Replacing an Alternator questions.

Trick

Hi Im replacing the alternator on a 2004.

The problem I am having is I can't get top 2 torx bolts out. There is no room to get the torx socket on, somethings in the way. Not sure what it is in the way but its got a radiator hose hooked up to it, then goes into a plastic looking canister thingie? I think it might be part of the turbo.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and know how to get access to the top 2, e-12 torx bolts?

Last edited:

bc339

The canister is the turbo resonator. Remove it - it has a hose clamp, two fasterners on the front of the bracket, and pull it out of the turbo, it's a friction fit. The turbo support bracket will need to be removed too, remove the bolt at the bottom of the turbo first, that will make it easier to remove it from the alternator.
Try either using a universal joint with your socket or a 12 point box end wrench on the top bolts. You may need to re-install a bottom bolt to relieve the tension on the top bolts that are now holding the weight of the alt.
Bruce

Trick

Sweet. I got her installed. Just gotta put the belt on. Not a bad job, for someone that knows what they are doing is probably could be done in an hr. For me a sorry excuse for a mechanic, 3 hrs. :)

For future info you can use a 3/8 & 1/4 socket or wrench on the torx bolts.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe next time on the alum. turbo resonator.

Top Bottom