Need Roof top AC help

Magnum44

We took our 2007 Sprinter to a local Dodge dealership to have the EGR replaced and fix a water leak in our roof top ac unit. Our van was sent to a body shop to be fixed and was absolutely butchered. What I need are pics of one that hasn't been touched. Both the interior and exterior have huge gaps and there is white caulking all over the outside cover. Not only was the interior and exterior ac covers put on incorrectly but the entire front roof section is totally dented from where they were climbing on it. If anyone feels inclined to take some int./ext. pics I would appreciate it. We only have 35,000 original miles on it and fear they have also decreased the value of our van. My email is Deanselectric@sbcglobal.net Thank you.

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
We took our 2007 Sprinter to a local Dodge dealership to have the EGR replaced and fix a water leak in our roof top ac unit. Our van was sent to a body shop to be fixed and was absolutely butchered. What I need are pics of one that hasn't been touched. Both the interior and exterior have huge gaps and there is white caulking all over the outside cover. Not only was the interior and exterior ac covers put on incorrectly but the entire front roof section is totally dented from where they were climbing on it. If anyone feels inclined to take some int./ext. pics I would appreciate it. We only have 35,000 original miles on it and fear they have also decreased the value of our van. My email is Deanselectric@sbcglobal.net Thank you.
I don't care if you had 200+k miles on it... denting the roof of any of my vehicles & I'd be SUPER PISSED OFF!!!!

Sorry I can't help you with pix... but reading your post & how a dealer screwed up you van roasted my chestnuts

Magnum44

Thanks Tom. Yes I am pissed! I can't believe the hack job that was done. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. On one hand I think an attorney may be necessary but haven't decided yet. The damage can never be undone even if fixed because of the roof. The ac unit could be replaced but bondo won't bring it back to where it was a week ago. Thanks for your reply.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I was interested in having some paint repaired on my 2007 cargo van.

The closest MB Sprinter dealership to me referred me to an MB certified bodyshop.

I've read body panel replacement information on www.sprintertekinfo.com.

It looks like this:

roof-panel-replacement.jpg

I think your van's roof can be repaired, if you can find someone that'll do it per manufacturer instructions.

-Jon

Last edited:

Magnum44

Here is just the shot of the right side with all of the dents. I'm not even going to show you all the rest but it's as bad or worse.

Attachments

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Here is just the shot of the right side with all of the dents. I'm not even going to show you all the rest but it's as bad or worse.

That's awful! I'd send pictures but my van is about 80 miles from me having some warranty work done (more on that in another post) and my A/C does not look like that. Mine is a Coleman and it has a metal pan that attaches to the roof and the plastic bonnet fits to the metal base. Yours looks like its bonnet is attached directly to the roof. I've not seen that before. (EDIT!!!! Well it has a pan but its completely hidden on this model... the Mach III PS

http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documents/mach_3_ps_copy.pdf My older Coleman had the pan.... so sorry! )

??? where do you live??? I want to make sure I don't go to that dealership or repair place.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
At the very least, I would try to get my money back.

Sorry that this has happened. I'm going through a similar situation where my roof is green. The dealer walked on my roof (I forgot to tell him not to :yell:), but I didn't see an dents so pronounced as yours.

toad

Here are a few pics I just took from my new 2011 Sprinter with roof AC. I don't know if we have the same AC unit, mine came original with the truck, but it might me a special edition for Mexico. It does get kind of hot down here.
If you need additional pictures just let me know.

Attachments

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Suggestion...

M-44,

You might look into having the dents pulled out using a 'paintless dent repair.' There's a number of companies around who remove dents caused by hail stones.

Also, there's a old technique of using dry ice. Carefully and cautiously applied to the center of the dent, the CO2's intense cold will cause the metal to contract and 'pop' the metal back into alignment. Again, it preserves the existing paint.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
What a bunch of morons, they would actually climb on your roof, dent it, and just continue to dent it more while they complete their shoddy installation. I would tell them I want it fixed, and I want a equivalent vehicle to use while yours is down. If that don't work maybe you should take them to court?

Magnum44

Thanks Toad and everyone else. I really appreciate it. Our Ac unit is identical to yours Toad. This was a warranty issue. It was leaking water when it rained. The dealer couldn't find the leak (even though I told them exactly where it was in detail). It leaks through the large vent on the drivers side. I took pics of all of the water dripping on the seats, floor etc. and presented it to them. I guess their tech can't repair the factory AC unit so it was sent to a body shop. I am happy to say that it runs better than it ever has now that the EGR has been replaced. Unfortunately they can't find all of the issues I am having with it even though I was very specific. I was a mechanic so I have a very good idea of what some of the problems are but they are intermitent and hard to pin point. Anyway, it's a major PITA. I will try to keep you all updated on our progress. Unfortunately the Mercedes dealer near us doesn't work on the Sprinters. I may have to take it out of state to have it repaired by mechanics who know what they are doing. It looks like they just used white caulking to seal it. Notice they bent the screen back to access something (probably a bolt) on both sides. Notice the cover doesn't sit flush either.

Attachments

Top Bottom