Help......2010 Not Starting

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
My sprinter won't start!!!! :cry: I usually just put the key in, turn to 2nd position,(wait for glow plug light to go off)then turn to 3rd position, release and it starts! Now when i try to start... @ 2nd position, all dash lights, lit up, then kept blinking and I was hearing clicking sounds from the dash. No starter sound, not even trying to start. Yes I have power in my batteries. Outside temp is 31degrees. I even ran my heater (10kv water) thinking may the fuel was starting to gell????

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Put some fuel in a jar and keep it outside. You'll know if it's gelling. People have used a hair dryer on the fuel filter to get fluid flowing.

I doubt at 31F your fuel's gelling. I think it's something else.

-Jon

johnshmit

Starter solenoid is clicking not getting enough current to spin the motor?
Bad battery cell? has voltage but cannot provide current?
Bad connection on battery post or quick disconnect?:idunno:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
sorry but 1st post from the 2010 dead thread:

I bought a 2010 Freightliner Sprinter cargo van on Wednesday and today(Saturday) it doesn't start. The dash lights up and the key turns all the way to the right but no movement with the starter. It has 156 miles on it. I have not driven the van yet. It was delivered and today I was going to load it.The Sprinter dealer sold me on a 2 hour diagnostic guarantee when I bought it(Atlantic Truck Center in pompano). That was a big lie. They did get it towed in.

Talked to the dealer today and they have had 4 in a row that have done the same thing and all 4 had to get the 25 amp circuit breaker installed.They said they contacted MB to notify them for a possible recall.

Last edited:

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
I called MB roadside to come get me .It took ALL DAY to get a tow co. that knew how to to hook a sprinter. The 1st tow company came, and I wanted him to try to jump me,(as I still think the starter battery is week due to the 1 hr that the AUX heater ran this morning. It was the 1st time I actually used the water espar, other than just getting it to go on, by putting ice on the sensor )He couldn't get me started(I don't think his jump start box was strong enough or he didn't make good contact, as for a moment, the lights on the dash stopped blinking and was normal, as he was fumbling around with the jumper cables) So now he hooks me up to the flat bed and soon gives up when I realize and point out, that his flatbed is too small and that he is bottomed out on my hitch. 3rd tow company came by and advised the MB roadside assistance that sprinters are too tall to be flat bedded,and should only be towed!!!!. Finally MB roadside assistance called a tow co from the MB dealer that was the 2nd furthest away from my house (guess Im one of the lucky ones to have over 10 MB /FL dealers within 50 miles of my home)This tow co, called me to find out why other tow co's in the area were having problems. I explained I have a 3500 170 ext, converted to an RV, They said they do EXT sprinters ALL the time, and will be over in 100 minutes. He showed up with a splitback flatbed and looked as he had done this before and was able to get my BEAST on the flatbed by putting 2x4s under the rear wheels to get the extra clearance for the rear hitch(and my black/gray tanks,and gen) :clapping:http://jerrystowing.com/ Tune in tommorow, to see how it goes at the dealer

Last edited:

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
Got the Dobervann back :bounce: It was a BAD BATTERY! It took them 8hrs to replace it:thinking: The van was towed there last night, I was there at 745am today to make sure it was written up right. I called them at 11am to see how it was going.They said they were able to jump start it and are still doing tests.I called again at 445 pm, wondering whats going on, they said, it was finishing up and I can come pick it up

Chandlerazman

That's a nice looking rig from your photo perspective. I had my van recently towed for an ECU issue and also a bad battery. My van was towed ass up.

Chandlerazman

Jon, it was after. The problem was rooted to the failure of the battery. I also remember the tuning shop hooking up a battery charger while doing their work. I do not think Sprinters like to be poked around electrically. Also, the dealer found out that the ASR system was the cause as well. Ever since I got the van, the ASR never did anything when I played with the button. I was told that there was a command string that was never programmed in at factory. The ECU didn't fail electrically, but rather that the command string would not take into its memory. Once the thing was all put back together, they sent it back to DynoComp and never had an issue ever since. Not one light of any color lit up on my dash! It's been a few months so far. All this made sense to me since they were able to run it on the dyno with no issues. I spoke to DynoComp regarding this and they would have disabled the ASR via software to run the dyno portion of the test, however, the van didn't go into ASR mode on its own, so they did their magic. Overall, I am still pleased with the performance. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. At first, I wasn't sure it was worth the cost but over time, the van is so much more drivable in my neck of the wide and long roaded woods!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Jon, it was after. The problem was rooted to the failure of the battery. I also remember the tuning shop hooking up a battery charger while doing their work. I do not think Sprinters like to be poked around electrically. Also, the dealer found out that the ASR system was the cause as well. Ever since I got the van, the ASR never did anything when I played with the button. I was told that there was a command string that was never programmed in at factory. The ECU didn't fail electrically, but rather that the command string would not take into its memory. Once the thing was all put back together, they sent it back to DynoComp and never had an issue ever since. Not one light of any color lit up on my dash! It's been a few months so far. All this made sense to me since they were able to run it on the dyno with no issues. I spoke to DynoComp regarding this and they would have disabled the ASR via software to run the dyno portion of the test, however, the van didn't go into ASR mode on its own, so they did their magic. Overall, I am still pleased with the performance. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. At first, I wasn't sure it was worth the cost but over time, the van is so much more drivable in my neck of the wide and long roaded woods!
Simon the string data type test your dealer is referring to is the pulse for voltage only, ASR is reactivated by a tech via canbus through the systems of DAS to reset, as both speed sensors are integrated with the signal activation for ASR.
As your battery was faulty, you were experiencing a malfunction for under-voltage via your ECU.
Its seams DynoComp has more clues than your dealership.
Richard

businessgypsy

Curiosity fed the dog
...The dash lights up and the key turns all the way to the right but no movement with the starter...they have had 4 in a row that have done the same thing and all 4 had to get the 25 amp circuit breaker installed...
Same symptoms on my 2010 today. Where was the 25amp breaker installed? I'm dead in the road. THANKS!

Top Bottom