PDA

View Full Version : Any 4x4 Panel Vans in the US?

huskyhauler
07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
There's a good chance that Mrs Huskyhauler and I will be coming over the big pond for an extended stay in the US of A. (along with the 20 most important members of our family)

The vast majority of dog teams use 4x4 pick ups with dog boxes built onto the flat beds. Our dogs are used to inside kennels in our Sprinter and make way to much noise when they are in the pick up version - I think because they can see out and see people etc moving around.

Are there any manufacturer 4x4 vans available - we'd be in NH but happy to buy from any state.

Altered Sprinter
07-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Yo'd better bring one in if your after a high top,No 4x4 sprinters on the US side a few in Canadian private imports sectors but special licence need for these.
The US has stacks of 4x4 Rock crawlers but not in the real high tops unless it's a custom body
Richard

huskyhauler
07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Yo'd better bring one in if your after a high top,No 4x4 sprinters on the US side a few in Canadian private imports sectors but special licence need for these.
The US has stacks of 4x4 Rock crawlers but not in the real high tops unless it's a custom body
Richard

I like the look of that truck. (apart from the lurid green)

Altered Sprinter
07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
It's Ok if your a greeny:laughing:
richard

Scott_Mc
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Are there any manufacturer 4x4 vans available - we'd be in NH but happy to buy from any state.

As Altered Sprinter stated, no Sprinter 4X4 here, but we'de love it if you would bring one in!

There are 4X4 Ford and Chevy vans but they are reworked 2WD vans by a seperate company. They are few and far between but available. Also I know Chevy made (makes still?) an "all wheel drive" version of their "full sized" van. Pretty good for getting around on the slippery stuff but not suitable for "off road" driving.

sikwan
07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Two brands come to my mind; Quigley (http://www.quigley4x4.com/pages/index.cfm?fuseAction=page&upID=51)and Sportsmobile (http://sportsmobile.com/). Both make heavy duty 4x4's if that's what you're looking for, otherwise GM (Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana) come with the oem AWD.

huskyhauler
07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Cheers guys

It's not so mucg that we want to go rock crawling - but running sleddogs all winter means we're going to see more than our fair share of snow. I don't want to end up in the ditch......

AWD good enough?

sikwan
07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
AWD good enough?

IMHO, yes.

IvanC
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Chinook in Washington state makes RV's based on American 4X4's.

There are also a few older Unimog-based RV's in the USA:

http://www.eurotech-services.com/

http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/

http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

http://www.unimogwherehaus.com

jdcaples
07-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I've observed that the factory AWD options for commercial panel van vehicles like the Chevy Express are only offered in the lightest-duty vehicles: No diesel engine option, 1/2-ton (1500) class chassis.

It might not be an issue for your application but - in my opinion - the vehicles don't have the longevity of a heavier-duty panel van equipped with a diesel engine and a sturdy transmission.

It's unfortunate that the North American van market does not see the value in 4x4 drive trains motivating an enclosed, weather-resistant vehicle.

-Jon

Scott_Mc
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Cheers guys

It's not so mucg that we want to go rock crawling - but running sleddogs all winter means we're going to see more than our fair share of snow. I don't want to end up in the ditch......

AWD good enough?

I'm with Seek, from your description AWD will certainly do the job. Particularly helpful in a van with little or no weight in the back.

Here, I built one for you (http://www.chevrolet.com/byo/buildSummary.cv;jsessionid=0PWRW4210U4QQCQN1EBCDSQ KBXMQKIPS?selectedOptions=G80&selectedOptions=UA1&selectedOptions=NB8&selectedOptions=V10&selectedOptions=KG3&selectedOptions=Z82&selectedOptions=AU3&selectedOptions=UM7&selectedOptions=DT4&selectedOptions=BA3&selectedOptions=B46&selectedOptions=V37&selectedOptions=YA2&fromPage=Option&inValidOptions=&modelDesignator=CH13405&pvc=11122&exteriorColor=Dark+Blue+Metallic+&colorOptions=25U%5E93G%5EAS5&styleId=AWD+1WT&interiorColorId=93G&make=Chevrolet&seatTypeId=AS5&model=Express+Cargo&regularOptions=G80%5ENB8%5EUA1%5EV10%5EKG3%5EZ82%5 EAU3%5EUXZ%5EUM7%5EDT4%5EBA3%5EB46%5EV37%5EYA2&modelId=010&wheelBaseId=34&y=12&exteriorColorId=25U&x=35&year=2007&driveType=AWD+Drive&interiorColor=Medium+Pewter+Custom+Cloth+&wheelBase=Regular+Wheelbase&subModelId=21&makeId=001&subModel=1500&style=AWD+1WT&zip=02130&wheelBaseLength=0&driveTypeId=8&vehicleModel=%2Fimages%2Fgmbp%2F13001%2Fvehicle%2F 2007%2Fmed%2F21_722J.gif&driveTypeLength=2&x=41&y=21) :smilewink:

sikwan
07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure if you can do it (depending on the options), I would add to Scott's build sheet the driver's side barn doors. Of course that would rid of the sliding passenger door and replace it with passenger barn doors.

Another thing about the diesel in the GM van, you don't get the allison transmission (5spd auto) and it's a premium over the petrol version. With ONLY $3 a gallon here (what is it like $6-$7 in the UK?) and with diesel and petrol hovering within 20 cents of each other, I would just opt for the gas version.

huskyhauler
07-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm with Seek, from your description AWD will certainly do the job. Particularly helpful in a van with little or no weight in the back.

Here, I built one for you (http://www.chevrolet.com/byo/buildSummary.cv;jsessionid=0PWRW4210U4QQCQN1EBCDSQ KBXMQKIPS?selectedOptions=G80&selectedOptions=UA1&selectedOptions=NB8&selectedOptions=V10&selectedOptions=KG3&selectedOptions=Z82&selectedOptions=AU3&selectedOptions=UM7&selectedOptions=DT4&selectedOptions=BA3&selectedOptions=B46&selectedOptions=V37&selectedOptions=YA2&fromPage=Option&inValidOptions=&modelDesignator=CH13405&pvc=11122&exteriorColor=Dark+Blue+Metallic+&colorOptions=25U%5E93G%5EAS5&styleId=AWD+1WT&interiorColorId=93G&make=Chevrolet&seatTypeId=AS5&model=Express+Cargo&regularOptions=G80%5ENB8%5EUA1%5EV10%5EKG3%5EZ82%5 EAU3%5EUXZ%5EUM7%5EDT4%5EBA3%5EB46%5EV37%5EYA2&modelId=010&wheelBaseId=34&y=12&exteriorColorId=25U&x=35&year=2007&driveType=AWD+Drive&interiorColor=Medium+Pewter+Custom+Cloth+&wheelBase=Regular+Wheelbase&subModelId=21&makeId=001&subModel=1500&style=AWD+1WT&zip=02130&wheelBaseLength=0&driveTypeId=8&vehicleModel=%2Fimages%2Fgmbp%2F13001%2Fvehicle%2F 2007%2Fmed%2F21_722J.gif&driveTypeLength=2&x=41&y=21) :smilewink:

Thanks - but way too small cargo space. I'm never going to get 20 dogs and sleds, harnesses etc in there.:thinking:
When I did this trip last time, I bought a F350 with a 10' bed for the dog boxes.

Gas here costs around $8 a gallon just now :idunno:

Scott_Mc
07-15-2007, 01:11 PM
....It's unfortunate that the North American van market does not see the value in 4x4 drive trains motivating an enclosed, weather-resistant vehicle. Well, there is the Excursion?

Seek I don't think the AWD is available with the Duramax anyways so it's one or the other. My guess is that engine would tear up the drivetrain in short order.

Huskyhauler it sounds like you may need to purchase similar this time around. There are likely a decent selection of newer used (are you looking for new or used here) vehicles that would suit your needs aside from the desire for something even close to decent fuel economy.

jdcaples
07-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, there is the Excursion?

Ford stopped making the Excusion in 2005 and it was an SUV and incapable of containing twenty dogs

Seek I don't think the AWD is available with the Duramax anyways so it's one or the other. My guess is that engine would tear up the drivetrain in short order.

That's correct. In fact, GM detunes their van-mounted Duramax to match the transmission specs. They won't change the form factor to accomodate the Allison transmission.

They need to change the form. The whole line needs rethinking, anyway.

If the HHR can mimic the PT Cruiser, why can't the Express mimic the Ford Transit?

Huskyhauler it sounds like you may need to purchase similar this time around. There are likely a decent selection of newer used (are you looking for new or used here) vehicles that would suit your needs aside from the desire for something even close to decent fuel economy.

Everyone I know wishes that the superior Dodge power plants could be put in a superior body to the Dodge line. Freightliner MT55 is a Cummins powered Chassis.

I see more Utilimaster step vans than anything. They seem to last for decades doing delivery-duties.

Utilimaster is a chassis upfitter... much like one can get an RV based on a Sprinter, Utilimaster will put a big, ugly box on a drive train and call it a "Step Van."

I would contact Utilimaster - talk to someone on the phone, not email - and ask if there are 4x4, medium-duty stepvan options available for heated, comfortable, canine transport.

That's the only kind of vehicle I can think of that comes in a 4100 mm or greater length.

I don't know about the 4x4 option, but Utilimaster will build a step van based on the Freightliner MT55.... the MT55 comes with a bullet-proof 6.7 L Cummins ISB engine and an Allison 2500 transmission...

I believe, with some research, you would be able to build something that could go anywhere a forest-service emergency vehicle could go, in any season.

Start here.

Utilimaster Corporation
65906 State Road 19
P.O. Box 585
Wakarusa, IN 46573-0585
U.S.A.
+1 574-862-4561

-Jon