PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Drone noise

QTLTD
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Somone HELP , please .

2004 Sprinter Pasenger van ,

There is a sound from under the van ( DRONE ) when driving up to hill , or accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600 and is very loud and annoing - specialiy for pasenger van .
Dealer replaced (under warranty) all exhaust from engine to the end -no change - drone is there .
dealer also replaced propeler shaft w/universal joints- all from transmision to rear axle - drone is there.
check axle - components , bearings in good condition , fluid --- ok

Drone is there :idunno:

kkanuck
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Does it sound like a loud Hmmmmmmm oise, I have it at 1600-1700 rmp in top gear right around 70 mph.

Is this the same noise and symptom you speak of?

QTLTD
07-16-2007, 04:57 PM
aha EXACTLY

sikwan
07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
If the drone noise you're talking about is the same as what I'm thinking it to be, mine does it too when I'm trying to accelerate at speed (65mph +). If I'm cruising at a high speed with the tach at 2700, I don't hear the noise. It only happens when I have the pedal to the metal at speed.

Gee, I must baby my Sprinter because I don't remember ever having the tach go past 3k. :smirk:

jdcaples
07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
aha EXACTLY

Please read this (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=721&postcount=1)

Are you experiencing either item 6 or item 7?

-Jon

QTLTD
07-16-2007, 06:17 PM
RPMs are just about the same , past 2700 no noise

QTLTD
07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
#6 accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600
#7 vibration noise from the floor in the cabin area - always cold or warm

tegimr
07-17-2007, 06:31 AM
#6 accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600
#7 vibration noise from the floor in the cabin area - always cold or warm

Has anyone had these type of problems JUST when it's hot - 95 F+?

Tim

pvsprinter
08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
This may be related------
I'm getting a noise when driving around 60 with AC on and ext temp 85 and above.It's sort of a hollow whoing noise that is RPM dependant( lower tone than turbo). With cruise on I saw that this sound started with coolant about 204 and intake air 110 ( have Scanguage), then coolant temp went down and noise stopped between 190 and 185. This senario repeated dependind on engine load ie. hills.
Does this mean engine cooling system is operating at max and aux fan has to cycle at conditions that are not really extreme?
Does anyone know the turnon temp for electric aux fan? Will talk to dealer.
Why did they put the intercooler after the AC condenser? To make the intake air hotter> the hotter the intake air on a diesel the less efficient it is. DUH
Bob

bikerjoe
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
My '04 just turned 60K miles.

I have developed the very same low groaning noise. It sounds like a very loud and low pitched harmonic vibration. I would LOVE to get rid of this noise.

My temporary solution is to shift down a gear. The noise occurs while under a load, such as at 65 mph on a grade and attempting to maintain speed or accelerate. Sometimes the noise persists through 4th and 3rd gears. I haven't been to the dealer for a solution. I am fairly certain that there is no real fix for this problem.

I am looking into a different solution. Trading my 2004 in for a NEW 2007!

kkanuck
08-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Same noise I have. I would like to see it gone, too, only under a load, 65-70 mph.

You would trade the 04 you did all the custom suspension work on recently?

bikerjoe
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Wow! you remember the posts? I am flattered! Yes, the bed and other apperatus I built can be removed, not terribly easily, but with some effort, and mounted onto another truck if necessary. I built it this way so that if I wreck my truck by rear-ending a moving van while rubber-necking one of the numerous bikini-clad California beach babes, I can go get another one and have my business back up and running in about ten days.

I have not finished the project. I am about $6,000.00 away from completing it. UGH! Everything is so expensive. Of course, that is partially MY fault, as I have installed eight different hydraulic functions into the bed, powered by three separate hydraulic pumps. I sent a letter to Uncle Gates asking him for a Billion dollars, but he responded "No." In fact, he denied even being related to me. Imagine that!

hammerdown
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
hey guys, i have this noise too. i'm contributing some info that i dont' think anyone else has mentioned. the noise, kind of a droning, low resonance, only seems to occur at a specific rpm, right around 3k. It does it in all gears, for example, if accelerating quickly, the noise comes and goes quickly as the rpms pass the range in which the noise occurs. it happens in all gears, however the noise is constant around 70 mph, because that's when your rpms are constantly in what i call the drone zone. i would love to fix this problem, it's annoying as all get out.

kkanuck
08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I have read in another forum, topix.net, where i saw Richard make some posts regarding the harmonic Balancer and failure that some T1N's are prone to and can be a very expensive repair. I believe if one acts early and changes it it is a small repair as compared to after failure.

Not sure if that is the deal here, but I thought I should start such a discussion as there is not much on the harmonic balancer issue that I could find here in search.....

sikwan
08-21-2008, 02:47 PM
What about this thing...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5994&d=1201667533

AzteK
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
pvsprinter: That would be your condenser fan if im not mistaken trying to cool down. When the van isnt moving fast enough or idles to long with the AC on the engine heats up a lot faster. Once on the road the noise is most pronouced in the 2000rpm range, then goes away again. Once temps get back to a close 180 the fan stops. It sounds like dump trucks, and semis taking off as well. But if you want to try a test, turn your AC off, open the windows (if its that hot out) idle for 5min, then take off as you normally would. You shouldnt hear it, it shouldnt go on. Or the fan is always on, but when you hear the whining sound it might be going full speed I dont know.

When I took my van in for service last year the dummy decided to make my fan stay on full as long as the key was turned on... That got fixed right away.. and they thought this was normal!! But no, that little biut of whining sound you hear is nothing at all. If its going all the time, or even when your AC isnt running, then maybe get some stuff checked out.

05highroof
08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Are we talking about RSN ( rumble strip noise) From the transmission?

hammerdown
08-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I have read in another forum, topix.net, where i saw Richard make some posts regarding the harmonic Balancer and failure that some T1N's are prone to and can be a very expensive repair. I believe if one acts early and changes it it is a small repair as compared to after failure.

Not sure if that is the deal here, but I thought I should start such a discussion as there is not much on the harmonic balancer issue that I could find here in search.....

i don't think it's the harmonic balancer, mine recently almost fell off, and after it was repaired the drone zone still exists. at least i hope it's not that.

hammerdown
10-02-2008, 02:55 AM
anyone get any new info on the drone zone? it's making me insane!

mean_in_green
10-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Are you able to say approximately where it's coming from?

Eric Experience
10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Sounds like the diff pinion bearing to me. Very common on TINS, when the diff warms up the pinion expands and loses its preload. To fix it drop the drive shaft, feel the pinion if it has any play radialy, the small amount you can turn it should be stiff, if it turns without any resistance tighten the nut a small amount and feel again. Any more than 1/4 turn means you should replace the bearings. Eric

kkanuck
10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
i don't think it's the harmonic balancer, mine recently almost fell off, and after it was repaired the drone zone still exists. at least i hope it's not that.

Can you tell us more about how this occurred? What is your mileage, and how did you detect it was almost falling off?

If it would have failed before you noticed this, would it not have been a major repair?

How expensive was the repair? DIY or dealer?

Thanks for any insight,

Tibor

hammerdown
10-04-2008, 01:29 AM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4049&highlight=oil+leak

here's the whole story

hammerdown
10-04-2008, 02:03 AM
this diff pinion thing? is that consistent with the specific rpm symptom? the drone occurs around 3k rpm no matter what the speed.

Eric Experience
10-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Hammer down.
No the diff is load/road speed/temperature, dependant not rpm of the motor, Eric

hammerdown
10-04-2008, 03:22 PM
i suppose if the drone was there when in neutral or park, simply revving the motor, that would eliminate the diff pinion as a possible culprit. i will try and report back.

hammerdown
10-19-2008, 03:25 PM
ah, i forgot to report. drone only exists when in gear. not in neutral when simply revving. also noticed yesterday with about 800-1000 lbs in the truck that the drone zone seemed to be a little further up in the rev range. i'm stumped. yet again.

sailquik
10-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Hammerdown,
Do a search on both forums (Sprinter and Yahoo Sprinter) on "rumble strip noise".
I'm looking in to getting the tranny brace that's supposed to fix this noise.
One of my buddies with a Sprinter has it and suggests it completely solved
the problem.
Roger

dickreid1
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Hammerdown,

Try giving Upscale Automotive a call. They are in Tualatin Oregon, just south of Portland. The boss there, John, has a fix for harmonic vibration like what you describe.

Their phone # is: 503-692-0846

Dick from Florida

rvdriverca
10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I can't hear a thing, with the wife talking all the time.

kkanuck
10-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Hammerdown,
Do a search on both forums (Sprinter and Yahoo Sprinter) on "rumble strip noise".
I'm looking in to getting the tranny brace that's supposed to fix this noise.
One of my buddies with a Sprinter has it and suggests it completely solved
the problem.
Roger

Any more info on what solved this?

bikerjoe
10-22-2008, 08:55 AM
My '04 2500 140" wb sprinter had this drone noise. It went away when I had the transmission serviced at 65K miles. New fluids, dropped the pan for inspection, etc. The noise came back at 92,000 and I put up with it for a while, but I just had the tranny serviced again at 94K, and VIOLA! The noise is gone again.

I really think Mercedes is a bit ambitious with their "no service for 80,000 miles" claim. Take the tranny in, have it serviced. New fluid, drop the pan, clean the filters etc. I'll bet you a Barvarian filled chocolate covered doughnut that it solves the problem.

Nate
10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
From the link that JDCaples posted this is the drone noise that I have.

7. Vibrating Noise from Floorboard--Fuel Pump

Sometimes, on some Sprinters after driving a long distance, you'll hear
a vibration noise from the floor in the cabin area. This results from
a defective fuel pump high pressure relief valve. Once this valve is
replaced, no problem. (Exact part number is on Yahoo Sprinter board.)

It doesn't do it all of the time but occasionally it makes the sound. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump because after I turn off the van it continues for about 2-3 seconds. Also if it has been doing it while I drive if I stop and turn off the van and then restart it goes away.

Does anyone know how hard it is to change the part and a part number?

Thanks. I figured I would post it here since this seems to be the thread about drone noises.

Nate

FishKeeper
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I have had a drone noise originating somewhere in the cargo area(or below) since the van was brand new. It occurs at exactly 70 mph. I have since dropped my speed to 60 mph for increased MPG, so it hasn't been an issue.

Bob

118 Low

hammerdown
10-23-2008, 02:01 AM
just an update. my previous post stating that the drone only exists while in gear, not while freely reving in park or neutral was wrong. the drone exists at the aeformentioned rpm (around 3k, or a little less) regardless. this tells me that it is a harmonic vibration, which was suggested earlier in this thread. i will contact the oregon fellow later this week. wonder if he's ever had a service question from 3000 miles away?

cahaak
09-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Old thread here and an update. Had this noise something terrible when I purchased the van at 113K. Almost drove me crazy on the long drive home. Changed the Tranny fluid and it is greatly diminished. Typically only occurs under harder throttle and with a load. Very typically at 70 mph (approx) on the speedometer. Can get it to go away at ~ 74. I had quite a bit of junk on my magnet when changing the fluid. Just did a second change of the fluid and it is almost essentially gone (35K later). I probably should have dropped the valve body and clean it off, especially the spped sensors, but I didn't.

Conclusion is that is specific vibration caused by the transmission which then goes back through the driveshaft and resonates under the floor. If you have this issue, do a complete tranny fluid change dropping the pan and for good measure drop the valve body and give it a good cleaning. That should all but eliminate the issue. It may come back again as debris builds up, but can be fixed.

Chris

sprinterSandy
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds Crazy Right ? Has your van hit the 80.000 mile mark ? are you near 80,000 miles ?
If you are not near that mileage then how OLD is your fluid ? Is your sprinter an 02 or 03?
then if you have no recollection of a trans service , your fluid is 9 years old !
If you just bought it and have no idea if the transmission has been serviced then it cant hurt to do it. The pan has a drain plug and so does the converter. 6 bolts drop the pan with a re-useable rubber gasket. This is also a good time to replace the large connector plug if its currently leaking. its located on the passinger side front of the trans near the cooler line fitting. This is sold as a seperate part from dodge or mercedes and it is not expensive.
filter and fluid is not cheap, however it is probably cheaper than other parts than need to be ruled out as a culprit of making this noise.I have seen a transmission service get rid of this noise, Do it and rule out the transmission . It works !!!!!
hope this helps
Sandy !!!

larry8061
10-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry about this but, I just can't stop myself............. for those of you that are hearing this "drone" noise............... you wouldn't happen to be members of Al Qaidia by chance? They also seem to have the same problem with hearing drone noises!:lol:

Larry
Oh come on it WAS funny!:bounce:

ben a
11-16-2011, 03:57 AM
i had a 71 nova did the same thing it is the rear springs mono not leaf . mono are very hard a strong install leaf springs or lead weights with rubber isolaters they came stock on the nova but came off

terra_firma
02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
OK i experience a higher pitched droning noise when i'm going at higher than 60mph speeds that only happen if the engine/turbo are being engaged and under a significant load. This doesn't happen every single time, but i especially notice it when taking longer trips on the highway. Here is a link to an audio clip, recorded by holding my phone over the dash while driving. It becomes more apparent towards the end, after the :20 mark, you can pretty much hear it along side of the turbo sound:

https://soundcloud.com/terra_firma/sprinter-resonating-noise

Turbo John
02-10-2014, 11:42 PM
My droning was fixed by replacing the pressure relief valve from the fuel pump........in the front with a 16 mm wrench and 50 bucks

shortshort
02-12-2014, 02:44 AM
OK i experience a higher pitched droning noise when i'm going at higher than 60mph speeds that only happen if the engine/turbo are being engaged and under a significant load. This doesn't happen every single time, but i especially notice it when taking longer trips on the highway. Here is a link to an audio clip, recorded by holding my phone over the dash while driving. It becomes more apparent towards the end, after the :20 mark, you can pretty much hear it along side of the turbo sound:

https://soundcloud.com/terra_firma/sprinter-resonating-noise

Do you have a turbo resonator eliminator?

terra_firma
02-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Nope, got the updated resonator from doktor A 2 years ago

Ininkus
08-28-2016, 04:54 AM
Resurrecting a very old thread, but I wanted to provide an update for anyone that stumbles upon this while searching "Drone Noise or Exhaust Noise" like I was. :thumbup:

I had a drone noise, exactly as described in these messages, would come and go mostly at highway speeds. Would go away if I let off the accelerator pedal, or go away if I downshifted and put my foot into it more.

I was 90% certain it was exhaust related. Either a bad joint or a rust spot, etc. I was wrong. Brought the van in for oil change and had the transmission service done as well: Problem solved. The drone noise is completely gone.

FWIW; I have experienced RSN, and this drone noise is not that. Much more constant and something I could turn on and off by adjusting how I drove on the highway.

Cheers. :cheers:

My '04 2500 140" wb sprinter had this drone noise. It went away when I had the transmission serviced at 65K miles. New fluids, dropped the pan for inspection, etc. The noise came back at 92,000 and I put up with it for a while, but I just had the tranny serviced again at 94K, and VIOLA! The noise is gone again.

I really think Mercedes is a bit ambitious with their "no service for 80,000 miles" claim. Take the tranny in, have it serviced. New fluid, drop the pan, clean the filters etc. I'll bet you a Barvarian filled chocolate covered doughnut that it solves the problem.

mattg
08-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Ininkus,
Thanks for the update. I purchased a 2005 118wb passenger model and have been trying to locate the droning noise. It occurs roughly at 2700 rpm in 4th and overdrive under modest acceleration and reverberates throughout the cabin. The noise became very noticeable at 65-73 mph maintaining constant speed.

I have serviced the transmission and performed the RSN mod. The correct fluids were used along with filter and gasket. The torque converter was drained as well.
Yesterday I replaced the driveshaft center support bearing and the range at which the hum starts and stops was shortened. Now the noise is loudest at 67-71mph.
I think I'll service the transmisson again.

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
08-28-2016, 10:03 PM
In my case for my 06, I immediately heard a similar whistling, rising and falling with the RPMs , when I installed the straight pipe turbo option from Riordanco. I am still tempted to wrap some muffler quieting material around it and hope this does does create an overheating for the aluminum pipe piece. I wonder if a ceramic coating on this straight pipe could be employed to muffle the whine. The dependability of this one time fix deserves a modifying of this whistling and my whine about it. Thanks to all here.

Aqua Puttana
08-28-2016, 11:02 PM
... I am still tempted to wrap some muffler quieting material around it and hope this does does create an overheating for the aluminum pipe piece. ...
Neither the OEM Turbo Resonator (and plastic replacements) or the billet aluminum replacement are intended to appreciably cool the air flow.

Two reasons that I say this.

There is too little length and surface area.

If cooling was wanted there would be some sort of ribs to increase the surface area.

Add sound deadening to your heart's content, for the help it may or may not provide.

Back to topic.

:2cents: vic

sailquik
08-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Vic
+ why would they try to cool the charge air before it enters the Charge Air Cooler which installed specifically
to cool the air compressed by the turbo charger before it goes into the engine?
Roger

Aqua Puttana
08-29-2016, 01:24 AM
Vic
+ why would they try to cool the charge air before it enters the Charge Air Cooler which installed specifically
to cool the air compressed by the turbo charger before it goes into the engine?
Roger

Because any cooling is beneficial? :idunno:

That said, as a practical matter I see no reason for the TR to be expected to cool things because as you say, the intercooler is designed for that.

I have no supporting data.

vic

cahaak
08-29-2016, 02:31 PM
There is an extremely high likelihood that the drone noise is in fact from the transmission. It may take several fluid changes (including the TC) or a more detailed cleaning of the transmission plates. I had this in a terrible way when I first purchased my '06 tranny fluid change and mostly gone, second change and essentially all gone since. The issue is that it transmits along the drive shaft and then through the floor of the whole van. Speed is usually around 70 mph as noted. It is not RSN as noted, but the noise can be so intense that it drives you crazy.

Chris

mattg
09-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Plan A: I completed a second transmission fluid change along with the connector plate, connector plug, etc and the noise seems to be the same. My gut says itís the rear end but gears and bearings are more than I want to spend right now on what could be a maybe and servicing the transmission over and over is expensive. Not sure where to spend the money just yet.

Plan B: Sound deadening. If you canít fix it, at least you don't have to listen to it, right? Pulled the rubber floor mat and found rivets rather than screws. I figured a way to reuse rivets (aluminum only) that pass through thick material (.375 - .5 in) working some 15 years ago as a mechanic and have almost always had good results over the years. You need the rivet body to be long enough so you form an internal thread. This negates having to completely drill out the rivets and run new hardware from the other side of the vehicle. I don't like adding to my rust woes with additional exposed steel so this has been my go to whenever I run into this specific set of conditions.

Anyone going the route of sound deadening with Fatmat, Dynamat, etc feel free to try this mod and see the attached pictures for reference:
1. Drill the top of the rivet head; slightly hit the mat material to allow for undercut. Don't overdo the depth because the screw will also crush into the soft material (wood) slightly. Remove the floor and somewhat sticky insulation.
2. Drill out the rivet heads to .1065 in. diameter and adjust depth if using deeper screws (takes 30 seconds each). I picked a generic .106 drill on this application as it is close enough to the tap drill for 6-32 threads and is not much more than somewhat of a reaming of the rivet head allowing for ease of drilling while maintaining wall thickness for strength. You can use a specific drill No.36 or just be close as aluminum is fairly forgiving.
3. Tap to full depth without stripping out the newly created threads. Threads are 6-32 in the body of each rivet. Use a bottoming tap or grind your tap to make it bottom out. Note: If you do not drill and tap you can sometimes still install the screws still but there will be a tendency for the rivet to spin which defeats the purpose. I suggest taking the time to tap the threads instead of thread forming with screws.
4. Install your sound deadening material and the wood floor. Note that it takes just under 50 square feet to do the bottom floor in a 118 wb. This is also a good time to do the side panels if you desire. Order your material accordantly.
5. Install the screws (use stainless if you have them to limit rust). If you drilled into and chamfered the wood floor sufficiently during rivet head removal, the screws will set into the recess allowing for a flush fit. You can chamfer the hole now but then you get FOD in the threaded hole.
6. Reinstall the rubber mat, seats, etc.

One call a/c
09-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Sounds familiar. I had the same droning sound that ended up being the bearings in the rear. Had them replaced , nice n smooth now. Bought the kit online ( timkin ) and paid 550 labor to replace. The kit was 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattg
09-08-2016, 12:31 AM
Did you happen to get a look at your gear teeth in the back before they pulled the bearings? I popped off the differential cover during the fluid change and saw what looks like chatter marks on the teeth. Granted they are small (less than .001) deep but they are visible. I am hesitant to change the bearings without gears to find myself going back in there a second time. Worse yet finding myself back at it changing the bearings a second time.

I have had my eyes on a listening device that transmits sound on multiple channels but at 200 bucks it's nearly half the cost of a rear end parts kit. I wonder how many people with the droning noise have the 3.73 rear end.

One call a/c
09-09-2016, 01:07 AM
The gears were fine. Actually the only bearing that showed any wear / pitting was the front pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk