tire rotation

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I'm trying to build up courage to rotate my tires. Who knows the best place on the frame to put in wooden blocks to hold it up after I jack it?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm trying to build up courage to rotate my tires. Who knows the best place on the frame to put in wooden blocks to hold it up after I jack it?
I jack up the rear first and use wooden blocks underneath the rear axle on both sides and not underneath the pumpkin.

Actually, I use the oem jack and my floor jack to do the duties, but still use the rear axle. The problem I have is the oem jack. It has those nice placement points on all four corners of the van, but it's a pain to bring it back to the position.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I remember being screamed at by a grown up when I was a kid for placing the jack-stand in the wrong place.

Attached is a pdf of the manual pages for North American 2006 (T1N) regarding lifting the vehicle.

This seems credible if no one else chimes in....

Pictures of jackstands on duty

Be safe, lift as little as possible and nudge the vehicle the while the supports are barely doing anything... with the tires on, barely suspended... just to make certain nothing's moving before dropping it to break the fasteners loose.

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

stp57

Why do it yourself? It's free at Discount Tires, even if you didn't purchase their tires. I purchased road hazard coverage from them for all 4 of my factory tires for about $100, which is almost half the price of a new tire. Texas highways are brutal on tires.
Steve

mbcruiser

05 Sprinter/06 MB Cruiser
Ditto the Discount Tire reply.
I purchased their "lifetime" balance & rotation for about $69 the first time I needed to rotate (around 7k miles). This was for the lifetime of OEM tires.
Now I get them done every 6,000 with no fuss. 20 minutes in and out.
This option is honored nationally, so came in handy when I was thousands of miles away from home last year.
(so far, I've had 4 done).

(btw: they quoted a single balance/rotation at $49, so the math was simple).

talkinghorse43

I do my own because I want to check brake condition at the same time and because I don't trust anyone else to torque the studs correctly. As I remember, one of the Sprinter info sources (owner's manual or service manual) specifically states jacking or supporting on the rear axle is a no-no. It recommends supporting from the forward spring mount.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
As I remember, one of the Sprinter info sources (owner's manual or service manual) specifically states jacking or supporting on the rear axle is a no-no.
Rear axle is okay (on the axle tube near the spring mounts), just not under the Differential Housing (or pumpkin).

jack.jpg

It doesn't specifically say to do or not to do it under the axle tube, but my floor jack doesn't go as high as the specific jacking points on the body. All the weight of the vehicle is on the axle tube anyways.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I remember being screamed at by a grown up when I was a kid for placing the jack-stand in the wrong place.

Attached is a pdf of the manual pages for North American 2006 (T1N) regarding lifting the vehicle.

This seems credible if no one else chimes in....

Pictures of jackstands on duty

Be safe, lift as little as possible and nudge the vehicle the while the supports are barely doing anything... with the tires on, barely suspended... just to make certain nothing's moving before dropping it to break the fasteners loose.

-Jon
Thanks Jon. The jacking of the vehicle wasn't the mystery but thanks for the reminder. I appreciate the cautions and the techguys info on jack stands. I'm using blocks of wood because I don't have jack stands.

I especially appreciate the safety warnings. We can never have too much of that. :bow:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I jack up the rear first and use wooden blocks underneath the rear axle on both sides and not underneath the pumpkin.

Actually, I use the oem jack and my floor jack to do the duties, but still use the rear axle. The problem I have is the oem jack. It has those nice placement points on all four corners of the van, but it's a pain to bring it back to the position.
What about the front? :popcorn:

talkinghorse43

Rear axle is okay (on the axle tube near the spring mounts), just not under the Differential Housing (or pumpkin).
Here's from the '03 service manual

"CAUTION: Do not lift vehicle with a floor jack positioned
under:
² An axle tube.
² A body side sill.
² A steering linkage component.
² A drive shaft.
² The engine or transmission oil pan.
² The fuel tank.
² A front suspension arm."

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I use the oem jack in its oem position.
Right. But where do you put the supports so you can remove the jack? Like if you want all 4 wheels off the ground, where do you put the supports. No floor jack here. Just the oem jack and the manual.

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
That's interesting because all the weight is on the axle tube. :idunno:
The axle Assembly is designed to be loaded at the wheels

Point loading the Axel can bend, dent, fold or mutilate your Axel.(1)

Tom

(1)this has nothing to do with the questions pertaining to the origins of the NA NCV3 axles and/or any other conspiracies currently being investigated by Richard.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Right. But where do you put the supports so you can remove the jack? Like if you want all 4 wheels off the ground, where do you put the supports. No floor jack here. Just the oem jack and the manual.
According to the service manual, underlined in red...
jack.jpg

The axle Assembly is designed to be loaded at the wheels
The weight is still on the springs, which are on the axle tubes, which are on the bearings, and then they are on the wheels.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm just saying that the manuals have to be clearer. I will agree with the manual that I wouldn't put the floor jack underneath the axle tube near the differential, but near the spring packs? :idunno:

stp57

I wouldn't put the OEM jack under the differential housing, but the floor jacks that the tire places use has a much larger pad to make contact with. I can't see any damage under my van where the tire guys used their jacks?
Steve

Top Bottom