Lights after Ball Joint replacement ?

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I had my squeaking R ball joint replaced by a non-Sprinter mechanic and right after the ABS and EBV light came on, with the ASR malfunction light on and check engine light occasionally. He checked that no wires came loose by the wheel hub and did nothing more than remove and install the ball joint, as I was watching the whole time. Except that the key was in the ignition while it was done to allow the wheel to turn to get the ball joint out, I can't figure out why any sensor lights might come on from this part change. The battery was disconnected for 30 minutes to see if any codes might get reset, but the lights keep coming on, and the check engine light goes on after the van is in motion. Any ideas ? This happen to anyone else? I'm going to the MB dealer for the 1st time on Wed. to check it out.

Last edited:

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Not sure about the T1N, but when I did my ball joints on my NCV3 it is pretty easy to hurt the ABS sensors and wiring. If one of the wires inside the sensor cable is broken or if the sensor has been disturbed it will set a code. The sensors are pretty fragile.

NYC SPRINTERS

I had my squeaking R ball joint replaced by a non-Sprinter mechanic and right after the ABS and EBV light came on, with the ASR malfunction light on and check engine light occasionally. He checked that no wires came loose by the wheel hub and did nothing more than remove and install the ball joint, as I was watching the whole time. Except that the key was in the ignition while it was done to allow the wheel to turn to get the ball joint out, I can't figure out why any sensor lights might come on from this part change. The battery was disconnected for 30 minutes to see if any codes might get reset, but the lights keep coming on, and the check engine light goes on after the van is in motion. Any ideas ? This happen to anyone else? I'm going to the MB dealer for the 1st time on Wed. to check it out.
99% out of a 100% your ABS sensor move from its original position!!! i replace mine ball joints every 12 months NY city roads are just like perfect off road:) and if sensor moves you in trouble just take the wheel off and put the sensor in its original position like it was before!!!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
99% out of a 100% your ABS sensor move from its original position!!! i replace mine ball joints every 12 months NY city roads are just like perfect off road:) and if sensor moves you in trouble just take the wheel off and put the sensor in its original position like it was before!!!
:shhh:
Thats better.

mgmtoo

I just did a tie rod replacement on my van and have A
BS, lights on as well! Do you have to have the codes cleared, and reset?
Thanks

NYC SPRINTERS

I just did a tie rod replacement on my van and have A
BS, lights on as well! Do you have to have the codes cleared, and reset?
Thanks
no reset just put the sensor in its original position and drive the van lights will go out computer will reset automatically

Top Bottom