PDA

View Full Version : What is the badging on your Sprinter?

Pages : [1] 2

Zach Woods
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Howdy Folks -

What is the badging on your Sprinter? In other words, did you change the badging or leave it as was? Did you change the badging and if so, what did you change from and to?

This poll is intended to keep a running tally of what badging is most popular!

Zach

Zach Woods
09-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Howdy -

Badging can get complex - at least in the case of some RV's:

My Airstream Sprinter Westfalia was sold with Dodge badging on the outside of the vehicle (and the usual Mercedes logos on lots of parts) but I changed it over to Mercedes as I see that as it's birthright! It is titled as a Freightliner, though (I am guessing that Westfalia started planning to sell in the US when only Freightliners were available and not Dodge's but then changed over to Dodge badging when that became an option).

To make things more complex (and much to the amusement of my wife), the vehicle has at least the following brand names on it (and this is before I re-badged it as a Mercedes!):

Airstream
Westfalia (now owned by Mercedes)
Dodge
Mercedes
Freightliner
Thor (owner of Airstream)

I am certain this list would get mighty unwieldy if I included all of the "aftermarket" parts that both Westfalia and Airstream installed when they converted the vehicle into a Mercedes James Cook (the European name for the Airstream Sprinter Westalia - although there are differences between the Euro and North American campers).

Zach

Zach Woods
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
It's been very interesting to follow the results of this poll.

The result that catches me the most off guard to date is the lack of Freightliners that are turning up. Where are you all?

Let us know how your Sprinter is badged!

Zach

Atlee
10-14-2006, 01:58 AM
It's been very interesting to follow the results of this poll.

The result that catches me the most off guard to date is the lack of Freightliners that are turning up. Where are you all?

Let us know how your Sprinter is badged!

Zach

Actually that sort of surprised me too. However, I just found this site tonight. My LTV Free Spirit 210A is built on a 2003 Freightliner badged Sprinter. I like the FL badge and would not change it to MB. My van is not a "Big Boy" truck, but it certainly has the same name. :D

bobinyelm
10-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Being too cheap to properly rebadge my "Dodge" Sprinter, I removed the Dodge hood badge as well as the logo on the left rear door in protest to DC's practice of selling MBs as other brands.

Bob

topless
10-18-2006, 05:54 PM
My Gulfstream was badged as a Freightliner, however both black inserts with the "Freightliner" script have decided to bail. I lost the front one and purchased a replacement and caught the rear one just before it fell off. I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it sticks real well to the plastic chrome and not worth a darn to the back of the logo.

hkpierce
10-18-2006, 09:33 PM
My Gulfstream was badged as a Freightliner, however both black inserts with the "Freightliner" script have decided to bail. I lost the front one and purchased a replacement and caught the rear one just before it fell off. I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it sticks real well to the plastic chrome and not worth a darn to the back of the logo.

Go to the 2001-2006 Body Technical information. There is a DIY article there.

michigandon
10-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Sorry guys, but I can think of a lot of things I'd rather blow Three Bills on than that grille conversion kit. I guess I'm wierd, I actually think it wears the Dodge name quite well. The placement of the star in the grille of the Euro models never looked "right" to me for some reason. :(

I do have a three-pointed star from the trunk of a 240D that I parted out earlier this year. I think I'm going to cut out a piece of sheet metal the size of a license plate, paint it white, bolt the star to it, and mount it in the front license plate holder. :cool:

Don Horner
10-31-2006, 12:25 AM
My Leisure Travel was built as a 2004 Freightliner, titled as a 2005 Leisure Travel, came up as a "Dodge Sprinter" when I gave the VIN to my insurance company so is insured as a Dodge, and wears the MB grill, etc. proudly.

I, too, was a teensy bit reluctant to spend the bucks at first, but like topless, my Freightliner oval bailed out from my front grill. I decided it was sending me a message and ordered the MB kit (it didn't take much persuasion; I'm good at rationalizing things). My DW likes it; she always wanted a Mercedes. She questioned whether it was really legitimate, so I showed her the tiny 3-pointed stars on all the door glass and windshield.

Altered Sprinter
11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
HI GUYS NEW TO THE BLOCK, " SO TO SPEAK''.
MY MERCEDES-BENZ sPRINTER TWO OF ARE THE GENUINE sTAR OF THE sTARS:D
DRIVE A MERCEDES AND TRUST ME YOU KNOW IT AND SO DO THOSE WHO LOOK OUT OF THE CORNER OF THOSE LITTLE EYEBALLS, ALL GREEN WITH ENVEY:lol:DOUBLE CLICK FOR FULL VIEW:thumbup:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3645/alteredstateam4.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alteredstateam4.jpg)
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5933/alteredvan1uk7.th.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alteredvan1uk7.jpg)

wheelhealer
11-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi guys,

It was mercedes when I picked it up from the dealer, 7 hours ago, and its still the same..............I must have opened the door to look at it 20 times in between.:eek:
MWB High roof in Brilliant Silver, lowest output engine, basic with some extras and its great to drive:thumbup: - only done 10 miles so far out of the 50 recorded.:D

good forum, back soon

frostback
11-17-2006, 02:10 AM
I just bought the Merc grille and shaved everything else. An unexpected advantage is that reaching the hood release is slightly easier through the cutout. Besides my eurocar sensibilities wouldn't tolerate a Dodge in the driveway. ;)

Zach Woods
11-18-2006, 01:24 PM
The early "Once a Dodge, always a Dodge" lead is slipping away . . .

Looks like "Was a Dodge, now a Mercedes" is nearly neck and neck!

zigzagguzzi
11-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Mine has an MB grille and badge in front, still says Dodge in back with the MB decal. Just to mess with people's heads! So how do I vote? jim

sikwan
11-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Mine has an MB grille and badge in front, still says Dodge in back with the MB decal. Just to mess with people's heads! So how do I vote? jim

Vote with you heart not with your mind...or should that be the other way around? :thinking::laughing:

methodvan
12-03-2006, 06:16 AM
i'm no material boy, but it seems like dodge badging on the sprinter looks counterfeit and cheap. the vehicle clearly looks like an import and not a remodeled ram van that america is use to seing clogging up the highway. the sprinter is the most un-dodge looking dodge since the ram-50 mitsu and colts of the 80's. convincing someone it's dodge is much more difficult than the opposite; convincing 'em it's mercedes.

it just looks much more organic as a mercedes than as a dodge, period. and, oddly enough for those dodge purist, the recipe for a complete conversion to mercedes specs is by esssentially changing the grill and hub caps. ouch, guess dodge didn't build too much of this baby.

this van is real odd duck here in the state and it's sales so far in the private sector have really been effected by that..

Scott_Mc
12-16-2006, 08:30 PM
The old Dodge vans were so over due for a face lift that it was not even funny. The body remained mostly unchanged from 1979 through its final(ly!) production year of 04(?). I owned a few of them and they got the job done. Ford and Chevy do the same thing. Catering to tradesmen is not high on their list. Most changes are federal mandates pertaining to saftey or emmisions.

Sprinter an "odd duck"? Well is certainly looks different than anything to hit these shores but I feel that people are quite accustomed to the look now (I don't get nearly the number of crazy looks anymore:D )

As far as the grille? Well mine's a Freightliner who, like Dodge is owned by Mercedes. While I do like the Mercedes grille, I like the look of the stock grill/badging just fine and sort of think owning a "Freightliner" is cool! Not until the factory equipment is damaged or badly weathered would I spend the money. I'm not all about the "bling" and have nothing to prove to anyone!:thumbup: :smilewink:

Altered Sprinter
12-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Good call Scott
Each to our own:thumbup:
Richard
mercedes_sprinter_1024_1.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=435&stc=1&d=1166436580)sp2.jpgd54aac7a-7617-4950-9c20-ae49f4222885Large.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=434&stc=1&d=1166436521)

michigandon
12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Not until the factory equipment is damaged or badly weathered would I spend the money. I'm not all about the "bling" and have nothing to prove to anyone!:thumbup: :smilewink:

Yah, maybe when I hit a deer (and yes, in this part of the country that IS a "when", not an "if") I'll see if I can faniggle an MB grille conversion into my comprehensive claim. :D

Altered Sprinter
12-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Have not run into a deer as of yet, as they are up in the highlands:thinking:
But we have roo in plauge proportions .
Which is why we run Roo bars:yell:

Johnny
01-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi,
my sprinter is a Mercedes i still have a star on the grill and on the sterring wheel the rest of the badging i took off.
Johnny

Scott_Mc
01-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi Johnny, I don't imagine that any of the Euro-Spec Sprinter owners are changing their badging so that they can look like a Dodge:smirk: .

sikwan
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi Johnny, I don't imagine that any of the Euro-Spec Sprinter owners are changing their badging so that they can look like a Dodge:smirk: .

That wouldn't surprise me Scott.

http://www.2yoo.de/dr/sprinter/galerie/bilder/galerie-106-0.jpg

Seek

Johnny
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
i have seen at least 20 different Sprinters with Dodge or Frightliner badges:thumbup:
i bought my self a Frightliner Grill and wanted to customize it but then i change the plan and customized the Mercedes grill, i think it looks good and different.
Johnny

Scott_Mc
01-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Nice pic sikwan. I've never seen`em side by side like that. Is the new style actually that much taller inside or has the step-in height gone up? A bit of both perhaps?

i have seen at least 20 different Sprinters with Dodge or Frightliner badges:thumbup:

I'm amazed, especially at the Dodge grill conversion. Freightliner I can see (of course this is only a slightly biased opinion :smilewink: )

sikwan
01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Nice pic sikwan. I've never seen`em side by side like that.

Me neither. Looks like the new one is not only taller, but the headrests and the windshield are definitely at a higher level.

chaozz
01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
maybe dodge got the high of 26 by towing it part of the way:bounce:

mgameros
01-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Has anybody changed the badge on the airbag? I wanted to get the real star but don't know where to get one. If anybody deos please let me know where and part #. Pictures would be nice too.

Moses

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Has anybody changed the badge on the airbag? I wanted to get the real star but don't know where to get one. If anybody deos please let me know where and part #. Pictures would be nice too.

Moses
Seek and ye shall find
There are three links to this can't find the one with the most photo's but these two links show one picture and the part numbers , including seek and find at the junk yard.
Richard
Steering Wheel Emblem - Sprinter-Forum.com (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29&highlight=steering+wheel+emblem)
Part # & Info re: Mercedes Benz Badge for Sprinter Steering Wheel - Sprinter-Forum.com (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386&highlight=steering+wheel+emblem)
lg_4471_3.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=792&stc=1&d=1169541684)

sikwan
01-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey Richard:

What's that knob below the right side vent?

Can't be a knob for this can it?

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_id=14165

:smirk:

Seek

mgameros
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Thats the badge I want. Where can I get it? Nice armrest where you get that?

Scott_Mc
01-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Your van does not have an armrest:wtf: ? Yours is the only one.

Altered Sprinter
01-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Hey Richard:

What's that knob below the right side vent?

Can't be a knob for this can it?

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_id=14165

:smirk:

Seek
Hi Seek
No it's not what you think it was, the unit on the side din section RHD is a PSB air brake contoller part of two sections that controls the air brakes on the 616 CDI twin cab haulers
Richard
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif020-MB-Sprinter-CDI-3FU-250606.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=808&stc=1&d=1169620127)

mgameros
01-24-2007, 06:46 AM
No, I do have them but if you look at altered sprinter's post with picture, he's look like there are overlays. Look bigger than the stock ones.

Altered Sprinter
01-24-2007, 07:15 AM
No, I do have them but if you look at altered sprinter's post with picture, he's look like there are overlays. Look bigger than the stock ones.
No this is a single star, one piece with a very heavy adhesive patch on the rear sticks real good,.
The original Mercedes wheel which you also have has a dodge badge on it in it's place delete this and the star sits flush in it's recess, stick the star on top of the Dodge plate and you'll end up with a Star permanently encased on you head in the event of an accident.
Measure the star go to a Mercedes distributor ship and check out the stars for the correct one, E class C class are two that fit directly into the slot
Richard

Scott_Mc
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Yet another style of side view mirror in that latest pic Richard? I may be seeing things :thinking: :smirk: ?!

Altered Sprinter
01-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Yet another style of side view mirror in that latest pic Richard? I may be seeing things :thinking: :smirk: ?!
Not sure Scott the bars look a little different, these things have me bluffed Honest.
Richard

MerlinB
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Zach, or Seek,

I originally voted in the "Bought as a Dodge, Still a Dodge" category but I have now converted my Dodge back to a Mercedes, so, I need to change my vote. :bounce:

Thanks,

sikwan
03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey Zach, or Seek,

I originally voted in the "Bought as a Dodge, Still a Dodge" category but I have now converted my Dodge back to a Mercedes, so, I need to change my vote. :bounce:

Thanks,

Changed. :thumbup:

Seek

xtraworx
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Zach,

Another change here from Dodge/Dodge to Dodge/MB!

Thanx,

sikwan
04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Zach,

Another change here from Dodge/Dodge to Dodge/MB!

Thanx,

Changed.

AVL_Sprinter
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Still a Dodge, and it is not sure if it wants to be a Benz. :lol:

BaywoodBill
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Still a Dodge, and it is not sure if it wants to be a Benz. :lol:

Right! Pay money to flash the public :bow: or keep your money and feel smug at what you have that isn't advertised.
:tongue:

tegimr
05-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Mine is a "Sprinter" "Sprinter" The only way you'd think it was a Dodge is the Rams head on the wheels and logo on the front; this has caused problems when insuring (two states) and when licensing (two states) as it's not a DODGE on the title. Also, though the VIN number matches everything and I have the original paperwork, someone entered it as a high-top when it was originally licensed, though it is obviously not. So, is there a new option to 'vote' with?

Tim

Altered Sprinter
05-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Mine is a "Sprinter" "Sprinter" The only way you'd think it was a Dodge is the Rams head on the wheels and logo on the front; this has caused problems when insuring (two states) and when licensing (two states) as it's not a DODGE on the title. Also, though the VIN number matches everything and I have the original paperwork, someone entered it as a high-top when it was originally licensed, though it is obviously not. So, is there a new option to 'vote' with?

Tim
Obviously it's in an ALTERED STATE:thumbup:
Join the club , drive a Merc and flaunt it
Richard

BaywoodBill
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Tim

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-024.gif That's different! How did it happen to be that?

tegimr
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-024.gif That's different! How did it happen to be that?

dunno:thinking: did not buy it new, bought it used.

Tim

tab380
08-01-2007, 01:14 AM
My 03 was a Dodge and traded it in as a Dodge.
My 07 is a Dodge and will keep it that way as to not scare my customers into thinking I charge to much to fix there plumbing:2cents:

ctmcdaniel
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
My 03 was a Dodge and traded it in as a Dodge.
My 07 is a Dodge and will keep it that way as to not scare my customers into thinking I charge to much to fix there plumbing:2cents:

So your customers don't know about the giant garage full to toys?

Tom

AzteK
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Nice pic sikwan. I've never seen`em side by side like that. Is the new style actually that much taller inside or has the step-in height gone up? A bit of both perhaps?

I'm amazed, especially at the Dodge grill conversion. Freightliner I can see (of course this is only a slightly biased opinion :smilewink: )

Scott, the new ones have a higher ride hieght, and the tallest (when my dad got his) was 7" taller inside then the old T1N's. Now it looks like they up'ed the anty, and made them with a larger roof yet again, maybe another 7"? At least, its what it looks like to me. The ones at the dealership at the very top look different from my dads, so im just comparing with his.

tab380
08-06-2007, 06:52 PM
So your customers don't know about the giant garage full to toys?

Tom

I don't want to make it obvious.:bounce:

Splinter
08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't see a catagory for Dodge Sprinters with Hemis. Please add it so I can be part of your survey.:bash:

sikwan
08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't see a catagory for Dodge Sprinters with Hemis.

Let's see it underneath the hood. I don't think there's even room in there. :smirk:

orbaddict
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Aside from its engineering, the Dodge name was a selling point for me. My family has a history with Dodge- we used to own a dealership until 1980. All of my aunts & uncles worked there along with my grandparents. I was 4 when they closed:cry: (always wondered how life would be if it was still n business today). I've owned 5 Dodges in my life starting with a 1980 Omni, 1986 Ram van, 1996 Neon, 1996 Grand Caravan, 2006 Sprinter 2500. All in ascending order of reliability. Needless to say I never joined an Omni forum...
Maybe it is 99.9% German, but so was part of my heritage. It's been years since I felt passionate about a motor vehicle; thanks DaimlerAG:thumbup:
Gavin

mattl
08-29-2007, 10:49 PM
The old Dodge vans were so over due for a face lift that it was not even funny. The body remained mostly unchanged from 1979 through its final(ly!) production year of 04(?). I owned a few of them and they got the job done. Ford and Chevy do the same thing. Catering to tradesmen is not high on their list. Most changes are federal mandates pertaining to saftey or emmisions.

Sprinter an "odd duck"? Well is certainly looks different than anything to hit these shores but I feel that people are quite accustomed to the look now (I don't get nearly the number of crazy looks anymore:D )

As far as the grille? Well mine's a Freightliner who, like Dodge is owned by Mercedes. While I do like the Mercedes grille, I like the look of the stock grill/badging just fine and sort of think owning a "Freightliner" is cool! Not until the factory equipment is damaged or badly weathered would I spend the money. I'm not all about the "bling" and have nothing to prove to anyone!:thumbup: :smilewink:

Actually 1971. The grille was different, with round lights, but just put your hand on your left eye and look at the A-pillar rearward, they are all the same ;).

mbruckner
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Bought as a freighliner 5 years ago this weekend and still is today.

orbaddict
09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Where's the tab for bought as a VW, now a...?
I'm currently visiting england and have seen both body types with VW badging. Kinda strange I think, for I was not aware of any market connection between VW and Dahmler-Benz.
Anyone?:idunno:
Gavin

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Where's the tab for bought as a VW, now a...?
I'm currently visiting england and have seen both body types with VW badging. Kinda strange I think, for I was not aware of any market connection between VW and Dahmler-Benz.
Anyone?:idunno:
Gavin Daimler AG and the VW group have been sharing technology with each other for over twenty years that I would be aware of. Crafty Crafters ? if one turns up as a conversion in the states I guess we would have to make amends to the poll.
To qualify it would cost a small fortune though we have one member who already has badge rear lights and emblems but did not realize the whole front clip is different.
Richard

xtraworx
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
So, I was thinking (I know -- always dangerous:crazy:)--

I might just go out and get a grill from all versions, then change them weekly! One week a Dodge, one week a Freightliner, next a VW, etc. :rad:

Or how 'bout the old mix-and-match strategy -- Benz grill, Dodge hub caps, Freightliner rear, VW steering wheel emblem...:cheers:

Ok, I'll go back to my room now....:snore:

sikwan
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
So, I was thinking (I know -- always dangerous:crazy:)--

I might just go out and get a grill from all versions, then change them weekly! One week a Dodge, one week a Freightliner, next a VW, etc. :rad:

Or how 'bout the old mix-and-match strategy -- Benz grill, Dodge hub caps, Freightliner rear, VW steering wheel emblem...:cheers:

Ok, I'll go back to my room now....:snore:

No, no, and no. Wood slats for the grille! :rad: :bounce:

jdcaples
09-06-2007, 09:27 PM
No, no, and no. Wood slats for the grille! :rad: :bounce:

Wood slats? How about painting the fascia brown and adding an "AMC Pacer" badge?

Altered Sprinter
09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Now there is a thought to ponder uopn!
A Woody Sprinter:smilewink: Not the platonic Mo Jo but Rusells Morrris, the :Real thing :}:rad:
Richard

Zach Woods
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Howdy Folks -

It looks like the "bought as a Dodge, still a Dodge" votes are creeping ahead . . .

Come on, Mercedes badgers out there! If you haven't already voted, get your vote in now!

Zach

xtraworx
10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
So there is a down side to re-badging...

1. Some clown backed into me in the Wal*Mart parking lot and did minor damage to my front bumper. :rant: I drove to his insurance adjuster who said he couldn't give me a quote on repairs as his data base didn't cover Mercedes trucks! He insisted even after I told him I had "Pimped my ride," and it was really a Dodge. :crazy: (I did have it fixed at mom and pop auto body who knew exactly what it was.)

2. Went to a lube joint for oil change. Having had problem number 1 above, I told the manager as soon as I stepped out of the truck that it was a Dodge which I had personally re-badged to Mercedes. Despite this forewarning, he looked up the vehicle under Mercedes to find the oil filter -- and could not find one. I had to physically redirect him to Dodge pages.:idunno:

Oh the things I suffer for vanity! :cry:

HMR TYM
10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
alright heres a lazy question... do you have to cut a crecent shape into the hood to have the MB front grill??

sikwan
10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
alright heres a lazy question... do you have to cut a crecent shape into the hood to have the MB front grill??

No.

abittenbinder
10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
So there is a down side to re-badging...

Oh the things I suffer for vanity! :cry:

Don't paint all Sprinter MBenz re-badgers with that brush. Paying homage to the greatest commercial vehicle marque on the planet is not vanity. Doktor A

HMR TYM
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
No.

and a lazy answer is what i deserve. thanks for eleviating that concern.. theres one on ebay right now that looks good, its 89.00 Item number: 280165159345. that seems reasonable and they say its OEM. besides that will i need anything else?

SprinterUSA1
10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
and a lazy answer is what i deserve. thanks for eleviating that concern.. theres one on ebay right now that looks good, its 89.00 Item number: 280165159345. that seems reasonable and they say its OEM. besides that will i need anything else?

HMR TYM,

the grille you are asking about will work on yours. It is an easy swap. Same mounting locations and screws. Hood cut out is already there. That is why there is a hood strip.
But this is the grille you should put on your van as this is the one from the last facelift in 2003.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROME-MERCEDES-Grille-Conversion-Kit-DODGE-SPRINTER_W0QQitemZ260175976986QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3 3645QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am sure it is a budged thing. They will both work.

SprinterUSA1

Propwash
11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Freightliner cradle to grave

worksofman
11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm looking forward to removing all badging, and all the chrome, actually. Might have to buy the Mercedes grill, so I can remove the Dodge chrome strip... then modify the Mercedes grill.... sounds fun, though.

I'm fairly anti-logo, and anti-bling.... pretty funny for someone who makes a living selling jewelry, eh?:crazy:

OrioN
11-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Dude...

Can you design an "iSprinter" badge for the front and rear?
I'll take one!!:rad:

Hal

worksofman
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Dude...

Can you design an "iSprinter" badge for the front and rear?
I'll take one!!:rad:

Hal

Give me a bit, but i should be able to come up with something... I think I saw you post that somewhere, and like the idea. I may a bit anti-logo, but I have also thought about putting my own around, kind of a goofy cog...

seems like an iSprinter would be less likely to crash... :D

OrioN
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
:lol:

Altered Sprinter
11-04-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm looking forward to removing all badging, and all the chrome, actually. Might have to buy the Mercedes grill, so I can remove the Dodge chrome strip... then modify the Mercedes grill.... sounds fun, though.

I'm fairly anti-logo, and anti-bling.... pretty funny for someone who makes a living selling jewelry, eh?:crazy:
Ah'rr Then you know! the value of base metals, and or stones
Logo Diamond is the Star of Stars
Bling!.... Everyone's gonn'a Pay AND PAY
Mercedes -Benz colours
Black, Silver Grey Blue Red
Flaunt it... Front Mercedes Star
Rear Cargo doors.. Black on Chrome
Say's it all.
OH' Lord.. Wont you buy me a Mercedes-Benz.
My Friends all drive Freightliners,I must make amends.
It is. "what it is".
Mercedes-Benz
:bow:
Richard

OrioN
11-04-2007, 04:17 PM
:hmmm:
Just a thought...Pewter....ENERGY...

Altered Sprinter
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
:hmmm:
Just a thought...Pewter....ENERGY...
Suttle:hmmm: I like it.:thumbup:
Richard

worksofman
11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Actually, I work a lot in titanium... thought that wasn't such a bad way to go, either, for a van that should run a loooong time...

OrioN
11-06-2007, 05:12 AM
:drool:

somoflange
12-30-2007, 02:20 AM
I bought mine as a Dodge, but I'm re-badging it to MB. It's a true Benz right down to the WDB serial number- allthough I hear that the 2008 and up models will have a Dodge VIN.

david_42
01-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Around here Dodge is "safer". Of course, Chevy would be even better.

Jersey Blues Man
02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Did someone say Dodge Mercedes..........

We don't need no stinkin badges here........... LOL
They are what they are.........
They are Mercedes, no mater what badge you chose to show.......

The 87 has close to 300,000 miles and goin strong, the 06 11,000 just a baby.........
My old 81 had over 425,000 miles on it.... another 5 cyl gem from the father land......

unimog
02-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Here is the picture of my new badging that was installed today. No more a freightliner

unimog
02-23-2008, 09:29 PM

This is also a German truck called Goldhofer that we this week used to offload from a barge a 350 ton load. It is diesel powered and drives all wheels via hydraulic drives also all wheels can be turned as well as the platform can be lowered and raised. Cost 3 million

SprinterWisc
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm a clergy member, and findthat the Dodge branding reveals more humility than the big Mercedes star. :) This is the best vehicle possible for what I do. My van is great for taking lots of people on outings, and moving large amounts of stuff. We clearned out a bunch of old computer equipment last summer from our parish school, and I had the van full of old stuff. The guy at the recycling place I took it to just about dropped his chin when he saw all the stuff I had in there.

I guess I don't consider driving a Mercedes a big deal, but people look at you differently when they see the three-pointed star with you behind the wheel. You can get a nice C-class at about the same cost as a new Denali or the new Hyundai that they have out ... not bad.

To be honest though, I am not really a fan at all of the new Mercedes. That pic above that Jersey has of his beloved '87 300SDL - now we're talkin'! The older Mercedes were some beautiful cars, and they have a very solid track record of providing long-term, dependable service. US car makers need to go back to the more traditional-style looking sedans - new cars are ugly, plain and simple. Perhaps one day ... In the meantime, I'll enjoy driving my big bus around!

twistyroad
03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I bought mine as a Dodge, but I'm re-badging it to MB. It's a true Benz right down to the WDB serial number- allthough I hear that the 2008 and up models will have a Dodge VIN.

Not just the Dodges ... my '08 Freightliner's VIN begins with WCD... "C" for Chrysler...

kmessinger
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Not just the Dodges ... my '08 Freightliner's VIN begins with WCD... "C" for Chrysler...

My '08 Dodge begins with WD0, a Dodge number.

Regards,
Keith

BaywoodBill
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
My '08 Dodge begins with WD0, a Dodge number.

Regards,
Keith

But the "W" means it was built in Germany.

eendmans
03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
See picture...:thumbup:

Bought as a Benz, still a Benz!

cosgoo
03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Bought as a Benz, still a Benz!

amirbtalai
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I purchased mine as a Dodge. I immediately removed all possible dodge and ram emblems. In my opinion the vehicles that dodge and chrysler
build are an insult to automotive ingenuity.

The only dodge emblem that remains is the one on the steering wheel. I haven't yet looked into how this could be fixed.

jdcaples
05-15-2008, 03:56 AM
2007 Freightliner: WDY..............

BBlessing
05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
for the 07 and up crowd, if you want to change the steering wheel badge you have to replace the airbag. at a cost of about $1000.00! the hood badge mod looks ok, but not original. i just ordered the grill and related parts and the rear door badge along with some of the mercedes accessories. i can't wait for them to get here.

bb

N2XBW
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I think the Freightliner logo is "ballsier" for a truck, and so it will stay.

sprinterusa
06-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Freightliner now Mercedes
Stering multi-function airbags cover is coming to.
Rudi
=== www.sprintergrille.com
=== www.mercedesshuttle.com
===========================

pugwash
07-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Sorry guys but dont see the point here or am I missing something.
why are you changing the badges from dodge to mercedes your just kidding yourselves, you drive the best truck in the world it doesnt matter what its labelled as Personally I would spend my money on other things.

N8sk8lee
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Its more than a question of vanity, though for me I admit that is part of it. Most Americans have a very poor prejudgement of Dodge/Chrysler, especially in engineering and build quality. 25 years of building THE worst American auto's is hard to forget for anyone who has seen DCM products from the 70's and 80's. I paid for what is really an MB Sprinter, so its only fitting it should be one through and through, and if that means badging too, then yes.

xtraworx
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
25 years of building THE worst American auto's is hard to forget for anyone who has seen DCM products from the 70's and 80's.

Agree, I owned a Dodge Aspen Station Wagon in the 70's. I had to carry a large screwdriver with me to use to un-jam the manual shift linkage. This problem occurred more than I'd like to remember. I had to crawl under the car, leverage the linkage with the screwdriver and pop it back into operating position. Kind of dangerous on the freeway...:censored:

And what about those K-cars. May have been a pioneer in front wheel drive but you needed Yankee Stadium to turn around!

And talk about a badging problem. The Aspen I owned had Dodge hubcaps and a Dodge logo, but the chrome and detailing were from a Plymouth Volaré! I knew these two cars were made on the same manufacturing line, but quality was so poor, they couldn't keep the parts separated. I know there's a Plymouth Volaré out there some where with Aspen trim.

I was real excited when Daimler and Chrysler merged -- thought that Daimler quality would trickle down to Chrysler --- sadly, no. :cry:

AircooledJohn
07-16-2008, 02:42 AM
you are just saying that because your's already has Tri-star badging..... :laughing:

John

Sorry guys but dont see the point here or am I missing something.
why are you changing the badges from dodge to mercedes your just kidding yourselves, you drive the best truck in the world it doesnt matter what its labelled as Personally I would spend my money on other things.

rlent
09-03-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm with the pug on this one ...... if I'm going to spend coin on the truck, I'd much rather be spending it on something functional rather than eyecandy ..... but then it is a work truck and that's just me ...... :idunno:

jdcaples
09-03-2008, 05:04 AM
++no-rebadging

cedarsanctum
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Even though Freightliner was purchased by Benz, it was founded in Portland Oregon, my hometown.
For me it's a no-brainer.
I'd much rather be driving a Freightliner than a Mercedes truck.

Jef

jdcaples
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
What Jef said.

Consolidated Freightways Corporation's Freightliner Transports.

The vehicles are very different, but the name is durable.

cedarsanctum
09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
It's kinda sad that Consolidated Freightways no longer exists, and Freightliner now is controlled by a German company.

Nhuskys
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Badged a Dodge, it will stay a Dodge..... As pug and rlent said, my brass is better put somewhere else. I stretched the budget buying it and setting up to work. M-B is cool, but as Jef and Jon said, Freightliner is iconic in the US. Will always picture, those White Freightliner single axle CF cabovers with the tire chains hanging from tanks, pulling short tandems down the road. As Commander Cody sang..... " I sure love them White Freightliners, but there was something in momma's eye's....."
Did get a slight re-badge....
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/Nhuskys/IMG_0919-1.jpg
Norman

Magnum44
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I'll probably leave mine as a Dodge. I kind of feel like I would be bragging if I actually changed it out. If it came with the Mercedes badging I would of course leave it. I did however have someone ask if it had a Hemi in it and when I said it was a Diesel he remarked "oh, it has the Cummins". I left it at that because I could see it was going to take a long time to explain it to this guy.:bash:

jdcaples
10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Several drivers have asked me if there's a Detroit Diesel behind my Freightliner grille. I usually say, "nah, i got the MB engine."

Only one person has asked if it's the MBE 900, found in the M2 Business class chassis.

I wish. Wait, no I don't. Well, if I didn't care about fuel economy, then, yeah, "I wish!"

-Jon

new-york2004
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Good call Scott
Richard
mercedes_sprinter_1024_1.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=435&stc=1&d=1166436580)sp2.jpgd54aac7a-7617-4950-9c20-ae49f4222885Large.jpg (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=434&stc=1&d=1166436521)

i like that chrome piece:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,where can i get one:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::droo l::bow::bow:

Altered Sprinter
11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
i like that chrome piece:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,where can i get one:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::droo l::bow::bow:
England where the pendulum swings
Threads of Interest
Bush Guards/Bumpers (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336&highlight=bush+bars)
How 'bout a BRUSH GUARD?!? (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974&highlight=bush+bars)
Aftermarket Bumber covers (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3010&highlight=bush+bars)
But we make the whole dam lot down under! We're alloy chrome heads:rad::rad::rad:
http://www.jandjbullbars.com.au/bullbars.html#
but most of all you need these bull bar wall street evaders in the back of your van, for those wacky crazy Bronxing Queens, Trixie taxi drivers:tongue: I mean I drove once in wall to wall st peak hour traffic, and it was enough to give me the permanent Manhattan blues.:rant:
Richard

windsprinter
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Interesting how the poll results are going. Clearly, Freightliner has more 'street cred' than Dodge! Almost half the people that bought Dodge rebadged to Merc. Less than a quarter of Freightlinger people did so.

The poll doesn't cover some other possiblities: Mine is 'hybrid'. While getting some business decals cut, I asked them for some mercedes decals for hub caps and one for a rear-door badge. They look excellent, and I've had several people look puzzled and ask me whether its a Dodge or Mercedes!

hp2owner
12-05-2008, 04:01 AM
I re badged as BMW. Sure get a lot of wierd looks as i pass. Bet the bimmer dealer in town gets daily questions about availability.:hmmm:

cedarsanctum
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I re badged as BMW. Sure get a lot of wierd looks as i pass. Bet the bimmer dealer in town gets daily questions about availability.:hmmm:

That is Cool.
You should look for some of the Freightliner parts that go around that badge. They're round, like the badge.

generamo
01-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Good call Scott
Richard

Holie Cow,Rich! Where did you get that grill guard? That looks fantastic :thumbup:, Gene

AddicksAir
01-30-2009, 02:39 AM
I want the AMG logo for my back door. Won't that get the MB people talking.:bash:

Pistonbroke
01-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Why are the Americans so keen to change their Dodge and similar badges to mercedes, are you not proud of your american companies and prefer German?

BaywoodBill
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
That's an excellent question Pistonbroke. When you drive a vehicle made in another country, do you want to hide or disclose the country of manufacture? I have a van that was made in Germany and converted to an RV in Canada and it displays a Dodge Grill and the Leisure Travel logo. It has the grill of an American company that is owned partly by Mercedes and partly by the three-headed dog. All-in-all, this vehicle is pretty much a mongrel.

Some vehicles folks drive are made in Mexico and they have a grill that says VW. Other folks have a car that was made in Alabama that says Toyota.

Don't know if pride is involved in any of that.

Bill

Pistonbroke
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Im In the UK, and we here allways rate US products as very well made and will generally will outlast the buyer. the trouble is not a lot of US products are sold outside the US, as you have a substantial domestic market.

Were you aware than Most armani goods are made in china, but the final button (or equivelant) is fitted in Italy which then allows it to have a made in Italy label attached !!!

same goes for a lot of label goods, I also ordered parts recently for my C3 Corvette from Ecklers in the US, and made in China was on the origin label.(quality was very poor compared to original)

Jon

ECU
02-13-2009, 12:51 AM
I've only been thinking about it. But the reason I would change is looks. I dislike the dodge grill. The mercedes grill with less chrome is nice. I dislike the logo encroching on the hood in a semicircle too. No win there. I probably will order a mercedes logo for my steering wheel, the dodge one in there just looks like a mistake.
I may just take off all branding.

sunbow
04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
bought a Dodge, now a Mercedes

claudalfa
04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Purchased as Dodge that is really a MB and now I am out there as a Mercedes with necessary grill and labels.

ECU
04-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Update.
I've always leaned toward the mercedes look. I did it yesterday. Pain in the :idunno: to get the chrome lip off the hood. Had to repaint.

texlock
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I bought a 2004 2500 that was originally sold in Mass. as a Freightliner. It was titled in Mass. but registered in Texas. When I went to get a TExas title, they could not find a listing for a Freightliner Sprinter so they registered it as a Dodge. It is badged as a freightliner. Good vehicle. I converted it to a mobile dog grooming van.

Mad Hatter
05-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Mine has "Freightliner" all over it, It was sold as a freightliner in Maryland, to a dude in Ohio. now I just bought it from Ohio and the paperwork says Dodge... :idunno:

I guess I'll have to see what Michigan calls it when my title comes back.

Maybe I'll go for the Benz look... Maybe not.

wildimaginations
05-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Bought as a MBZ and never changed. Too many MBZ car owners amazed at it.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/wildimaginations/PB300014.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/wildimaginations/PB300015.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/wildimaginations/PB300016.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/wildimaginations/PB300017.jpg

MercSprinterConversions
05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I Like the German plates on the front!!

eendmans
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
The plates are of the town called Würzburg.

Like your paintjob on the mirrors etc.:thumbup:

Magile
06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
FIAT

Get 'em here - http://www.drivernetwork.net/staticdriver/FIAT%20Decal.htm

Ciao, Magile

Altered Sprinter
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
FIAT

Get 'em here - http://www.drivernetwork.net/staticdriver/FIAT%20Decal.htm

Ciao, Magile
Traitor; who in the hell wants a F/ART :lol:
Richard

Sacto John
07-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Mine was re-badged as a Mercedes by the previous owner, well the grill, steering wheel and shift knob anyway. The rest of the Mercedes badges/hub inserts is being ordered by me piecemeal. Funny thing is I was a Mopar nut when I was in high school (n the early 90s)l I owned a 1969 383 Roadrunner, 1970 440 Barracuda, 1968 318 Dart. I also worked as a car salesman for a short time at a Dodge lot in 1995, so my Dodge bloodlines run deep. I fist got interested in Sprinter when I was looking for the perfect family tow vehicle in at a Dodge dealership 2005, when the sales man showed me a Sprinter. My brother has always been a Mercedes Diesel freak (he is currently driving a 1982 240D) so he was all over it when I told him what I wanted to buy. Personal economic situation has held me back from buying one until this last month when I finally found my dream Van. Badging it as a Mercedes is what the Sprinter deserves as that is what it is. Incidentally my wife told me I could only buy one if it was a "Mercedes" Sprinter

eendmans
07-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Welcome! And have fun on the Forum!:cheers:

Blackcatter
10-16-2009, 09:03 PM
We just added the MB emblem to the hood, the MB wording on the back door and the 'powered by MB" on the front doors. Didn't change the shift or the steering wheel. Also didn't bother with the grille at this point, though one of the places it's held on is broken, so I might need to replace it eventually. Haven't added one of the 'powered by' on the passenger door because a previous owner thought it'd be fun to swap the 2 & 5 to make it a 5200 and used some sort of glue that srewed up the paint. Heaven't gotten to the paint issue yet. I've never don'e paint on a car, so I'm waiting awhile until the stuff I need/know about are done.

Mike Horton
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
My 02 bought as a Freightliner now a MB. I hit a deer and wiped out the grill and the left headlight. Turns out the MB grill was cheaper than the Freightliner! No brainer after that! 3 days after the repair I hit ANOTHER deer! Wiped out right headlight and left head light and the grill. Now the Van looks new again.

When running at night I keep my eyes peeled for deer! Over 10 years without a ticket or accident and now our insurance company made me take a defensive driver course! Deer were not mentioned anywhere in the test!

Last year boss gave me the green light to buy a new 08 Sprinter. The 02 has 340,000 miles on it and I passed it down to another driver. The 08 is also badged as a Freightliner. I'm looking for deer so I can upgrade once more!

Lets face it guys; It was made by MB. Badged as anything else looks like crap. My 2 cents.:turd:

Blackcatter
10-20-2009, 02:45 AM
"now our insurance company made me take a defensive driver course! Deer were not mentioned anywhere in the test!"

Perfect example of how messed-up our insurance industry is.

SwensonFamily
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Bought as a Dodge, Now is a Ram I guess, By this time next week Mercedes!. Article says remaining Sprinters will be sold through new RAM dealers although I have to believe the Sprinters will have been sold off before any Dodge dealers get around to rebranding: http://blog.caranddriver.com/chrysler-announces-dodge-ram-brand-shuffles-some-executives-car-news/

I have the Mercedes conversion kit in my garage and will swap out the badging next weekend…

-Jay

Altered Sprinter
10-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Badge positioning for those not sure where to place Mercedes Badge on Bonnet
I've seen a few set ways to low.
Richard
Badge not in direct line off set wrong

set the 'e' on the Mercedes badge as photo indicates
Then adjust for exact line up on the top and bottom edge profile line of the bonnet.

Mercedes NCV 906

qualityair
10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
:clapping:Thanks Richard, I've been wondering about this, as I've seen many pics on here and they seem inconsistent in their placement. I have put off installing mine till the "real MB's" got here, now I have the exact dimensions.:thumbup:

Altered Sprinter
10-28-2009, 11:07 AM
:clapping:Thanks Richard, I've been wondering about this, as I've seen many pics on here and they seem inconsistent in their placement. I have put off installing mine till the "real MB's" got here, now I have the exact dimensions.:thumbup: Your welcome I ran these up a few years back now so ! Thought it may be appropriate to place them on this current thread.
The measurements are dead spot on as they were taken from My NCV MB .apart from the badge being crooked which was as to the angle of the photograph I took it from, but the negative profile photo shows the correct alignment.
PS: The plastic overlay on the said badge does not like polish or hash detergents if the surface goes milky then it has to be replaced polishers will burn the plastic off it's very fragile mine lasted almost 5 years ,until I got a drop of water spot remover on it, and well I have to now replace it.:cry:
Richard

SwensonFamily
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I guess we have yet another choice in badging, albeit an expensvie one for novelty...

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_64&products_id=618

It does have an interesting look tho :thinking:
-Jay

sprinter77
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Convert an esteemed Sprinter in a unsatisfactory Crafter look :eek:
Personally i think that is the biggest wrong that could be made here :lol:
http://www.isfat.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/sorry.gif i do not want to offense anyone ;:smilewink: but the front of the Sprinter is finished better and has more class than a:turd:Crafter

Ciao a tutti :sleep::snore:

eendmans
11-10-2009, 08:36 PM
hear hear!!:cheers::thumbup::rad:

qualityair
11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Diversity is the spice of life.
You wouldn't want all your girlfriends/wifes to look and feel the same, do you?

There is one fella on here that did covert his sprinter to a crafter., its been a while back, but it turned out quite nice I think.

eendmans
11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
The VW Crafter also has different rear lights but these are not included in the package...

eendmans
11-17-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.uk-tuning.com/acatalog/VW_Crafter_Styling_bumper_T721593_400.jpg
I also found this: http://www.uk-tuning.com/acatalog/MERCEDES_BENZSPRINTER_W906_STYLING_BODYKITS.html

sikwan
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
The VW Crafter also has different rear lights but these are not included in the package...

CTMcDaniel went to VW for the other parts like lights, insignia, etc...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475

He certainly did something unique, even to real Crafters...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3972

Altered Sprinter
12-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Crafty Krafter by Kraft-works:thumbup: tail light has the 50's retro-bullet style :clapping:
I actually like the sister Krafter.
Richard

Altered Sprinter
04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Updating My Tin
313 CDi NCV rear badge:hugs:22800

Chandlerazman
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's my converted Dodge...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/MBHuey.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/MBHueyrear.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/MBSteeringwheelbadge.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/MBWheelbadge.jpg

I will be removing the "3500" designation from the sides this week.

xo1rider
05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
My Roadtrek SS Agile came to me with MB badges front and rear, MB emblem on steering wheel and all four wheels. The invoice shows the dealer swapped them out, from what I don't know - probably Dodge.

nicollet
08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Just because I could...
:laughing:

sprinter77
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Just because I could...
:laughing:
I like your idea :smilewink: but now you also have to put the Porsche wheels i thought :smirk:
.... i really would try a race vs a Porsche Sprinter :lol:

gww7576
08-21-2010, 06:12 PM
RoadTrek Freightliner from the start. Saw a new Interstate at the Benz dealer with Freightliner badging (& a $117K sticker price!). Doesn't really matter, everyone who cares knows where they came from.

boxcar
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Was, is & will be a Dodge... unless she becomes a Chrysler. :-)

Brenton
12-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Took off the freightliner badge and trim, painted the hood and put a Mercedes grill on. Added badge on hood "mercedes" script on back door and Amg wheels. Blacked out bottom 8" of body, painted bumpers black. Added rain visors and tinted back and side windows. Gets lots of good comments now but I sometimes think fellow (construction) workers are jealous. Perfect!! http://sprinter-source.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

eendmans
12-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Pics??

KMDE
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Bought as MB and still is, however I think the FL looks the best front and back.
If I had my way I would put the FL grill in and keep (would need a smaller one) the MB badge up front.
Maybe a FL rear badge with Mercedes Benz wrote on chrome in back would look nice.
Though if I had it my way it would be a crafter, that front end makes me drool.
Why is it Dodge and FL give you a chrome grille and MB not?..
Telling folks we drive a Mercedes van is good for business =]

Bart Lee
01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd vote in the poll but my option is not on the list.

Life long 'stone stock' type. Until this vehicle, '04 2500 passenger. I now have to drive about 4 hours to even find a civil Dodge service manager to talk to. I can get 'Dodge' parts fairly locally (less than an hour) if I am willing to listen to the parts desk people bitch at me.

The goat's gone. also the numbers. Everything except the simple rr door Sprinter script is gone. Totally everything that has to do with adolescent virility symbolism is gone. The paint under all the stick-on stuff buffed out perfectly. Masked, abraided & flat blacked the steering wheel button is very nicely understated. The hubcap goats are forever after nose stuck to the inside of a pop riveted olive jar lid.

Altered Sprinter
01-31-2011, 07:21 AM
I'd vote in the poll but my option is not on the list.

Life long 'stone stock' type. Until this vehicle, '04 2500 passenger. I now have to drive about 4 hours to even find a civil Dodge service manager to talk to. I can get 'Dodge' parts fairly locally (less than an hour) if I am willing to listen to the parts desk people bitch at me.

The goat's gone. also the numbers. Everything except the simple rr door Sprinter script is gone. Totally everything that has to do with adolescent virility symbolism is gone. The paint under all the stick-on stuff buffed out perfectly. Masked, abraided & flat blacked the steering wheel button is very nicely understated. The hubcap goats are forever after nose stuck to the inside of a pop riveted olive jar lid.
I think Bart Lee just made a statement.
But then again nothings black or white these days.
Richard

sprinter77
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Hello everybody :cheers:
This is the Sprinter of the boss that i drive frequently; so today I did this in rear of it. :smirk:

eendmans
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
:thumbup:

KMDE
02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
This is what I want. Freightliner grill with Mercedes tag. Found it on ebay.
Who wants to trade?

psalm66
02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I think Bart Lee just made a statement.
But then again nothings black or white these days.
Richard
Up Close and Personal.JPG (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30143&d=1296462102)

:spam: :lol:

sully
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
They didn't have an option for my badging in the poll! :(

My badging is 3 small glue dots on the front grill badge and 3 small glue dots on the rear door badge.

It used to say "Freightliner" at one point in time, but that time has long passed.

harlequin
06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyone here do the 04 Dodge 2500 to Mercedes conversion?

mbgtown
06-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Are you ready for 2012? I will have the all new specs and pricing for 2012 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Vans on July 1st and should have them posted on www.sprinterguy.com by the 4th.

Dave, the "Sprinter Guy"

Altered Sprinter
06-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Are you ready for this number?

stargirl2b
07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
4th try...argh.
My van began life as a Freightliner, and then lost the front tag. I put it back, and lost it again. So CT Freightliner put on a new one. Then the back one came off. In and out of the "3 dots" phase. The back one apparently got lost somewhere again and I didn't notice so I'm " " back there. Then, the week before the announcement of the change to MB, the whole front id strip fell off and I entered the " goo ick goo dirty goo" phase. Now it is just plain clean white paint. I'm " " except for the wheels and the steering wheel. Confused the cop a lot when I was stopped for speeding (yes, in the Sprinter...). I also lost the black stickers on the sides that said "Powered by Mercedes Benz". I wouldn't mind the MB emblem in the front to fill in the semi-circular hole, but can't see spending that kind of money for it. Perhaps a nice Veyron badge or something.

jmac5058
07-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Iv always wondered what happens when the cops pull you over in your Mercedes van and your registration says Dodge.Can you get the registry to change that or must it stay the orignal builder?

jimannmoss
08-24-2011, 03:41 PM
What is the 2011 Roadtrek Adv anyway? We just bought a new to us RT. Our old 1996 RTV - I know is a Dodge. What's in a name?

micgyver
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey Guys, Here in Toronto, Canada I bought a 2006 Dodge SPrinter which I got the kit to put it back to a Mercedes 316. Boy did I get a surprise form my local Dodge Dealer (Raceway) which it was bought from, I got the cold shoulder and was told to take it to a Merc dealer when I went for service after relabeling it. Well need-less to say they won't be seeing it and I hope more owners will go back to Mercedes for service. It might be a bit more but I think they only do things once? :idunno:

eendmans
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
What an idiots... Maybe they have too much work on their hands these days.:idunno:

Great Pumpkin
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
well on a whim and cuz my younger brother needed a metal scupter project for a college assignment i took my Dodge and rebranded it as a Decepticon and as "payment" for hauling him and his three roommates back and forth they decided to suprise me with a chip they imbedded somewhere in the sounds system that emit the "transforming" sound from the movies when ever i start the thing up....(hiding face in hat right now):idunno:

Nbulken
12-25-2011, 03:46 PM
well on a whim and cuz my younger brother needed a metal scupter project for a college assignment i took my Dodge and rebranded it as a Decepticon and as "payment" for hauling him and his three roommates back and forth they decided to suprise me with a chip they imbedded somewhere in the sounds system that emit the "transforming" sound from the movies when ever i start the thing up....(hiding face in hat right now):idunno:

oh we need pics of that!

verojohn
01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Why are the Americans so keen to change their Dodge and similar badges to mercedes, are you not proud of your american companies and prefer German?

If it were partnered with Ford, I doubt anyone would re badge. Dodge is and was junk and when I bought my first Sprinter back in 2007, it was a Dodge and the service was terrible because it was at a Dodge dealership.

For the record, I just picked up my third Sprinter last night, it's an MB badge.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/ghosthorsfarms/NewMBVan.jpg

Jersey Blues Man
01-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Purchased as a Dodge in 2007, changed over to MB 2010.
before and after...

2004OhioSprinter
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Mine came as a Freightliner. Both the front and the rear came loose over time and I re-glued them in place. The front one either came loose again or was wanted by someone as it came up missing one day. I found a nice MB badge for a couple of bucks and cut some gray plastic to fill the void and then stuck the MB badge on top of that. So - front of van is a MB and back of van is still a Freightliner.
Dannie

mawsea
02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Well after seven years i finally found a used benz grill and did the ol' switch-a-roo. When I first bought this van I yanked all the Dodge emblems off after some very poor service from the dealership. Now it is a legit Mercedes thru and thru. Although I think I will black out the star so its not so bling.
I added a black strip above the grill to get rid of the straight hood look and give it a proper mercedes shape. Now my next goal is to do a solid color wrap to get rid of the all that blinding white.

interstate2007
02-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi

I have a 06 Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter -- Airstream Interstate RV conversion -- and want to re-badge it to look more like a Mercedes and wondered where you were able to get the new grill and how hard is it to remove the chrome trim piece on the leading edge of the hood. It looks pretty permanent to me and has to come off to accommodate the Mercedes grill. I'm in Anacortes just up the road from Seattle.
Any hints would be welcomed

Bob P

mawsea
02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I found my grill used on ebay. The chrome hood strip is stuck on with adhesive, i found it hard to take off, maybe it would of been easier if it was done on a warm day. There are some tricks, like using fishing line to get behind the adhesive tape. Europarts of Sandiego sells just the grille.....

mawsea
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
it feels like a whole new van now!

interstate2007
02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Wow --Thanks Mawsea for your very quick reply. I will go check out Europarts in San Diego. We are heading down that way later this month so it might be an opportunity to pick up a new grill. I had bought a front passenger seat swivel from those guys last year and was happy with their service.

Bob P

Cranesway
03-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey everybody
I've got the Mercedes badge on my 2010 so far, but being a painter, I find it a bit ostentatious to pull up to someone's house to paint a ceiling with it. I've looked into changing to freight liner because I feel it might be a bit more subtle. (plus, I like It better) From what I learned, it's necessary to replace not only the grill, but the hood and other miscalanious parts as well. If there are any 2010 freightliners out there that want to trade for a kick up in status, please give me a hit. Thanks
Cranesway@gmail.com

Dingo
03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO . For crying out loud keep it Merc & show your customers you have class & they have employed a successful contractor , who knows what's what

Many of my customers are impressed at my sprinter ( not the best looking , not always the cleanest ) but always getting there when they require me to be there . 400,000 + miles in various sprinter models . Total breakdowns , 1 faulty sensed injector , 1 blown clutch slave cylinder ( seals died ) . have had other niggles but only the injector stopped me by the side of the road & then only for twenty minutes . Then by wiggling wires it worked again ( on & off )

mawsea
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey everybody
I've got the Mercedes badge on my 2010 so far, but being a painter, I find it a bit ostentatious to pull up to someone's house to paint a ceiling with it. I've looked into changing to freight liner because I feel it might be a bit more subtle. (plus, I like It better) From what I learned, it's necessary to replace not only the grill, but the hood and other miscalanious parts as well. If there are any 2010 freightliners out there that want to trade for a kick up in status, please give me a hit. Thanks
Cranesway@gmail.com

What about just blacking out the Benz star?

maxi sprinter
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok, maybe a dumb question, but why would you convert it to a crafter, and if it's worthy as sprinter, why isn't there crafter in the poll options ?

And if so, I have more than one, what do I chose ? They're all originals, mercedes and crafter, i would hate to want to change my answer later. Or do I need to have one account for each of my vans ?

:D
xp

Cranesway
04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Hey mausea,
I've considered blacking it out, but I'd hate to have it start peeling later on. I've also considered taking some steel wool to it to give it a rubbed finish and take some of the bling down. I really don't want it to look hacked when I'm done. That would be bad.

mawsea
04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey mausea,
I've considered blacking it out, but I'd hate to have it start peeling later on. I've also considered taking some steel wool to it to give it a rubbed finish and take some of the bling down. I really don't want it to look hacked when I'm done. That would be bad.

I'm looking at blacking out my bling bling Benz star with a vinyl car wrap film. I found a sample size on eBay and am just waiting for some spring weather. The vinyl wrap comes in matte black or even carbon fiber.
I had spray painted my old dodge grill but it ended up peeling.

jmoller99
04-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a friend that is in the Nissan Z car club in Denver. They put on a display every year the Concours car (very nice Porsche, Ferrari, Corvettes, Mustangs, exotics, etc.) show in Denver (Mercedes shows at least 1 Sprinter there a year). I am thinking of modifying all of my 2.7 liter T1N Sprinter badging as a Datsun 270Z just for the show. I would have to join their club to do this and pay the entry fee to be in the show, but it may be worth it just to see how the Mercedes dealer reacts. If they ask why I re-badged it as a Datsun, I'll just tell them 'better service support'. I'll lay odds I can get it in the Denver newspaper if I do this right.

Cranesway
04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm looking at blacking out my bling bling Benz star with a vinyl car wrap film. I found a sample size on eBay and am just waiting for some spring weather. The vinyl wrap comes in matte black or even carbon fiber.
I had spray painted my old dodge grill but it ended up peeling.

The vinyl car wrap material could do the trick nicely. Thanks for a great professional option. I feel your pain for the dodge grill.

tesaje
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Mine is mostly badged with the original Dodge but somebody before me replaced the hood with a small blue Mercedes badge. I chose the Dodge still Dodge because my actual badging isn't in the poll. Whatever ...

AGP
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
2008 chassis. 2010 winebago conversion ERA. Over the past few weeks all the ERA labels removed and over half the stripes. The rear Winnebago logo red in color removed. Badged as a dodge and that will stay. It gets all kind of questions as the LIMITED logs are all that is left.

I am sure people look up the company limited to see who made it.:smirk:

icarus
08-04-2012, 03:58 AM
My came as a Fl, and it will remain so. I personally don't like the look of the MB badging. Being an old truck driver, I think there is a bit more respect on the road with Fl badging. Probably my imagination.

Icarus

TomLetsinger
10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Our 2006 was a DodgCedes when we bought it. Grill and steering wheel had been changed from Dodge to Mercedes but the hub caps and rear door logo were still Dodge.
The original owner was a contractor of some sort in Portland named Igor (something with lots of consonants), so we named the van Igor. Looking at the Dodge letters on the back door, it occurred to me that I could make an I and an R, so now it is iGOR the Mercedes Sprinter Van. :smirk:

lindenengineering
10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
My came as a Fl, and it will remain so. I personally don't like the look of the MB badging. Being an old truck driver, I think there is a bit more respect on the road with Fl badging. Probably my imagination.

Icarus

Icarus
I tend to think the same way!
I just parked up a PM serviced Freightliner Sprinter next to a Columbia class rig (Detroit 60 series beneath, had EGR problems)
With the same radiator grill and logo, both in factory white they looked good together, yes looked good.
All I need is an Actros in white to finish the trio--(fat chance on these shores or in my shop) But I did see one badged as a Freightliner on 1/90 this summer near Butte Montana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jSQSueFrxzI
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Nice.

I once had a Utilimaster Walk-in van. I found and stuck a "Town Car" letter plate on the side under the normal lettering. A few people noticed and commented. That made it worth the effort. vic

Our 2006 was a DodgCedes when we bought it. Grill and steering wheel had been changed from Dodge to Mercedes but the hub caps and rear door logo were still Dodge.
The original owner was a contractor of some sort in Portland named Igor (something with lots of consonants), so we named the van Igor. Looking at the Dodge letters on the back door, it occurred to me that I could make an I and an R, so now it is iGOR the Mercedes Sprinter Van. :smirk:

aa9zz
01-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Anyone have information on part numbers to change a 2010 Sprinter 3500 Freghtliner grill to Mercedes grill?

Allantuttle1
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I have a 118" shorty badged Mercedes front and rear. Freightliner on the steering wheel and on the title. I want to replace all the badges with the symbol of the Triforce from The legend of Zelda game. (Just joking)

Oakman
01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Anyone have information on part numbers to change a 2010 Sprinter 3500 Freghtliner grill to Mercedes grill?

I do conversions on all the different model vans. My company just took over the operations of a former sprinter converter that had about 6 mercedes conversion kits and 6 dodge conversion kits. We've also got hubcaps, d-rings and so many odds and ends that I couldn't begin to know what's in all the boxes.

We've got the grills and the surrounds for the grills. Haven't tried to find pricing but I'm sure we'd give a great deal on them.

New member here so I hope I'm not violating any rules but you can email me at rbjjwood@yahoo.com

Bill
www.oaktreevans.com

Vandriver2
01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Freightliner
2011 2500 170"wb ext

Throttlejockey
02-02-2013, 02:38 AM
04 Dodge converted to Mercedes. Grill, center caps. AMG emblem on steering wheel and rear door.

Skiyup
02-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Started out as a Dodge, After a $3000.00 deer hit it was as cheap to go with Mercedes grille, hood, etc. Now I finally have a Mercedes Benz! Skip

PaulJensen
04-18-2013, 02:25 AM
I'm thinking about replacing the Benz emblem on the grille (2006) with a VW emblem...They designed the body afterall...Any ideas on where to get something the same size...???...

israndy
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
If they did design the body, they kept the VW shape for themselves:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/VW_LT35_2.5Tdi_2002.jpg/280px-VW_LT35_2.5Tdi_2002.jpg

Assuming your 2006 is a NAFTA, than the above photo would be the VW version and as you can see the whole front end is modified. Your best hope is LOTS of duct tape.

-Randy

PaulJensen
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Duct tape is for amateurs...

darkstar
04-18-2013, 10:18 PM
A VW bus emblem from a 73 to 79 is 7 1/4 inches same as 06 Mercedes sprinter emblem I believe

PaulJensen
04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
The search is ON...!!!...

sailquik
04-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Paul,
Would you like to explain to us where your theory that VW designed the T1N Sprinter Body came from.
Is there some online documentation that suggests or confirms this?
Yes, the VW Crafter is a MB Sprinter with a nose job, but I've always thought the MB Sprinter came first,
and the Crafter was a redesign.
Roger

PaulJensen
04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I just tried to find that source, and now feel you are right, a MB team did the design and "French car designer Laurent Boulay is responsible for the frontal design of the Crafter, which takes cues from the Volkswagen Constellation." From Wikipedia...

Barefootslim
10-15-2013, 02:32 AM
I prefer to call my "Dogedes" "Merdodge" Mercdeges" "Sprodge" ....:idunno:
Awww Hell I just call her Wanda! I buy and sell antiques , collectables and "Junktiques". And "Wanda" all over the mid south looking for fine previously owned merchandise at a bargain price. (JUNK)
I picked up an 05 with the 5cyl turbo diesel back in march. I hauled my 03 Honda element home on a car trailer from nashville Tn To Memphis tn ( thank ya.... thank ya very much) and got over 18 mpg! Thats going up and down them thar hills up yonder
So far I've put over 10 k on her. Unloaded I'm getting 27 mpg! (Checked several times and even used a calculator) Loaded I'm getting 22 ~ 24mpg! I drive it like i own it, keep my foot out of the go fast peddle, coast when coming up to a light, start off easy and keep it calm when cruising. And, generally drive it as I think a vehicle should be driven.
HOWEVER (he says) I've been running down a 2 lane in North Central Arkansas and looked down at the go fast needle..... I was doing 85! I swear it felt like I was doing 60! It still had plenty of peddle left!
I did put my foot in it one (or twice) A young man had a tricked out chevy 1 ton 4 door with a Duramax. His dad said they hit it with a "bigger hammer". We lined up on the highway and I left him sitting there! His old man was HOOTING when we got back. Said he was selling the truck and getting him one of those German bad ass vans! (The boy was not impressed.... I was):tongue:

It rides like a log wagon, but a good log wagon. It has plenty of power and great road manners. It goes exactly where i point it! Brakes are fair and took a bit of getting use to but are Ok now.
I'm AMAZED at the amount of stuff I can pack in her. A dining room suite including a sideboard and table with 6 chairs. 4 big library counters with drawers. A sofa, antique oak office chair and about a dozen or more boxes! Plus etc etc....
Any way this is my first Sprinter, dodge, freightliner, mercedes whatchamacallit it is, van. It most certainly will not be my last.

It's a base model. I wish like hell ! That it had at least cruise control. Power windows and locks would be a blessing.

A couple of questions:
1) How hard would it be to add cruise control to this 2005 wanda van?
2)How about adding power windows and locks
3) Are there any low restriction intake systems available
4) MOST Important.... Are there any quirks or maladies associated with this year or model?
5) What about maintenance issues ? Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've been looking at these things since freightliner started importing them a decade ago. I've heard nothing but great things about them Any one who drives them has had nothing but great things to say about them!

Any way I really like the forum here guys. I looked around and i think this one I can put some stock in!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Keep on trucking! :rad:
Barefootslim

Cole
01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Why does this thread keep popping up as "new" when the last post seems to be months ago?:idunno:

After cruising the pictures in Paul Jensen's thread on Expedition Portal I decided the Sprinter looks much more natural with the proper Mercedes grill on it that it was designed for! Not the blingy, poorly executed afterthought of the Dodge grill! So I ordered one today!

Picture stolen from Paul's thread :idunno: (since it was the only one I've seen recently of both grills next to each other!)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3712/11931193136_90d29229a0_o_d.jpg

israndy
01-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Perhaps its return to current can be explained by the fact that it is both a thread and a poll. If you subscribe to it you will only get notice if the messages have been added to, but looking at new messages on the site will likely show any changes. I do more of the former than the latter, so I often miss threads that are new when I am not looking.

-Randy

larry8061
01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
What badging? It all fell off! Mercedes can't pay that much for the good glue! Oh and by the way I am now up to 13 UNSOLD Sprinters (and still counting)!!!! 13 people thinking of buying this pile of crap and *I* talked them out of it! Yeh ME!

Larry

maxi sprinter
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Never seen it fall off here in Europe, do they make it especially crappy for the US market ?

larry8061
01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
U.S. and "crappy" in the same sentence? How dare you! LOL!! I am sure those that actually "care" and keep track of such things can tell you how long the "U.S." glue holds but if a 2004 vintage Sprinter has badging on it then it got re-applied. NONE of my badging is on, it fell off LONG ago. There was even a thread on here a number of years ago to that effect.

Larry

maxi sprinter
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Is it possible all the sprinters for the US market are shipped with no badging done whatsoever, and then it's glued on after shipping, depending what badge it goes under ?

Cole
01-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Is it possible all the sprinters for the US market are shipped with no badging done whatsoever, and then it's glued on after shipping, depending what badge it goes under ?

Certainly possible. I know there are lots of things we *think* are manufacturer standard features that area stalled once they hit our shores.

sailquik
01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Sorry guys,
The determination as to the vehicles "badging/branding" is made at the Mercedes Sprinter Factory in Dusseldorf.
There are differences in the trims/valencesgrilles between MB/Dodge/Freightliner front ends.
The brand is listed on the MB "build" data/options card for each vehicle by VIN# and Options Codes.
Here's an example for a 2014 MB 170" Cargo:
Z44 REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE NOT POSSIBLE IN EU
ZU8 USA COUNTRY VERSION
ZZ4 MERCEDES-BENZ SCOPE OF BRANDS, NORTH AMERICA
vs
Here's one for a 2014 Freightliner:
Z44 REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE NOT POSSIBLE IN EU
ZU8 USA COUNTRY VERSION
ZX9 FREIGHTLINER EXECUTION

eendmans
01-16-2014, 06:18 PM
I have been at the factory in Düsseldorf a few times. The parking lot is public access. All Sprinters there are already badged for US and European markets.

Cole
01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I have been at the factory in Düsseldorf a few times. The parking lot is public access. All Sprinters there are already badged for US and European markets.

What is that picture supposed to show? I don't see anything but Mercedes?:idunno:

eendmans
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
What is that picture supposed to show? I don't see anything but Mercedes?:idunno:
The black one in front is for the US, it has a non European licenseplateholder. And yes, they are all Mercedes. In Europe we don't have that Bluetec badge on the back.
Pics are from 2011 btw.

eendmans
01-16-2014, 07:02 PM
It isn't allowed to take pictures inside the factory but I have been there twice. All different Sprinters and Crafter are made on the same production line.
See also this thread: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24065&highlight=d%FCsseldorf

Fastpaddler2
01-18-2014, 02:44 AM
I have Dodge on my front emblem and Dodge onthe back door on my 2006 Pleasure-way Plateau TS. Sure, it has 'powered by Mercedes Benz' on the side, but really, the vehicle doesnt seem to be embarrassed and I couldnt give a r--s a-s what it is called. It runs great and has been troublefree. Love the I-5 which is a bit rougher than the V6 but probably toughter too.
No biggey for me.

Cole
01-18-2014, 02:54 AM
I have Dodge on my front emblem and Dodge onthe back door on my 2006 Pleasure-way Plateau TS. Sure, it has 'powered by Mercedes Benz' on the side, but really, the vehicle doesnt seem to be embarrassed and I couldnt give a r--s a-s what it is called. It runs great and has been troublefree. Love the I-5 which is a bit rougher than the V6 but probably toughter too.
No biggey for me.

For me its not a matter of the branding but the actual design. The Mercedes grill is obviously the one the van was designed around. The black grill simply looks correct. The others look like a bad afterthought.

FlyingBreadBox
01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I now like that our Dodge kind of hides it's origin. Half of the US is still not so keen on European cars. I do not want to be included in the $100,000 plus Conversion Club for theft reasons alone. Maybe I will add a Big Ram Badge on the front... no!

Cole
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Right! Cause a big diesel pickup is cheap these days!
I've never seen anyone mistake a Mercedes cargo van for a $100k car. Especially when Mercedes has ads all over TV advertising their luxury cars starting at $29k.

smiller
03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Out of curiosity I looked at the cost of properly rebadging a Dodge to Mercedes and it's pretty costly. I guess I'm missing why anyone would bother? Is there any real-world advantage or is it just a vanity thing?

Cole
03-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Out of curiosity I looked at the cost of properly rebadging a Dodge to Mercedes and it's pretty costly. I guess I'm missing why anyone would bother? Is there any real-world advantage or is it just a vanity thing?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "properly rebadge".

I'm a fan of "industrial and automotive design". I feel that when Dodge, and Freightliner rebadged the Mercedes product they destroyed the essence of the design. For me it had nothing to do with the branding itself.

I swapped in the Mercedes grill because it's obvious (to me) that this is the way the van was intended to look. (shorter black grill, half circle cut out in hood, etc. Not the large extended chrome grills with lines that don't match the rest of the van lines).

I didn't bother to add any Mercedes badges back on. (except where it was part of the grill). I simply deleted the other badges for a clean look. The designers probably didn't make the van around those logos anyway.

So, if you want to buy all of the "Mercedes" badges and logos for every part of the van I'm sure it can get expensive. If you just want to delete them all and swap in a proper grill then the cost is pretty low.

israndy
03-13-2014, 01:57 PM
I just went with the "Powered by Mercedes-Benz" badges on the side, cheap and gets the point across w/o the dealer giving you grief. When I had Freightliner badging they were all open arms, now that I have Dodge badging (on the same style Sprinter) they don't wanna know. Fortunately I also have a local Dodge dealer who services my Sprinter now and charges me a 1/3rd. Yeesh!

-Randy

awaywego
04-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Dodge. This is also my first Detroit big 3 vehicle and I kinda like it. In my limited ownership experience, mb badged sprinter owners always nod or wave or acknowledge the sprinter no matter the badging.
And the badging is indeed a vanity thing...no improved aerodynamics or engine performance.
Lastly, I live in a working class neighborhood and I'd rather have a dodge parked here than an MB.

Cole
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Dodge. This is also my first Detroit big 3 vehicle .

....um......it isn't a "big 3" vehicle. Its a Mercedes with glued on Dodge badges.:idunno:

Sunnyandrich
05-11-2014, 11:50 AM
We did the conversion from Freightliner to Mercedes this past weekend on our 09 RT Adventurous RS. Very pleased with the result. Coach looks much more up to date, the Freightliner grille never appealed to me.

We did DIY and ordered parts online. Costs were: grille kit ($359.97 shipped: grille, MBZ valance, grommets, MBZ hood badge), chrome stainless accent piecesX4 ($73), local MBZ auto body shop to paint valence and remove the top molding/buff hood ($199.88), rear door circular MBZ badge, ($50+shipping). Took maybe two hours to remove and install parts, just needed T20 and T27 Torx bits and common hand tools.

Not bad, compared to an eye-watering $2,000 estimate from an Orlando Roadtrek dealer, and an off hand "well, that will be two days labor plus parts" from one of the Tampa RV specialists.

Mein Sprinter
05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
We did the conversion from Freightliner to Mercedes this past weekend on our 09 RT Adventurous RS. Very pleased with the result. Coach looks much more up to date, the Freightliner grille never appealed to me.

We did DIY and ordered parts online. Costs were: grille kit ($359.97 shipped: grille, MBZ valance, grommets, MBZ hood badge), chrome stainless accent piecesX4 ($73), local MBZ auto body shop to paint valence and remove the top molding/buff hood ($199.88), rear door circular MBZ badge, ($50+shipping). Took maybe two hours to remove and install parts, just needed T20 and T27 Torx bits and common hand tools.

Not bad, compared to an eye-watering $2,000 estimate from an Orlando Roadtrek dealer, and an off hand "well, that will be two days labor plus parts" from one of the Tampa RV specialists.

Did you also do this:

http://elsha.smugmug.com/Other/Sprinter-Modifications/i-MZL2rFp/0/M/My%20Sprinter%20008-M.jpg

To this:

http://elsha.smugmug.com/Other/Sprinter-Modifications/i-cVkRTJt/0/L/P1130986-L.jpg

cheers...

Sunnyandrich
05-12-2014, 12:34 AM
^^^^. Not yet. On the list though.

Do you have a part no. or source for the steering wheel cover?

Paul_E_D
05-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm converting my dodge to mercedes for vanity reasons. LOL. I'm painting the van later this summer, so now is the time to do it. I'm into it for about 80 bucks and some elbow grease so far. I've done the grille, grill badge, hood badge.

Only other bit I'm going to do is a rear door star. So maybe another 25 bucks?

Oh, and I'd like that steering wheel cover too...

10man
05-21-2014, 02:40 AM
A customer of ours wanted Rolls Royce and Ghost Sprinter. Not my thing but its not my money.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10259909_10152197881753073_9101239030099959343_n.j pg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10325363_10152197881693073_3197319879804450874_n.j pg

Ghost Sprinter Build
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152197881558073.1073741844.96585278072&type=1

Leipziger
05-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Hello people and sprinter fans ...

For me it is sometimes the other way around.
I have my Sprinter transformed into Freightliner optics.
Here in Germany says Freightliner no one anything, except to employees of the plant and the MB branches. Only when I mention the trucks the people know what is a Freightliner..
So can you maybe help me?
I get in Germany no off the Freightliner airbag emblems.
Do any of you by chance this emblems? I need only the emblems without the cover.
Are these emblems maybe in your Country somewhere commercially available?

Best regards

Mein Sprinter
05-21-2014, 01:40 PM
^^^^. Not yet. On the list though.

Do you have a part no. or source for the steering wheel cover?

Cannot remember the parts number but got mine from an Ebay vendor that periodically sells the steering wheel airbag cover(s)...... from Europe. Got mine from Poland via Germany for about $175 including shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/AGE-Styling/Airbag-Covers-/_i.html?_fsub=7489942&_sid=128963505&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Once you get one read and re-read this:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14720

cheeers....

Cole
08-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Just to add a bit more to my earlier comments about the Mercedes grill looking "right" on the Sprinter vs the rebadged Dodge/Freightliner grills.

Here is an example of why.

This is the detail of the holes on the stock hood vent on all T1n

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3924/14657354760_999266e945_b_d.jpg

And here are the holes in the Mercedes grill.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/14657410299_b5ea41a870_b_d.jpg

baja
08-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Freightliner To. Mercedes

mmanning
01-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi
When my Sprinter gets here from Germany it will of course be a MB! Which is good except that people here steal anything including name plates: frown:

lindenengineering
01-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Hello people and sprinter fans ...

For me it is sometimes the other way around.
I have my Sprinter transformed into Freightliner optics.
Here in Germany says Freightliner no one anything, except to employees of the plant and the MB branches. Only when I mention the trucks the people know what is a Freightliner..
So can you maybe help me?
I get in Germany no off the Freightliner airbag emblems.
Do any of you by chance this emblems? I need only the emblems without the cover.
Are these emblems maybe in your Country somewhere commercially available?

Best regards

Leipziger
Greetings
If you want Freightliner emblems etc simply PM me with your requirements.
I am often converting Sprinters to MB badging and reverse to Dodge and Frerightliner.
Cheers Dennis

lindenengineering
01-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Hey Guys
Why stop with the van?
How about this to add to your driving persona!:lol:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mercedes-benz-jewelry

:cheers:Dennis

surlyoldbill
01-18-2015, 02:04 AM
I have an odd sense of humor. I think it would be funny to have an actual expensive car (Italian super-car for instance) and change the badging to Hyundai or Tata.

lindenengineering
01-18-2015, 03:13 AM
I have an odd sense of humor. I think it would be funny to have an actual expensive car (Italian super-car for instance) and change the badging to Hyundai or Tata.

Bill
Yeh me too!
Actually a few years ago I had a Suzuki Swift and it was "swift" but looked just like a cooking three pot Geo Metro! No Badges! Dull red paintwork!
Some fool in a Ford F350 Dually with wide wheels and an exhaust system I could have driven the Geo into tried to out gun me up the ramp onto the the local ring road (C470).
Of course no contest!
A lot of diesel wheezing, spooling up, belching black smoke and a measure of testosterone, has the guy tried chasing me down the highway like a pack of lions on the hunt!:lol:

As I peeled off at my exit, he drove by me giving me some enthusiastic finger salutes! :laughing:
He got so close to me at one stage I couldn't see the blue oval in the rear view mirror before I kicked it into 3rd at 80 mph and left him behind! Of course underneath was a 4 cylinder twin cam 1200 cc motorcycle style engine good for 125 mph!

Fast forward about 6 months and I was doing an evening Ford Powerstroke update course at the local Ford agent. In the group of us students was this guy warbling on about his 7.3 and continually interrupting the lecturer to the point of irritation.
About 8,00pm there was a pee and drink break and 15 minutes smokes for those that smoke!
I wandered out into the car park and there was this guy still waha whah wahing :yell:about his red F350.. I recognized it from the "altercation" the previous summer .
When we sat back down I had had enough like many of the other mechs in the class!
I was there to learn something for my $250 fee.
So asked him if he remembered mixing it up with Geo Metro in Golden?
Was that you he exclaimed? Yep!:thumbup:
And I could see the honor of America was at stake up against a lowly Geo Metro.
"I never knew one of those things could go so fast!"--you must have hit 120 mph at least!
127 mph actually!
The class was howling by then!
So he shut up and we luckily in the time left got some good servicing info & tips from the nice Ford man from Deerborne which of course was why were there!
Dennis

DesmoDave
03-11-2015, 11:58 PM
Did you also do this:

http://elsha.smugmug.com/Other/Sprinter-Modifications/i-MZL2rFp/0/M/My%20Sprinter%20008-M.jpg

To this:

http://elsha.smugmug.com/Other/Sprinter-Modifications/i-cVkRTJt/0/L/P1130986-L.jpg

cheers...

I need to do that, and my hood... or maybe I'll leave it bare.. but man.. what a HUGE improvement over the busted up peeling chrome POS grill I had on there before!

BEFORE:
http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Bumper_02-720x613.jpg

AFTER:
http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Sprinter_2015_03_05_06-720x540.jpg

What about the little number on the grill.. I guess I need to order those up too? Not even sure what the right ones are for a 2004. :idunno:

PATECO
03-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Almost complete rebadge of 2004 Freightliner

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10926190_4985285767399_575979516224061198_o.jpg

DesmoDave
03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
What is the right grill badge for the 2004 3500?

316CDI or 416CDI? I've Googled about and it seems like 416 is correct for the 3500's but maybe that's the only photos people tagged with 416? I don't know and so far have not found a page that clearly defines what that all means... Also trying to determine what badging belongs, if any, on the back for an MBZ de-re-badge?

Dmichaelwells
03-17-2015, 10:09 PM
I wish I could help DesmoDave but have done the same or similar research and cannot find a definitive explanation of those different badges. I am in the process of rebadging my 2008 Dodge Sprinter (sold as a 2010 Pleasureway Ascent) to Mercedes. The rear badge I received calls for me to replace the existing "CRD" to "318 CDI." I would like to know what the difference is before I do this. Both "CRD" and "318 CDI" have been used in descriptions of 2007-2010 Sprinters.

Throttlejockey
03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
2500= 316. 3500=416

You could always put an AMG badge on the rear like I did.

What is the right grill badge for the 2004 3500?

316CDI or 416CDI? I've Googled about and it seems like 416 is correct for the 3500's but maybe that's the only photos people tagged with 416? I don't know and so far have not found a page that clearly defines what that all means... Also trying to determine what badging belongs, if any, on the back for an MBZ de-re-badge?

elosby
03-18-2015, 03:42 AM
Mine is badged 2500 SHC on the side and I always knew, obviously, the 2500 part but it took me 3 years and asking without success 3 dealers until I found out it is Super High Ceiling. My neighbor suggested Super Highway Cruiser which I like better.
BTW A Freight-liner and always a Freight-liner. I do however have 2 full sets of manuals. One Dodge and one Freight liner. Kind of fun thinking about the number of ways this vehicle is referred to as.
best to all

Nevadarama
04-01-2015, 08:36 PM
We special ordered our 2012 Freightliner Sprinter and it will remain a Freightliner Sprinter. One of the special ordered items was to omit the badging (to make it easy to wrap), so the only place it says "Freightliner" is the top of the grill and the steering wheel, I remover the rear badge and replaced it with a blank black circle. There are no other badges saying anything anywhere else on our Sprinter. I would like to remove the Freightliner badge on the grill, but I think it will leave two holes that would look ugly...

Personally I would have preferred the van badged a Mercedes Benz, but I live with red necks and travel the more rural parts of America, so having a Freightliner to make them think it is a made in the USA vehicle, subdues the ass hole remarks because we didn't buy American. This helps me get permission to access private property to photograph.