PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Sprinter another frustration, no power door option

BESLC
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
I just recieved the order codes and options for the 2008 U.S.A. Sprinter. There is no promised power door option, actually nothing new or changed from the 2007. I can't believe Chrysler. It took almost a year , several letters, calls and emails, to be told the power door would come to the U.S. 2008 version. It makes me ill, I have waited going on 2 years to order a Sprinter with a power door so I can do a wheelchair conversion. I do not understand Chrysler and why options that are available in europe are not here. Once again I can see why Chrysler is failing, they can't respond to the market and the wants of customers.
I had the largest Sprinter dealer in the U.S. tell that they had been assured by Dodge that the power door would be an option in 2008. When I recieved the order codes from them, they told me they are egually frustrated with Dodge and the fact that they can not count on anything they are told,
Once again, a huge disappointment, I guess I can hope there is a worthy competitor to Sprinter coming to the U.S. that provides the options needed.

sikwan
07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear that BESLC.

With the sale of Chrysler and the restructuring that's going on, it doesn't surprise me that they would hold back on their promises. I'm sure those waiting for the 2008 AWD option will be as frustrated as well.

Heck at one point, we didn't even know if we were going to get any more Sprinters. :idunno:

Arne
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
@ BESLC,

the power door in germany is also not permanent available. In know one, who waitet also some mounth to order his new sprinter, he gets it next four weeks, but he gets a power door.
As I know, every mounth there get only 20 or 30 NCV3 a power door.:shifty:

Many greetings,

Arne

Altered Sprinter
07-08-2007, 03:22 AM
BESLC
I'm sorry you again have missed the boat on the power door option, it would have solved your issues.
It was offered to the US under the NAFTA program, as Arne said you have to order and wait:drool: these are not sitting on the lot as to the numbers of electronic systems sold. [Special orders]
In reflection! I can not for the love of me work out, why you can not order the vehicle as a special order? OK you wait 14 to eighteen weeks for it. BIG DEAL, it's an export model world wide, from either of the two factories in Germany or from Brazil.

Sprinters play as very small part of the Chrysler organization in the US when you look at the big picture, as to volume of sales! compared to the sedans:thumbdown: which have no value when it comes down to profit, but it is the mainstay of the Chrysler's format for long term Reconstruction of it's future, factories are being closed down, and relocated under contract for out sourcing the for the parts divisions. Mexico is now a player for parts, future Sprinters will come from Argentina, not Germany as to the distance of economics involved and labor costings for profitability. AWD 4x4 two separate specifications, bluetec and 4 cylinders, fully automated manual trans with dual clutches are part of the Sprinters concept for 2009 0NWARDS,, what is holding it back is the technology of the US side of economics towards rebuilding it's Industries infrastructures etc.
This takes time, Politics play a huge roll in this with behind the scenes schemes:thumbdown:
As for another manufacturer bring this option in ! Who? no one is interested in US manufactures, as too a possible alliance, lessons learned from Daimler Benz.
Stats show the Sprinters in the US will take a further three years, before they become a leading contender as the preferred vehicle of choice, as older units on US Highways are replaced to met the specific requirements of US safety mandates and emission controls.
Time is a traveler, if one can wait.
This is what the 'WORLD' was offered in January 2006, for the New Generation Sprinters. Again I'm sorry you missed on the option that is freely available under the free trade agreements
Richard

lewie221
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Hello BESLC,

Do you have those 2008 order codes and options in a form you can share? I'm getting ready to order a 2008 and the differences from 2007 are smallish but significant.

Cheers,
Lewie.

kendall69
08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
This is a stretch, but what about ordering from Canada, or Mexico - or in Europe, on a customer pick up?

Perhaps with those options, you can get the sliding option, now as far as dealer support here in the US, that's another story.

What about some after market people here in the US. I see some things they do on TV that are amazing, like on "pimp my ride etc,". Have you searched this out?

SprintED
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
As far as getting a sprinter up here in Canada....I am pretty sure we have the same option availability on our sprinters up here...probably less, and I am almost certain that power sliding door is not an option.

Plus you probably would have to pay ugly duty to bring it in to the US since it would be new...and you get ZERO warranty coverage at a US dealership on a Canadian Sprinter.

I suspect similar rules/obstacles exsist for Mexico & European models.

Ed

Therberg
09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Found this that may be of interest to many http://www.media.chrysler.com/whatsnew08/dodge_sprinter_new.html

WHAT’S NEW FOR 2008

• Standard 12-passenger seating including new emergency exit window
• Standard four-seat rear bench for cargo vans
• Electronic sliding door for both cargo and passenger vans
• Window prep without glass package for cargo vans
• Standard roof for 3500 cargo van
• Higher maximum payload (5,649 lbs.)
• Parametric Special Module (PSM) prep standard on all models
• Front swivel bucket seats for all models
• Five identification roof lamps (late availability)

When is time to replace my 03 Freightliner ,This option is a must have Driver and Passenger Power Sliding Doors!!!

Tim H.

BESLC
09-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I spoke to a dealer last Friday who indicated that the power side doors will be available for order in December. The current order codes I have on the 2008's do not show this option available. It appears there is going to be a midcycle option list that is not currently available. If this is the case I will be ordering an 08 in a couple of months. If I hear anything else, or a change in order dates I will let you know.

Oh, I also heard you can order differnt seat base heights, I don't know if this is a fact as yet.

jdcaples
09-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Given that Speed (Cruise) Control's available - for the NCV3 in North America - as a retro-fit kit, it wouldn't surprise me to see a retro-fit for the power assisted sliding door, if the power slider actually makes it into the builds.

-Jon

anomaly
09-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Given that Speed (Cruise) Control's available - for the NCV3 in North America - as a retro-fit kit, it wouldn't surprise me to see a retro-fit for the power assisted sliding door, if the power slider actually makes it into the builds.

-Jon

Talked to the parts dude at the local dealership yesterday. He made a valiant effort to identify the parts needed to retrofit my van. Sadly it was unclear what parts were required and whether all of the parts were available.

Found a part # for "Wire Rack" $202
Also, part numbers for "slider", "clip", "insulator", "connector", and
"drive cable" for $18

No more info was available, so I gave up. :cry:

Here's a document showing "what's new" in 2008
http://www.media.chrysler.com/whatsnew08/dodge_sprinter_fs.pdf

Power slider is listed as "late availability"

jdcaples
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Talked to the parts dude at the local dealership yesterday. He made a valiant effort to identify the parts needed to retrofit my van. Sadly it was unclear what parts were required and whether all of the parts were available.

Found a part # for "Wire Rack" $202
Also, part numbers for "slider", "clip", "insulator", "connector", and
"drive cable" for $18

No more info was available, so I gave up. :cry:

Here's a document showing "what's new" in 2008
http://www.media.chrysler.com/whatsnew08/dodge_sprinter_fs.pdf

Power slider is listed as "late availability"

While I didn't say it, I figured that since the NCV3 cruise control kit didn't appear on the North American scene until very, very recently, a power slider - which is probably not on a single a North American dealer lot, perhaps not even ordered yet - would be a something like 18 months out.

Mark at Berry Autos (http://www.sprinterparts.net) seems to be fairly well-connected to the parts supply line for Dodge. He'd have my vote for first-person-to-sell-a-slider-retrofit-kit.

That you asked about it is a good thing. It might expedite availability of a retro-fit kit.

-Jon

BESLC
09-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Update:

I spoke to Dodge corparate today trying to get any current info regarding the 2008 Sprinter. As for the info posted under their media release for "whats New, dated Sept 1, 2007", they indicated that the items listed would be offered on the 08, however when is not yet determined as far as ordering goes. There should be further info available in about 2 weeks.

Micky
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi beslec . i just read your disappointment over power sliding doors. But you can purchase a retro fit kit for Sliding doors ,Front doors and rear doors that i saw when i visited a bus and van show in germany. they all work very well and have small warning bleepers when they opporate Have a look at the address
below. Micky.

Micky
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi beslec . i just read your disappointment over power sliding doors. But you can purchase a retro fit kit for Sliding doors ,Front doors and rear doors that i saw when i visited a bus and van show in germany. they all work very well and have small warning bleepers when they opporate Have a look at the address
below. Micky.5840

Micky
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
below. Micky. ALEX ORIGINAL LTD ENGINEERING CO www.alex-original.com mail info@alex-original.com

sprintereei
09-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Mickey,
What exact vehicle did you see with all these power doors on it ? Was it a 2008 Sprinter ?
Sprintereei@gmail.com

jdcaples
09-10-2008, 04:29 AM
It was probably on the other side of the Atlantic from Wisconsin. Mickey's profile says he's from Devon (http://www.devonlink.co.uk/)