PDA

View Full Version : Any long term impact on our Remote after a swim?


PeterInSa
12-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Yesterday took out Sprinter to Goolwa SA, parked in the beachside carpark got out a shovel and wire basket to go cockling, put the key/remote in back pocket of my swim shorts, for safe keeping, with the wife and grand daughter walked down the beach and found a place to find cockles.

Tide was at a low point and in ankle to knee deep water with small waves breaking, one cockling method is...you do a hola hola dance (without the Hola) to sink your feet into the sand a find a cockle which you pick up and put in the wire basket. My method was to shovel sand into the wire basket and let the waves wash out the sand and leave the cockles.

All went well for a while, but I found that once I had dug out a bit of sand it was quicker to feel around in the sand with your hands to find the cocles rather than use the shovel, and doing this while kneeling in the water ie on all fours. As you know time and tide waite for no man, so a few waves immersed me and shorts/shirt/pullover, whats a bit of water.....an hour later when back on dry land realised the pocket with the remote was sopping wet and the remote had been in this condition for at least the last 30 minutes.

Let the remote dry in the sun for 2 hours, and its still works no probs. Can I expect any long term problems, ie electrolysis on the battery terminals etc?.

Peter

sikwan
12-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Definitely take it apart and check the inside for salt deposits. If so, remove the battery, wash the electronics with fresh water, and blow dry. Wipe the battery down and maybe measure the voltage before inserting back into remote. It would be a good idea to get another battery if you want depending on how old it is.

BBlessing
12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Definitely take it apart and check the inside for salt deposits. If so, remove the battery, wash the electronics with fresh water, and blow dry. Wipe the battery down and maybe measure the voltage before inserting back into remote. It would be a good idea to get another battery if you want depending on how old it is.

if you wash the electronics with water, you should use distilled water. it has no mineral content. the minerals in tapwater can remain on the sensitive electronics, causing all kinds of new problems.

bb

Oldfartt
12-16-2010, 10:38 PM
After washing as above, use meths to disperse any remaining water or you can use isopropal alcohol, obtained from any pharmacy. Make sure you explain what you are going to use it for as it is also used to manufacture other not so nice products.:hmmm:

Cheers

Ross

jdcaples
12-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Mine took a ride in the washing machine....


http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5661


-Jon

mackconsult
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Salt water is very bad for electronics. Pull the battery out if you can. Gently rinse with fresh dieonized water or alcohol. Put it in a fresh bag of uncooked rice, let it stay in there a couple of days.

PeterInSa
12-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks for your replies.......
After we came home, SWMBO left her Sprinter keys where I leave mine, so now do not know which one had the swim, opened up both sets of keys/remotes to check the battery and both sets are as clean as a whistle ie not sign of any residue, so wiped both sets of batteries with a cloth and put them back together.

Peter

Eric Experience
12-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Peter.
You timed your stunt well, the water where you were is fresh at the moment so no drama, I was doing the same thing just 2 weeks ago in the same spot, except I managed to keep dry, The seal on the remote is very good and yours was wet but not totaly submerged I suspect.
Keep smiling. Eric.