Run Up Run down

Mrdi

I typically warm my NCV3 1 minute upon initial start up before departing and travel conservatively when first underway to allow the diesel to warm.
With our vehicles beginning to need new batteries the topic has been alluded to that the Sprinter may need to have a 1 minute idle time at the end of a journey to take care of the shut down needs of the system. It has been suggested that perhaps lack of the 1 minute idle before shut down is putting a load on the battery after shut down and thus a premature battery failure.

Idling before shutdown and a battery drain as a result of the system needs are unfamiliar practices to me.
Are there preferred practices regarding the above?

Comments and individual starting and shut down protocols welcome.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have used a 5 minute turbo time since 2005 set at two minutes simply to cool the turbo down and in doing so dissipating excessive heat, thus the cool down prevents the beraing lubrication from cooking.
I only do this on a 600 plus K run,of which is rare.
My batteries are OEM original no issues.
Richard

Diamondsea

This is not discussed in the owner's manual and I believe the reason is that there is nothing to talk about. Modern diesels should warm up quickly for lowest pollution and best fuel economy. Just start and go. I would avoid excessive RPMs (over 3000) and speed the first couple of miles or so. Do not floor the accelerator or instantly jump to 70MPH. At shutdown the old thinking was that the turbo should cool down so the oil in the bearings would not be burned by the residual heat and turn to varnish leading to turbo bearing failure. This seems to not apply with modern turbos. We have been through a similar change of thinking in the marine industry with small diesels. Monster size ship engines are a different situation.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
The 1 minute idle before shutdown, while a not bad thing for the turbo, will do nothing to prevent battery failure. The loads after shut down (EGR cleaning and turbo vane swipe) are there no matter what.

My opinion, due to the somewhat lousy charging/battery cable design and overall electrical system design, these batteries are never receiving a proper full charge. A battery as large as a group 49 needs a steady stream of 14.3 to 14.4 volts. Our ECM controlled alternators do not look at battery voltage, so if the ECM sees what it wants and the cables have not let the same voltage reach the battery, it will lower alternator output based on the ECM reading alone.

Even with my new cables, I still charge my batteries weekly at a steady 14.3 volts with my inverter/charger set up I have in my bunk, I don't trust the stock charging system.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Maybe a separate "Air Tab" posting is in order. I would like to know more about results and a picture of the installation. Could you measure a change in mileage?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is a thread of Air Tabs/Vortex Generators:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2768

A battery as large as a group 49 needs a steady stream of 14.3 to 14.4 volts. Our ECM controlled alternators do not look at battery voltage, so if the ECM sees what it wants and the cables have not let the same voltage reach the battery, it will lower alternator output based on the ECM reading alone.
My T1N's ScanGauge shows 14.3 volts as the typical running voltage.
I cross-verified it with separate digital voltmeter.
However, the T1N wiring is pretty direct... alternator to power distribution block, which is bolted to the battery's post.
About an 18 inch cable run.

--dick

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
What kind of temps are you exposing them OEM batteries too?
It's subject I'm leaving this until the new year as I want to see how the new format is being setup
In brief two temps are exposed for evaluation at high elevation and coastal ,but well within the boundaries of acceptability.
Where a spike does come in is rapid high climb elevations and the turbo does get hotter.
Turbo timer's do work effectively, after long runs when your at the max operating temputures.
Richard

Top Bottom