OBD Error Codes: P0673 and P0380

ducsingle

2005 118 tall with about 93k miles.

My check engine light was on on and my ScanGauge II reported error codes P0673 and P0380. I cleared the codes and the check engine light hasn't returned for the past day.

Searching the archives indicates P0673 is a glow plug fault on cylinder #3.

P0380 is a little more confusing. I found some posts indicating this was a crankshaft position sensor fault, some posts indicating a glow plug circuit fault, and some posts indicating an intake air heater relay #1 control circuit fault?

I've read through all the posts about the unreliability of glow plug circuit faults, the dos and don'ts of testing and replacing glow plugs, and the modified glow plug circuit with external fuses. Current plan is to see if the faults return, and if so, dig into the glow plugs and glow plug circuit.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
2005 118 tall with about 93k miles.

My check engine light was on on and my ScanGauge II reported error codes P0673 and P0380. I cleared the codes and the check engine light hasn't returned for the past day.

Searching the archives indicates P0673 is a glow plug fault on cylinder #3.

P0380 is a little more confusing. I found some posts indicating this was a crankshaft position sensor fault, some posts indicating a glow plug circuit fault, and some posts indicating an intake air heater relay #1 control circuit fault?

I've read through all the posts about the unreliability of glow plug circuit faults, the dos and don'ts of testing and replacing glow plugs, and the modified glow plug circuit with external fuses. Current plan is to see if the faults return, and if so, dig into the glow plugs and glow plug circuit.
Lets step back a little with some real Mercedes advice.
Yuu indicate Glow plug cylinder no3 as P0673
The code activation is specific:P1481-005 for a five in line.
Duration of glow plug unit monitoring phase via string data type.
Control unit CR test via diagnostic is based on engine speed current for first and last..value 0 unit 1/min.
Coolant temperature is set for ideal testing at 63.1 c
Glow output string test ----- relates to pulse activation=voltage
Current injected quality current value 28.66 mm`3/Hub No 3 cylinder.
Filter status: All control units..ECU
CR common rail. test result -F- fail;
K1 Instrument cluster. MB 001468521 test result -J-
WSP Timed: AB airbag Timed: Can bus test result -J-
Cell co-ordinate .
Tests reveal on sting data type Glow plug No 3 needs to be replaced.
This is not to be assumed as correct as to testing for an open fuel injector on No3 of which results in a delayed glow plug signal from shutting down the activation of glow plug no3 ...[2seconds]... Basically it's running hot with an open timer circuit,this has no reference to a Glow plug relay but if the plug is open full time voltage will burn out the fuse or the electrical digital signal control unit in either a Tin or NCV.
Cause can be a fuel dump with a carbon blockage on the tip of a glow plug,this will crate a false voltage signal via can bus relays , Injector partial blockage with contamination at tip or excessive carbon on valve face,
Solution:...Run fuel to a few gallons and dump a high dose of Upper cylinder lubricant into fuel, run till almost empty, then repeat test three times, glow plugs will self correct[No warning lights] if carbon is the cause.
Its a 50/50 chance your fuel is the problem.
Richard

Top Bottom