Does the 02-03 MB Recall impact Australian Sprinters

PeterInSa

Reading the Thread on the US Recall for the 2500 Sprinter Range, was wondering if it affected us.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11527

Our Sprinters I understand come from Brazil, which may not be the same source as the US, so we may not have the same cable layouts etc.

Comments re Australia /NZ Sprinters appreciated

Also appreciate the advice/experience of US Sprinter owners

Peter

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Peter NAFTA sprinters have SCR; we don't. Nor do we have EGR valves, or resonators.
There is no recall in Australia as Mercedes V Chrysler are of different beasties.
The one and only coincidence of similarity is fuel. Some fuel rails were replaced, but not under warranty that I am aware of,and it was years latter.well outside of the three year warranty period.of 100 thousand kilometers at the time.for TIN T1 series 902/3/4/5 and 6.

2000 to 2003 Fuel was introduced LSD but it contained lubricating additives.by late 2004/2005 Fuels in Australia had progressed to ULSD but we had two suppliers of both LSD and ULSD
ULSD by 2007 had improved with a higher cetane value.45/48 CN BP introduced E ULSD on a trail basis first started in WA. Tas received this in 2008.

Extra ULSD is now 51 CN but you can still buy ULSD in the older formula. it's approx 3 cents cheaper than E ULSD.

S/A may have both Winter grade fuel and Summer grade fuels I'm not sure, nor have I checked. It was normally reserved for NSW and Victorian for mountain or alpine areas. Tasmania did receive an alpine grade fuel But to the best of my knowledge it was for designated fuel dump depots specific to the area. mostly mining operations.for older diesel underground machinery.and likely diesel rail trains. 30 year old technology.

Because Mercedes and other euro manufactured engines were delivered into Australia for Euro3/4/5 an/EEC 6 optional March to 2011.fuels by refinery's were by legislation upgraded to meet the Euro specs not all refiners did it,Like the Yanks word for word they bulked at the cost. and refused to meet or honor the 1998 Voluntary fuel and manufactures mandate for change. Mobil Exxon was the last to come on line as was Caltex chevron.same in the states word for word asking for exemption and TAX credits offsets.

BP was the First, Shell also did it but not in all regional locations mostly urban high demand centers Vic Tas NSW WA locations QLD has a different compliance as to Bio diesel blends , D10 Its a cleaner fuel, but the down side is less fuel mileage. as a result of the lower burn fuel blend rate.

September 2009 extra ultra low sulfur diesel 51 CN became available ,not all service stations have it. 2011May is the full compliance date, so you have to look for it and be sure the stations have not one, but two diesel fuel pumps available. for 10/ppm E ULSD fuels QLD has three as Bio fuel is also available as mentioned. If you think fuel is an issue when in out of known designated urban areas {When in doubt add an upper cylinder lubricant] and use a higher quality oil.if operating a lower temps.

We don't have the U.S issues as to Euro mandates high quality fuels with refinery added cleansing and deforming agents included.If you were to stay with one fuel base BP 100% guarantee its fuels. It does not guarantee a contaminate form a service station where known tank quality is an issue which can be tested or from rouge independents alternating the blends for a cheaper fuel, outside of the set Commonwealth standards.

July NCV 2009 Euro 5 engines changed the cooling of the EGR waste contaminates via the turbo and the radiator. The Mercedes just gets better and better. Yes the only down side is we all have the EGR valve now but to this day I have heard of no reported faults that can be directed to Mercedes-Benz as a design fault problem.,if the correct fuels and lubrication's are followed by or improved past Mercedes best practice of Daimler AG minimum requirements of operation.
What ever any Australian is looking at our ECU signals are different, don't compare our presets to a NAFTA Sprinter. As to Global country of destination.
Richard

Top Bottom