To those who've had LHM, turbo engine loss

Before your engine failure or Limp Home Mode which applied to you?

• Did you regularly idle over 1 minute

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Did you rarely change the fuel & oil filters?

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Did you rarely change air filter?

• Did you regularly drive in city stop & go traffic?

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Did you regularly drive on hwys over 70MPH/ 110KM/hr?

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Was LHM caused by EGR Valve failure ?

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Was LHM caused by Turbo Resonator failure?

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Was LHM caused by Fuel Injector failure?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Was LHM caused by other Electrical component failure?

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Was LHM caused by Hose failure?

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Was LHM caused by Turbo pump failure?

• Did you regularly change the oil with MB spec oils?

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Did you regularly change the fuel, oil and air filters?

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Did you normally drive moderately and smoothly?

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • OTHER CAUSE stated in comments/reply message.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I've never experienced the Limp Home Mode, or been stranded with engine failure and would like to research what your driving habits/conditions were before this happened to you. Please answer the poll questions in the hopes of finding a common cause/ similarity. Were you driving mostly city stop&go or Hwy, over or under 65MPH/100km/h, use Biodiesel mix or regular diesel, regularly change all filters or rarely, was it caused by EGR valve, turbo resonator, injector, filter or hose problems? Do you regularly idle over 1 minute or rarely. Please give a message reply if not in list of options given.

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
We have had 3 LHMs with our T1N on 3 different occasions.

1 Turbo resonator

2 Torn boost hose

3 Faulty camshaft position sensor

I could not elaborate on how this vehicle is driven since it has been driven by different employees and not me. My guess is pedal to the metal :smirk:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
One LHM on 08 with about 20,000 miles. Currently have about 23,000 miles.

Occurred on highway after traveling at 65-70 mph for previous two hours without stopping. Was in mildly hilly terrain. Drove for another 45 minutes in some form of LHM, shut off engine for about an hour and when restarted it had cleared. Dealer replaced EGR valve under warranty. Just when I start thinking it is a pretty nice vehicle it quits again.

I sometimes add one gallon of 99% biodiesel when filling an empty tank for 5%.

Hard to feel you have a reliable vehicle when mother computer is always lurking in the shadows to shut you down.

I had to have it towed to a dealer at about 10,000 miles due to a loose clamp on the air intake hose. Minor problem that required the engine to draw some air from the engine compartment in addition to the normal route. Very stupid programming to strand me when no damage would have occurred. Not enough power to drive it up on flatbead wrecker.

The major drawback of these vehicles is the inept electrical engineer who designed the system. Sometimes I feel that they are paying us back for winning World War 2.

I checked "Other".

Only experienced LHM one time in over 40,000 miles of ownership. (knocking wood furiously!!! :doh: ) I changed my serpentine belt. I made a diagram of the routing so I'd know how to put it back on properly 'cause I'm no dummy. :thumbup: Installed the belt, didn't really like the way it was riding on the sheaves (pulleys), took a short test drive, went into LHM on the way back. Double-checked and found I had installed the belt incorrectly in spite of my diagram.:bash::bash::bash: Surprisingly it did work for that short test drive. :idunno:

I blame the improper routing on my dyslexia evils of drink parents 60's drugs all the above stupidity. vic

asodergren

My resonator let go within 90 minutes and 100 miles after purchasing the van with 51K miles. I have no idea how it was used before I got it.

blessedmomof8

We bought the van with 65k miles on our 2005 158" 2500 SHC. Within 5k miles we had to limp home because the large CAC hose to the manifold busted out. Within 200 miles of fixing that hose we had another LHM because the turbo to intercooler hose had a tear in it where the clamped end was at the intercooler. At that time I replaced the turbo resonator with the aluminum one as well as putting in a new fuel filter. The air filter, oil and oil filter were changed before we took possession of her in June '10.

I drive in the city with a bit of stop and go, but most of her miles are on the highway. I know that the previous owner used the van to ferry his show dogs from one show to another, so he probably used it much the same.

Top Bottom