Check Your Tail Lights!

Datajockeys

I was at my local sign shop making some changes to the vinyl on my van. While chatting with the installer I noticed mold growing inside the seams of the taillight lenses! WTF! :yell:

Can anyone else verify this issue?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I have traces of mold growing around the seams, but I'm not sure if they're inside or outside. I have a T1N though.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I found moss starting to grow in my left-hand tail light assembly once. I cleaned it off and it hasn't come back on either side.

-Jon

Let me beat him to it. Altered Sprinter's are perfect in every way. :tongue: vic

Sorry Richard... couldn't resist. :hugs:

mackconsult

It's been in mine since day 1 .... of course my van has been in the PNW since it was new ....... here we learn to live with the stuff :idunno:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The TINcan's rear lights are particularly susceptible. When I fitted facelifted ones to mine I sealed all around the edge of the new lenses before fitting them - end of mouldy lenses!

Chandlerazman

This thread is too funny! I would have never thought that mold would become an issue on any motor vehicle! Living in Phoenix and especially summer 112ºf heat can assure you that nothing organic will grow :laughing:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I keep mine parked in my shop in a controlled environment like the boy in the bubble, I even have a dehumidifier in there for when the humidity gets too high. I might end up with the most mint NCV3 vehicle in years to come :idunno:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
I keep mine parked in my shop in a controlled environment like the boy in the bubble, I even have a dehumidifier in there for when the humidity gets too high. I might end up with the most mint NCV3 vehicle in years to come :idunno:
Mine gets parked inside also.
A friend of my daughter's sat on a plastic bag of live crickets (food for her lizards) in my Sprinter and I had 2-3 crickets living in there for a few days. I don't know if that counts?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This thread is too funny! I would have never thought that mold would become an issue on any motor vehicle! Living in Phoenix and especially summer 112ºf heat can assure you that nothing organic will grow :laughing:
I bet there are a number of spores that will reproduce - party hard, actually - in thermologically favorable conditions, then transition back into durable nodules when conditions are less favorable.

Life doesn't necessarily require a constant supply of water or other conditions that you and I prefer.

Take the water bear: (yes, I know it's an animal, not a plant.... the thermophylic pseudomonas family creeps me out too much to talk about): Tardigrades can survive vacuum, high pressure, high radiation levels, no water, lots of water. Tardigrades are one of the more durable life forms that, very fortunately for us, is not interested in setting a water bear only zone on our bodies, or on our Sprinters.

-Jon

PS: here's an exerpt from the wikipedia article:
Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of -273°C (-459 °F), close to absolute zero,[5] temperatures as high as 151 °C (303 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[6] and almost a decade without water.[7] In September 2007, tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission and for 10 days were exposed to the vacuum of space. After they were returned to Earth, it was discovered that many of them survived and laid eggs that hatched normally, making these the only animals known to be able to survive the vacuum of space.[8]

Last edited:

Top Bottom