New rear shocks and sway bar upgrade

BigBlueBus

Hi,
Looking to improve the ride quality of my passenger van.
Not sure if I should go with a new set of Koni or Bilstein shocks. Is a new sway bar really necessary and will I see much improvement?

Also, where to buy the shocks and the sway bar.

thanks,
John

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Does yours currently have a sway bar? Ours came without a rear bar. I would like to add one, but other things keep pushing this further down the priority list.

I highly recommend the Koni's. Worked great all by themselves to cure most of the bad ride and handling of our big blue house. Got ours from John at the Sprinter Store.

Jef

BigBlueBus

Does yours currently have a sway bar? Ours came without a rear bar. I would like to add one, but other things keep pushing this further down the priority list.

I highly recommend the Koni's. Worked great all by themselves to cure most of the bad ride and handling of our big blue house. Got ours from John at the Sprinter Store.

Jef
Thanks Jef,
I forgot to look under there last night to see if it has one, but I think I remember seeing one there sometime back. I've verify tonight and let you know.

I'll definitely go with the Koni's then. Do you think I should also replace the front shocks? I am replacing the tires with a couple sizes bigger in diameter to lower the highway rpms too.

I read a post about some company offering adjustable air suspension for the NCV3's that REPLACES the leaf springs, but I can't find the info. Have you read about this somewhere?

John

cedarsanctum

Last i heard, there are still no Koni front struts available for the NCV3. John at the Sprinter Store would know that. I did not change them so couldn't tell you what that would do, just changing the rears was night and day. I believe that's where MB dropped the ball on the suspension. John does have a heavier than OE rear bar available, which is on my list of wants.
The only reference i can think of for that air suspension system came from Australia or somewhere. It did not get my interest because it goes farther into complication than i'm willing to tread, and is way beyond what i need. The stock setup, with the right components will work just fine. For me.

Jef

BigBlueBus

Last i heard, there are still no Koni front struts available for the NCV3. John at the Sprinter Store would know that. I did not change them so couldn't tell you what that would do, just changing the rears was night and day. I believe that's where MB dropped the ball on the suspension. John does have a heavier than OE rear bar available, which is on my list of wants.
The only reference i can think of for that air suspension system came from Australia or somewhere. It did not get my interest because it goes farther into complication than i'm willing to tread, and is way beyond what i need. The stock setup, with the right components will work just fine. For me.

Jef
Jef,
Do you still have the Koni part number for the rears???:bow:

I just found the front Koni's !!! :thumbup:: http://www.jdmhub.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_963_13594_55282_55283&product_id=166273
The rears are much cheaper too :bounce::
http://www.jdmhub.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_963_13594_55282_55283&product_id=166282

cedarsanctum

Sorry, i never saw the part numbers. I took it in to Upscale, and they put the shocks on. It might be on the invoice, but that is buried in receipts from 2 years ago. If i can find them, i'll post them.
Jef

slsbl77

BBB, The url you posted shows the front Koni's for the T1N. I had them on my 2004 and they made a world of difference. They will not fit the NCV3. They will not even come close.

Bob

BigBlueBus

BBB, The url you posted shows the front Koni's for the T1N. I had them on my 2004 and they made a world of difference. They will not fit the NCV3. They will not even come close.

Bob
Yes I just found that out myself.

The rears are 82-2434, which is the same part number as for the T1N.

I just called the Koni cust. serv. rep, and he said they don't have anything for the NCV3. He was not even aware that the 82-2434 will fit the NCV3. The Sprinter store has confirmed that it will fit but they are also not aware of any aftermarket struts available for the front. I guess the fronts will have to wait.

I just ordered a set for the rears from JDM and a sway bar kit from Sprinter Store.

BTW: my van does have a sway bar in the rear but it's a joke :bounce::bounce::bounce: This thing is only about 3/4" diameter. The one the Sprinter store sells is 1-1/8".

John

I did replace the factory rear sway bar with the bar from roadmaster. They use a bigger diameter bar .......it made a huge difference in handling on the freeway and over slow speed bumps. I just wish someone made a replacement front sway bar!!!

BigBlueBus

I did replace the factory rear sway bar with the bar from roadmaster. They use a bigger diameter bar .......it made a huge difference in handling on the freeway and over slow speed bumps. I just wish someone made a replacement front sway bar!!!
Thanks for the info :thumbup:. I will cancel the order from Sprinter Store and go with the Roadmaster sway bar. They have an auxiliary 1.5" diameter sway bar kit that mounts forward of the rear axle and I get to keep the factory sway bar (which is mounted to the rear of the axle) for extra support.

John

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
There is a upgraded (heavy duty) sway bar for the front, from MB

Last edited:

aadsprinter

Hey guys
if one already has the upgraded back rear sway bar from the Sprinter store can one get the rear sway bar that goes in front of the rear axle.
Where can one get an upgraded (heavy duty) front sway bar from the MB dealers or special order from elsewhere.
Tosin

Last edited:

scubanw3

I have never seen the HD front sway bar. Even on Sprinters that are supposed to have the HD front suspension, the bar is the same diameter. Not sure if it can be ordered. If you can order it separately, installation is a real pain. The control arms and portions of the sub frame need to be removed for the install! We stock the forward auxiliary sway bar but they are designed for the cab chassis Sprinters only. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

aadsprinter

I got a rear upgraded sway bar from the Sprinter store and it looks more robust than the MB HD rear sway bar. Maybe it is not the size that matters just how it is used.:idunno:
Tosin

gte

2008 RS
Will the sway bar and Koni shocks on the rear help with wind sway or mostly with uneven road surfaces, station entrances, etc?. Are both necessary or will shocks alone help a lot.
I just looked under the Roadtrek and there is so much camping stuff under there I do not think a sway bar can be installed. Shocks may be my only option I am most interested in wind sway going down the road. It is not bad but irritating at times. I have a 2008 Roadtrek RS
Gary
2008 RS

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Will the sway bar and Koni shocks on the rear help with wind sway or mostly with uneven road surfaces, station entrances, etc?. Are both necessary or will shocks alone help a lot. I am most interested in road wind sway going down the road. It is not bad but irritating at times. I have a 208 Roadtrek RS
Gary
2008 RS
FWIW: In my experience with a light loaded Sprinter, swaybars will help with wind sway, minimizing fast-tight turn leans, not with uneven entrances/ diagonally traversed speed bumps, swaybars will amplify side-side movement on those, and even lift 1 wheel off the road on very uneven roads.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom