WTF is a SPRINTER???????????????

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
I'm new to this Sprinter thing... been using w/ great success chevy & ford diesel extended cargo work vans for over 15 yrs & the company just bought me a 2010 2500 hi top 144wb Freightliner Sprinter.
So after reading K9's post about the trouble he's having... WTF is a Sprinter? Is it a Freightliner... which mine is badged as OR is it a Dodge? OR is it a MB OR is this like a American Motors product... which is a bunch of stuff from every auto manufacture tossed into a chassis & call it a 'gremlin' ???? :thinking:

If I have a problem with this 2500, do I bring it to a Dodge, Freightliner or MB dealer :idunno:

And the manual???? Geeezzzz I can see how someone couldn't figure stuff out... I can't even find a page that tells you about changing the oil & the manual says the engine takes 3+ qts of oil????? HUH 3+ qts? My motorcycle holds more oil then that :hmmm:

That heater thing K9 talks about.... whew I understood the 39'F temperature, but then it says you should run it every month for a few minutes... how do you do that in the summer months if it has a temp sensor? Also what is the timer thing... I don't have the steering wheel buttons which seems easier.
Do you 1st set the time, as time of day... then select the time you want this heater to turn on? i.e. 6:30am? Then it says you have 3 preset durration times that the heater will run till it shuts off.... it that sorta how this heater thing works? The way I understand it is it will preheat the interior of the van, defrost windows etc. prior to getting in it. :idunno:

I'm looking forward to this Sprinter life & hope it will last as long as my American diesels +260k miles & still on the road

Here is a Sprinter.

alenka_bikar.jpg

And here's another.

AsafaPowell.jpg

And one worth working on.

mercedes_sprinter_1975446.jpg

Sorry. I have no help for 'dem new fangled recent Sprinters. :tongue:

Just kidding, but unfortunately I have no answers to your questions. vic

sailquik

I'm new to this Sprinter thing... been using w/ great success chevy & ford diesel extended cargo work vans for over 15 yrs & the company just bought me a 2010 2500 hi top 144wb Freightliner Sprinter.
Your Sprinter is badged as a Freightliner, so take it to the Freightliner dealer!
So after reading K9's post about the trouble he's having... WTF is a Sprinter? Is it a Freightliner... which mine is badged as OR is it a Dodge? OR is it a MB OR is this like a American Motors product... which is a bunch of stuff from every auto manufacture tossed into a chassis & call it a 'gremlin' ???? :thinking:
Most of them are built in 2 Mercedes Benz factories in Germany, completely assembled, then taken apart and shipped to the USA with the body going in one ship and the engine/trans/front axle/rear axle being shipped as "modules" in another ship.
There are a few other manufacturing plants for the Mercedes Sprinter around the world, but the basic vehicle is always a Mercedes Benz.
When they get to the USA they are reassembled (same modules are installed in the same body by VIN and serial numbers).
At this point some become Freightliners (just a change of the grille and logos) some stay as Mercedes Benz.
There are no more Dodge badged Mercedes Sprinters being imported into the USA. That stopped after 2009.

If I have a problem with this 2500, do I bring it to a Dodge, Freightliner or MB dealer?

Freightliner for your vehicle.

And the manual???? Geeezzzz I can see how someone couldn't figure stuff out... I can't even find a page that tells you about changing the oil & the manual says the engine takes 3+ qts of oil????? HUH 3+ qts? My motorcycle holds more oil then that!hmmm:
That seems to be a typographical error in the manual. I takes slightly more than 3 Gallons (13 quarts) of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Low Ash (ESP I think) motor oil that meets the MB 229.51 oil specification REQUIRED for you 2010 3.0 V6. I think yours may be Bluetec and need some catalyst every once in a while.

I'm looking forward to this Sprinter life & hope it will last as long as my American diesels +260k miles & still on the road.

If you learn to drive and maintain it like the "precision machine" that it is, it should last longer, cost about 1/2 a much in fuel.
And.... it's alot more pleasant to drive.
Roger

mackconsult

If you learn to drive and maintain it like the "precision machine" that it is, it should last longer, cost about 1/2 a much in fuel.
And.... it's alot more pleasant to drive.
Roger
And sleep in it .... party in it ....... camp in it ..... do things to it :rad:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

If I have a problem with this 2500, do I bring it to a Dodge, Freightliner or MB dealer :idunno:

And the manual???? Geeezzzz I can see how someone couldn't figure stuff out... I can't even find a page that tells you about changing the oil & the manual says the engine takes 3+ qts of oil????? HUH 3+ qts? My motorcycle holds more oil then that :hmmm:

That heater thing K9 talks about.... whew I understood the 39'F temperature, but then it says you should run it every month for a few minutes... how do you do that in the summer months if it has a temp sensor? Also what is the timer thing... I don't have the steering wheel buttons which seems easier.
Do you 1st set the time, as time of day... then select the time you want this heater to turn on? i.e. 6:30am? Then it says you have 3 preset durration times that the heater will run till it shuts off.... it that sorta how this heater thing works? The way I understand it is it will preheat the interior of the van, defrost windows etc. prior to getting in it. :idunno:

I'm looking forward to this Sprinter life & hope it will last as long as my American diesels +260k miles & still on the road
look back on K9's thread as to types and options for heating.
Richard

nebep

X2 that was my first pic as well. Sprintermom, take it to Authorized Sprinter dealer, either MB or Freightliner.
Hello??? sounds like plenty of dealerships are opening to service Model 155 whether the techs are qualified or not :)

danski0224

Hello??? sounds like plenty of dealerships are opening to service Model 155 whether the techs are qualified or not :)
I am willing to take whatever classes are necessary to properly service that fine piece of equipment, and keep the motor humming along for many miles.

Practice makes perfect.

:bounce:

Run away...! Run away...!

Top Bottom