check engine light came on

surlyoldbill

I don't have a DAD or the Sprinter code reader, so I can only stab in the dark. My check engine light came on yesterday while I was coming down the pass on I-80 in a pretty bad rain and wind storm. It flickered on for a second, then went off, and then came on again later and stayed on. There was no loss of power, no funny sounds, temp was OK, no noticable difference. All fluid levels are OK, and it started right up this morning, but the light is still on.

Any guesses as to why it would come on because of extreme rain? I was also on the tail end of a 500 mile drive, and this was probably an hour or so after getting fuel. I would think that the "water in fuel" light would come on if that were the problem (but it didn't once before when I actually had too much water in the filter).

surlyoldbill

I think I figured it out. There was water in my intake. I clean my EGR everytime I change the oil, and there was a few water drops in there as I was checking it today. I checked my air filter box, and sure enough, it was wet. I'm drying everything out and putting it back together.

surlyoldbill

The light hasn't reset itself after a lot of starts and thousands of miles, so I wonder if anyone else has any input on this? I still have zero perfomance issues or funny noises. I haven't tried disconecting the battery yet, and haven't removed the sensors in the intake line to check their status, either. I'm assuming the error is a reading from one of the sensors due to all the water in the intake, but it hasn't reset itself yet. Maybe one of the sensors is burned out.

I still have zero perfomance issues or funny noises.
Maybe one of the sensors is burned out.
You've been doing a good job posting to yourself. :laughing: :tongue::hugs:

You should at least try a generic OBDII scan tool. If your MIL being on is related to an emissions issue a generic scan may give you direction. Autozone, Advanced Auto and places like that will often scan your vehicle for free.

My guess is that it is not a completely burned out sensor or you would have performance issues by now. It may be one that is out of range or "plausibility" issue. Good luck. vic

surlyoldbill

Talking to myself is one of my endearing characteristics. Shouting to myself (and answering) seems to make me less appealing to strangers, I assume it's something wrong with them.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'm always up to trying something for free. I wanted to avoid the $150 trip to the dealer for their 5 minute scan. I'm not a mechanic, so I have no intention of laying out more than $100 on a diagnostic tool that is limited to just one vehicle I own. My diagnostic tool for my Corvair pickup, van and convertible consists of a flashlight, a section of rubber hose to listen to things falling apart in the motor, and a 12vdc check light. My, how far we've fallen into electronic nonsense since the 60's! Like my friends Unimog...

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

Talking to myself is one of my endearing characteristics. Shouting to myself (and answering) seems to make me less appealing to strangers, I assume it's something wrong with them.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'm always up to trying something for free. I wanted to avoid the $150 trip to the dealer for their 5 minute scan. I'm not a mechanic, so I have no intention of laying out more than $100 on a diagnostic tool that is limited to just one vehicle I own. My diagnostic tool for my Corvair pickup, van and convertible consists of a flashlight, a section of rubber hose to listen to things falling apart in the motor, and a 12vdc check light. My, how far we've fallen into electronic nonsense since the 60's!
You can usually get your codes scanned and reset for free at an auto parts store autozone/nappa/oreilly etc. Of course they will want you to buy the replacement/repair part from them, but they probably won't have parts for your Sprinter anyway.
Maybe a forum member near you has a scangauge or the DAD.
You can buy this one from harbor freight for $70:
http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html
Here's one for $60 from Wally World:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-30...0000003260530&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13029622
Here's one for $30 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK

surlyoldbill

The OBD readers aren't really that useful for a Sprinter, and since I'm not a mechanic I can't justify the thousand(s) for a DRB or DAD. I'll stop by FLAPS and see what their OBD says.

I've been able to get most maintenance parts at FLAPS; all filters, brake pads and rotors, and they can get most other bolt on parts.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I can't justify the thousand(s) for a DRB or DAD.
Thousands for a DRBIII? Yes. Thousand(s) for a DAD (Doktor A Diagnostician)???? No.

For less than the price of a typical dealer visit, you can own your own Sprinter tech in a box, the DAD.

And though a significant number of DADs have been purchased by professional techs and repair shops, you do not need to be a professional to use and profit from this amazing Sprinter specific tool.

For more information just drop me an e-mail.

Doktor A

The OBD readers aren't really that useful for a Sprinter, and since I'm not a mechanic I can't justify the thousand(s) for a DRB or DAD.
Bill,
Doktor A addressed the thousands misconception, now lets get to the OBDII one.

In the absence of any knowledge of why your MIL was triggered by the computer an OBDII scan tool can provide some information. Many times the MIL is triggered by an emissions system problem. A Scangauge II or other OBDII scan tool will show emission related issues such as O2 sensor, glow plug codes, etc. That is what the OBDII protocol was designed for. Admittedly it will be less useful on our diesels than a fully compliant gasser, but still far from useless. I think it is well worth getting a free scan from an auto parts store as you plan to do. All it should cost you is time. vic

surlyoldbill

Been a while since I read a DAD thread, I remember them being in the 4-digit range at the time. I'm not intimidated by the technology of the DAD, I'm sure it's pretty simplistic compared to a lot of the equipment I use, as long as the user manual isn't convoluted and randomly assembled. I suppose that the DAD would pay for itself pretty quick if I have a REAL problem that isn't easily solvable with conventional means. I'll have to see one in action first, though.

The scangauge and the bullygauge would be nice additions if I choose to get an obd device. The bullygauge looks great and pretty much takes the place of the dash, with customizable screens displaying the info YOU want. I know these don't read the specific info of the sprinter.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Been a while since I read a DAD thread, I remember them being in the 4-digit range at the time.
The DAD remains the same price it has always been, $299.

A 210 page Sprinter Fault Code book is now an addition to the DAD package at a discounted price of $69.99.

A modest price to pay for a 24/7 Sprinter technician at your fingertips.

Doktor A

Top Bottom