Use of Optional D5 Heater

JimLill

We have 2 06 with this option. It is the Espar Hot Water heater. It will only run when the engine is running from what I can tell.

Now, there is also the Residual Heat (REST) mode that allows you to get heat from the engine when it is not running. I assume there is a small water pump that makes it work.

I am wondering if these 2 could work together so that you could get the Espar to provide heat when parked.

Perhaps it can and I haven't figured out all the HVAC controls yet (!).

nocky

If you have the 7 day timer it will but you have to have the blower switch on 3 or 4. Also make sure you close the 2 vents on top the dash they only blow cold. If you press the middle button (red squiggly line) it will run for 120 min then you press the arrow button to make it shorter.

Attachments

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
It should work. First check your fuses.

Your controls (2006) are different than mine (2002). So adapt accordingly. Just for testing without plugging into your electronics: when cold, turn the key to position 2, turn your controls for heat and the fan at 1, and turn on your Espar. Turn off the key. After a couple of minutes, you should hear a couple of clicks from the igniter, followed by a slowly increasing roar of the heater.

If not, try the above but leave the key on. If it works now, there is some switch that is not staying closed when the key is turned off.

If still nothing, there are about a dozen possible reasons, including bad senors, etc.

Unfortunately, almost every problem you find or can't find will require a trip to your dealer (you are under warrantee still - use it). The newer Espar's error codes are readable from the ECU plug.

My experience with a malfunctioning Espar is laid out in the following link. It only took 3 years to resolve.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148

JimLill

We do not have the Timer module. As we have 2 vans that act the same, I have ruled out failures. The D5 will only light off when the engine is running.

talkinghorse43

What you seem to have has been called the booster heater in the past. My '02 has a switch on the console that will allow it to run for a max of 2hrs w/o the engine running. There was much discussion about your want about a year ago on the yahoo sprintervan forum. I believe, but I don't know for sure, that a solution was eventaully found. IIWY, I'd search the messages there to find out.

swattley

i am no expert here but from what he says if he does not have the timer, than he is right, the heater he see's is just a booster to get the engine warmed up quick, or even in cold climates to keep the engine hot. all the sprinters my company ordered after this test van i have now are equipped that way. you have the REST switch that will keep the cab warm for 20 min by just circulating the engine water and blower on low with engine off. then you have a switch to just activate the aux furnace when the engine runs to get engine to warm up faster. i had one of our dodge sprinters out on a highway in -10 degrees a couple years ago and at 65 MPH the egine temp would drop with out the booster on.

Top Bottom