolleyes: