Strut Replacement Questions

famof8

Famof8 + 1 = Famof9!
Hello all, I didn't realize how long it has been since I was last on. Shame on me.

At 231,400 miles it is time to change my front struts. To keep costs down, I will most likely be installing the Monroe 553002, although I would love to make the investment in the Koni's (maybe next time).

My questions are:
1) Do I need to also replace the two bushings (upper and lower) at the top of the strut mount?
2) Anyone with the Monroe's currently installed recommend not using them?
3) Anything else that is recommended to be replaced during the process? (Already have replaced the entire rack & pinion assembly.)

Thanks for your help!

biggreen

Hello all, I didn't realize how long it has been since I was last on. Shame on me.

At 231,400 miles it is time to change my front struts. To keep costs down, I will most likely be installing the Monroe 553002, although I would love to make the investment in the Koni's (maybe next time).

My questions are:
1) Do I need to also replace the two bushings (upper and lower) at the top of the strut mount?
2) Anyone with the Monroe's currently installed recommend not using them?
3) Anything else that is recommended to be replaced during the process? (Already have replaced the entire rack & pinion assembly.)

Thanks for your help!

My rack swap is on the to do list, any suggestions or tricks you might be able to share?

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I just replaced with Munroes with a slight improvement in ride over 8 yr old OEMs but not dramatic. The bushings were not replaced as they were looking like new, not cracked etc.
If you replace the ball joints, rotors, brake pads, tierods or bearings with a mechanic who charges by the hour, you will definitely save labour $$, doing it at the same time.

Oldfartt

Fit Konis. Also if the rubber bushes in the anti sway bar have not been replaced since new then these should be done as well. There are two round bushes on the ends of the dropper arms and two split bushes on the anti sway bar where it is clamped the the chassis. You can tell if the round bushes are worn if the pin that they are mounted on is off center and the hole in the center of the bush is oval. They are very cheap to purchase. For installation use some MB assembly fluid(Olive oil is good! and you can get it from Mother!).

Cheers

Ross

Top Bottom