'knocking' through steering wheel while turning over bumps

mwills

hello -

i have a 2007 sprinter with 29k miles. i've noticed some 'knocking' through the steering wheel if i'm going over something rough (small curb, dips in the road, etc.) while turning (at all speeds - especially slow). i 'feel' it mostly through the steering wheel/column. i don't think it is even making a noise per se.

has anyone else experienced the same?

sailquik

Hi mwills;
Can you define "knocking" a little better.....?
Are you talking about a vibration or "shudder" in the steering wheel?
That would be the power steering pump at very slow speeds.
This happens especially at very low speeds when you are turning while everything is cold (just after
start up... particularly in the morning).
It's caused by the cold power steering fluid and the cold valves in the steering pmp.
If you are talking about some other sort of "knocking" that could be a tie rod end (inner or outer)
or perhaps a loose ball joint.
My '06 T1N has done this early morning "shudder" since new. The steering rack was leaking and was
replaced under warranty, but the shudder still happens, but I do not think it is particularly "abnormal".

"i have a 2007 sprinter with 29k miles. i've noticed some 'knocking' through the steering wheel if i'm going over something rough (small curb, dips in the road, etc.) while turning (at all speeds - especially slow). i 'feel' it mostly through the steering wheel/column. i don't think it is even making a noise per se.

has anyone else experienced the same?"

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Check the steering shaft (from the rack up to where it enters the cab). What you are describing could be a worn joint or slip yoke on the shaft. Both of the situations you describe would create a knock if either of these components was worn.

mwills

Hi mwills;
Can you define "knocking" a little better.....?
Are you talking about a vibration or "shudder" in the steering wheel?
That would be the power steering pump at very slow speeds.
This happens especially at very low speeds when you are turning while everything is cold (just after
start up... particularly in the morning).
It's caused by the cold power steering fluid and the cold valves in the steering pmp.
If you are talking about some other sort of "knocking" that could be a tie rod end (inner or outer)
or perhaps a loose ball joint.
My '06 T1N has done this early morning "shudder" since new. The steering rack was leaking and was
replaced under warranty, but the shudder still happens, but I do not think it is particularly "abnormal".

has anyone else experienced the same?"
it is more of a mechanical 'knock' than a shudder. it definitely mimics the topography of the road surface. not that the steering column is moving noticeably, but it seems something close to it is and i'm feeling the vibration.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I experienced a similar "knocking" (it was a hard kick, not a "rounded edges" shudder) in a VW Squareback that had a *slightly* (0.005") undersized shock mounting bolt on the lower arm that held the ball joint.. That tiny bit of play allowed the wheel to get moving (by the road surface) and then it would knock as it hit the shock (which would be a drag on its upward flight).
A wrap of shim stock "cured" the problem (the "bolt" was a part of the arm itself, so a proper fix would have been to replace the lower arm).
I have to admit i didn't find the problem by deduction... i was taking pieces off the front end -seeking- the problem, and the shock just fell off when i removed the nut... totally unlike the other three nuts and bushings.

This is an example of how even a *tiny* bit of "looseness" in the front end can create and transmit "knocks" to the steering column (where you'll feel them).

good luck hunting
--dick

Froggy

My 2007 2500 does the same thing. It's as though something is not as "tight" in the steering or front end suspension as it should be. Because there is rack and pinion, steering, I don't think there is a pitman arm, but the rumble heard sounds something like a worn bushing in a pitman arm when passing over rough surfaces.

I haven't yet checked with both front wheels off the ground. :thinking:

I did reduce air pressure in the front tires, that helped some.

Larry

maher01

08 Passenger/work 144 van
My 08 has the same noise. Read a thread on here a while back about loose calipers on the front end cause this. I still need to look into this, but haven't had time to tear it down. Tom

SRT

Hi-Miler
One of my '08's does this, as well.

I cured a similar noise on my '05 T1N by replacing a broken sway bar bracket, but I checked the brackets on the '08 and they are intact.

Magnum44

Sheesh! My 2007 has a similair problem that started a couple of months ago. On a tight, low speed left hand turn we get a shudder. Almost like crossing a cattle guard. Only on the left side front. It hasn't happened for a while and is very intermittant. Of course the dealer can't find either.

mwills

any update on this? i took mine in for the 40k oil change and the dealer couldn't find anything or replicate. it is really frustrating as i've paid $200 in diagnostic fees now without anyone finding an issue.

Froggy/Magnum44?? both of your descriptions sound very similar.

mine seems to be most prevalent with a tight left turn at slow speeds.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
any update on this? i took mine in for the 40k oil change and the dealer couldn't find anything or replicate. it is really frustrating as i've paid $200 in diagnostic fees now without anyone finding an issue.

Froggy/Magnum44?? both of your descriptions sound very similar.

mine seems to be most prevalent with a tight left turn at slow speeds.
Sorry, I missed this.

Yes, I had a knocking with the steering on my NCV3 and reported it under warranty to the supplying dealer. I could replicate it on demand: a small rotation of the 'wheel in either direction produced a muted "clunk". It seemed to me to be originating in the column not the steering box. I can't say for certain because I never saw the parts but it felt to me like excess play in one of the UJs.

The dealer confirmed it as a known issue and replaced the steering column. No charge to rectify as within warranty period.

I would look at your ball joints too.

Bluenarf

2008 315cdi
I had a similar problem, found it most violent when going over a speed ramp at a slight angle. Remedy: inside tie rod and set of anti-roll bushings.

blakej59

I had to replace a tie rod at about 90,000 miles with similar symptom.

2007 CDI 144" with 100% highway miles. Was more than a little frustrating.

Jim

mwills

gottahav -

thanks, i'll take a look at the front swaybar as well. i am *hoping* it is the above or the outer tie rod on the driver-side.

i can replicate at least part of the knock by just turning the wheel to the left slightly. or when turning the to the right - but only when the wheel rebounds back to the left.

i'm dreading if it is the inner tie rod (rack replacement).

it is frustrating the dealer couldn't find this on a couple occasions. i should have been more persistent but i was tired of giving them $100 to find nothing. now i'm conveniently out of warranty.

Mwills

Mine did the same thing and it cost me a ton of money in parts. Just take the sway bar links off and lift the sway bar up and down and if there is any play then use something to take up the play and put it back together and try it.

mwills

i looked at the bushings between the frame and the front sway bar (stabilizer bar). they look to be in good condition with no play and should keep the bar well separated. it does not look like the other worn bushings i have seen on here.

so, i'm down to the outer tie rod or inner tie rod (rack). it definitely ONLY happens when i turn the wheel to the left. however, when i grab the outer driver's side tie rod i don't feel any play. i'll have someone else turn the wheel while i'm underneath to see if i can further isolate or diagnose .

does this sound like it is the inner tie rod/rack? other suggestions for further troubleshooting?

'06 sprinter

My '10 is in the shop for the same issues, hope they fix it right the first time for the first time lol both vans I've had can never be fixed right the first time from any of the 4 local cert service dealers

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
i looked at the bushings between the frame and the front sway bar (stabilizer bar). they look to be in good condition with no play and should keep the bar well separated. it does not look like the other worn bushings i have seen on here.

so, i'm down to the outer tie rod or inner tie rod (rack). it definitely ONLY happens when i turn the wheel to the left. however, when i grab the outer driver's side tie rod i don't feel any play. i'll have someone else turn the wheel while i'm underneath to see if i can further isolate or diagnose .

does this sound like it is the inner tie rod/rack? other suggestions for further troubleshooting?
is this occurring on 'parking speed' turns?

Top Bottom