dead battery

jmgasior

jmgasior
just went outside to go out in my 2008,hasn,t been used in 3 weeks and find the battery dead,really surprised as I dont beleive that I have any phanthom draws,anyhow went to book and doesn, talk abt putting on a battery charger,I would think I would connect it just like I was jumping the van,any disagreements on this?also is it ok to put it on a battery charger?thanks in advance

shanemac

I have used the jump start post under hood to charge battery it does do the job but personally i think its to hard on the starter cables with repeated use, its just my thoughts. Personally a jump start device would be better.

johnshmit

just went outside to go out in my 2008,hasn,t been used in 3 weeks and find the battery dead,really surprised as I dont beleive that I have any phanthom draws,anyhow went to book and doesn, talk abt putting on a battery charger,I would think I would connect it just like I was jumping the van,any disagreements on this?also is it ok to put it on a battery charger?thanks in advance
It is not recomended in manual to prevent some OOps... (wrong polarity, smoke is leaving the ECU...) situation
If you connect charger correctly it should be ok

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I dont beleive that I have any phanthom draws,
Sprinters do have non-zero "phantom draws"
(i don't know the numbers for an NCV3, but it's about a half-amp for a T1N)

...but 3 weeks shouldn't kill a relatively decent battery (mine sits for a month at times)
--dick

The good Doktor A recommends that you use a charger to bring your battery back because jump starting seems to bring on some SKREEM module problems. If you have the time I would charge the battery and avoid jump starts. FWIW. vic

Mrdi

Seems to me the question was can He charge the battery through the jump start post.
There is a jump start post under the hood of some NCV3s. Connecting a battery charger cable + to the jump start post ( it is + pos ) and the other charger cable to a ground bolt under the hood would be an OK way to charge the starting battery.
This would eliminate having to pull up the mats under the steering wheel to access the battery.
Comments welcome, I didn't read this in the manual.

Diamondsea

I believe it should be OK to charge the battery using the jump start terminal by the engine and the ground stud over the wheel well above the computer. I do not believe that this could in any way affect the starter cable as the charging current is vastly smaller then the current carried in this cable when starting the van.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Maintain and Charge with a CTEK ..eight stage floating charge.Built for Mercedes. reverse polarity guaranteed auto disconnect.
100Amp
DSC01623(1) (Custom).JPG
up to 300AMP
DSC01624(1) (Custom).JPG
Richard

Seems to me the question was can He charge the battery through the jump start post.
Oh sure Mrdi,
Here I am spreading the word of safe procedure and you try to bring things back to topic. :tongue:

Thanks. I had forgotten that question was even posed. :doh:

I can't imagine a situation where the jump start lug wouldn't be OK to use with a charger. It is a direct connection to the battery positive designed to provide high amperage starter current. vic

fishermunn

Art Show Van
slightly off topic. is it ok to jump another vehicle with your sprinter? it has come a few times and i politely decline with an excuse of having complicated electronics.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
slightly off topic. is it ok to jump another vehicle with your sprinter? it has come a few times and i politely decline with an excuse of having complicated electronics.
Yes...just leave your headlights or some other electrical load on to absorb any nasty voltage coming from the dead vehicle

OR

Shut your van off while the other vehicle is cranking and starting.:thumbup:

jmgasior

jmgasior
Just dawned on me,is my battery a sealed battery or did I run it dry,the book really does,t spell it out? thanks ,again

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My factory AGM battery from 2007 was not holding a full charge after 18 months. That's why I replaced it, I think. It's been awhile.... I forget exactly what happened, but I do know that I stopped getting voltage unstable DTCs in the Switch Block Module right after changing out the battery.

-Jon

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Jon,
How long ago did you change the battery?
And, did/have you checked out the dreaded Y cable to the battery?
I'd like to determine if this cable is going to be a problem and needs regular inspection.
Jef

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I guess if you have the NCV3 and it will be sitting, you should reach down by the accelerator pedal, and disconnect the battery? Never did it my self, but the dealer said it is real easy, and it will stop all the parasitic discharging in a quick way. Mine says to not disconnect it for 10 minutes after turning off the key for emissions reasons. Maybe the emission cycling at shut down is why those 2010s kill the battery so easy? Mine sounds like Willy Wonka's factory at shut down.:crazy:

GregZ

I've had the battery go "dead" in my 2007 2500 a couple of times due to my stupidity (I haven't connected the power supply to my Sirus to go off with the key and accidently left it on). I used a battery charger attached to the jump start post under the hood on low charge overnight and it worked very well each time.

jmgasior

jmgasior
charged the battety for 7 hours and started ok,will drive it for a couple to make sure all is ok,still dont know if its a maintanence free battery,nowhere in the paper work does it say,and to cold to pull apart the floor to look,thanks

Top Bottom