First service time.....

bds325is

Is it that important to go to the dealer for the first service?? Can I have my Euro mechanic just do an oil service , or is there More...........??? I welcome all opinions-Thanks guys!:idunno:

sailquik

Hi bds325is,
Check your Sprinter Maintenance Booklet.
The 1st service is quite extensive (tighten certain bolts), and lots of things to check.
It is definitely NOT just an oil change.
If you can get your Euro mechanic to do all that, for less than the estimate you
get from the MB dealer where you bought your Sprinter, I would be suprised.
If anything needs to be replaced, you will have to take it to the MB dealer
to have it evaluated and repaired under warranty.
Does your euro mechanic do the DPF test and have the special key and
fluid to replenish the urea for the blue Tech?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

bds325is

I live about 2hrs from MB dealer, thats what lead to the question...
Adblue is done , but if its a necessary visit to keep my baby at 100% I will make the trip! Thanks for the advise.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I know little of the 2010 Sprinters in our market's geography.

I do know that the first service for 2007 Sprinters included a laundry list of things to check including putting a torque wrench on the chassis fasteners between the suspension and the frame in the rear of the vehicle.

I went to the dealership that sold my Sprinter to me for its first service. I was working for a customer of my employer at the time, in Portland, OR where I purchased the vehicle.

I contacted another forum member (cedarsanctum, who lives in the area) for local advise to find a non-crowded highway so I could drive, quickly and get as close to 10,000 miles as possible.

My first service was at at a point where the odometer said, "9980 miles," on a day that I wasn't working.

I did this so the record would show when, where and at how many miles on the odometer that the first service was performed.

Looking back on it, I'm not sure I'd make the same decision again.... but I have a Freightliner Sprinter.... and it was done when Dodge ruled the roost. Today, with what I know, I dont' think I'd make the same decision. If "warranty" is important, take it to a dealer's service dept. If not, do it yourself, but do all of it yourself. Don't stop at the filter changes.

-Jon

Top Bottom