Diesel fill up?

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
Another question... Can the sprinter handle the 'truck stop' diesel nozzle? My American diesel vans couldn't handle the nozzle or the speed of the pump. It looks like the sprinter tank openning is large enough... but can it handle the pump speed from a truck stop diesel pump?
I used to hate to fill up at a truck stop as I had to baby the pump nozzle and still got fuel all over the van.

Mrdi

There have been several instances of the truck filling nozzles
popping seals etc on the Sprinter.
Fill slowly or fill at the auto section.

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
I've never had Mrdi's experience at truck stops.
I just jam it in, set the flow as high as it will accept and go take care of other business, never gave it a thought. Never a hint of a problem.

I'll will now start setting the flow rate at the next step down from full flow. THNX Mrdi

Mike

KMDE

Animal Transportation
I fill up at truck stops often usually on the auto side, but every now again with the big rigs.
I have never had a problem and never knew of anything to worry about.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
There have been several instances of the truck filling nozzles
popping seals etc on the Sprinter.
Fill slowly or fill at the auto section.
What seal does it pop? We have a truck nozzle we use in both of the vans, all the time.

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
Great... thanks for the info :thumbup:

I usually fill up at the auto pump as thats what I needed to do w/ american vans. Good to know that now I can fill up anywhere... though I will fill at a slower rate w/ the truck nozzle.

Thanks again.... more questions to come

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
NCV3 (2007 up) and truck stop nozzles = standing there holding the nozzle and a slow fill. Truckstop size nozzles will not sit in the filler neck unattended. If the nozzles didnt fit in your Ford or GM van....they definitely will NOT fit in your Sprinter and stay there.

flman

NCV3 (2007 up) If the nozzles didnt fit in your Ford or GM van....they definitely will NOT fit in your Sprinter and stay there.
Thats funny, they fit in both of my vans? Yours must be different?

Mrdi

The big truck stops usually have both auto and truck fill up stations/islands.
My experience is the auto fill up area is much cleaner and easier to navigate.
I hate picking up a nozzle that is diesel saturated, not to mention all the fuel that is spilled on the ground that gets tracked back into your Sprinter on the bottom of your shoes ( in the truck area ).
If the kids have to use the head then multiply that and the fact they are in a more dangerous area is not appealing.
Use the auto islands if possible.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
NCV3 filler neck. The depth of the large diameter part is only a hair over 1 inch before those fins jut out and get in the way.

Entry amount of something that is car nozzle size (13 or 15/16")

Entry of something that is truck nozzle size (1 31/64")

Current nozzle sizes (from OPW)...your results and local truck stop may vary.

Attachments

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My experience reflects piper1's experience.

I can't use a typical, found-on-the-west-coast, high-flow nozzle in my Sprinter.

The Sprinter's orifice is smaller than a 1993 GM 1-ton, 6.2L diesel cargo van's fuel fill point.

The Sprinter's more of an American car than it is an American truck in many ways; the chief differentiation is vastly superior cargo space and obvious fuel economy. Everything else is pretty much light duty compared to a contemporary American pickup or even a contemporary van.

-Jon

Last edited:

flman

Well, it must be opposite day here, because I owned a few Ford trucks, vans that I had to modify the filler to accept the larger nozzle. I also have owned VW TDIs that took the nozzle as well as my 2 Sprinters, maybe you guys are getting bigger ones yet?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Well, it must be opposite day here, because I owned a few Ford trucks, vans that I had to modify the filler to accept the larger nozzle. I also have owned VW TDIs that took the nozzle as well as my 2 Sprinters, maybe you guys are getting bigger ones yet?
If I recall correctly, the T1Ns could accept larger nozzles (but they had rust issues). Maybe the 2010 nozzle is larger than the 2007/8/9 NAFTA model years.

-Jon

Mike Horton

The Sprinter fuel hole.......she be tight. It would be wise to treat her like a Lady!:shhh: Gentle is the best path when servicing at the big bad truck stop.:smirk:

Mike Horton

.... and for the newbies wondering, Mike drives a T1N.

-Jon
we have both.......1 02 T1N and 2 08 NCV3. looks like we are sending our T1N to our west coast office :yell: I will miss the old girl for sure! For the record I now drive the 08 Dodge converted hillbilly style to a MB known as Vanzilla II.:rad:

Top Bottom