View Full Version : Turn signals --- I give up, have met my match

barryt
10-08-2010, 05:16 PM

replaced fuse block and multifunction switch checked all bulbs, swapped relay

4-ways work fine

Help!!! :frown:

Aqua Puttana
10-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Here is some info that may help. The fact that the 4 - ways work should help to eliminate some possibilities. Good luck. vic

barryt
10-08-2010, 09:47 PM
A long hard day of going over these :yell: wiring diagrams. I finally found the problem the used multifunction switch has a bad contact in it. another switch will be ordered.

200,000 + miles

pete104
10-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Anybody have experience with correcting problems with turn signal flasher control?
I have been pulling a cargo trailer, and have been having trouble with the right hand turn signals. The right front on my Navion and right rear on the trailer will flash, but the right rear on the coach wont flash. I have checked the right rear bulbs and find them OK - for example, the right rear brake light is working. However, when I switch the right turn signal on the accompanying sound is being made at about twice the rate of the normal sound and as I mentioned there is no blinking turn signal light on the right rear. Long ago, with the earlier generation of automobiles I remember changing a small solenoid that controlled the turn signals, but with my Navion, I dont know what is the comparable part. I imaging it could be one of the items in the compartment down at the side of the drivers seat, but dont really know.

Pete104

Oak Harbor, WA

'06 Navion type J

Here is some info that may help. The fact that the 4 - ways work should help to eliminate some possibilities. Good luck. vic

Aqua Puttana
10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Pete,
To the best of my knowledge there is no plug in "flasher unit" as many vehicles have.

From the diagram above:

"The activation of the turn signal relay and the flashing of the lights is controlled by the Timer Module in Fuse Block #1."

The "quick flash" is generally an indication of a lamp being bad as you say.

Some questions:

* Does the Sprinter turn signal work when the trailer isn't connected?

* Do all the Sprinter amber lights flash when you use the four way emergency warning flasher?

Comments:
* The Sprinter brake lamp (red) and turn signal lamp (amber) are separate lamps. The trailer wiring module(s) convert the signal to a dual purpose unit for the typical trailer lights.

* Have you closely checked all the fuses under the steering column and under the driver seat? MB designers are somewhat fuse happy so it could just be a fuse.

* Your problems may be related to the trailer wiring system which can include module(s), relay(s), wire harness, etc.

vic
Anybody have experience with correcting problems with turn signal flasher control?
I have been pulling a cargo trailer, and have been having trouble with the right hand turn signals. The right front on my Navion and right rear on the trailer will flash, but the right rear on the coach wont flash. I have checked the right rear bulbs and find them OK - for example, the right rear brake light is working. However, when I switch the right turn signal on the accompanying sound is being made at about twice the rate of the normal sound and as I mentioned there is no blinking turn signal light on the right rear. Long ago, with the earlier generation of automobiles I remember changing a small solenoid that controlled the turn signals, but with my Navion, I dont know what is the comparable part. I imaging it could be one of the items in the compartment down at the side of the drivers seat, but dont really know.

Pete104

Oak Harbor, WA

'06 Navion type J

pete104
10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello Puttana, thanks so much for your early reply. I will check into the points you have brought up. All along, I have been hoping it is "just" a fuse, but so far I haven't been able to prove that one way or the other. To the best of my knowledge so far, I seem to have the problem both with and without the trailer. I have checked the lamp bulb from the right rear and all filiments seem to be good and working in all other modes, but not in the right turn mode. I will check again some of the points you have mentioned and will probably have a new question. Thanks again, Pete104

Pete,
To the best of my knowledge there is no plug in "flasher unit" as many vehicles have.

From the diagram above:

"The activation of the turn signal relay and the flashing of the lights is controlled by the Timer Module in Fuse Block #1."

The "quick flash" is generally an indication of a lamp being bad as you say.

Some questions:

* Does the Sprinter turn signal work when the trailer isn't connected?

* Do all the Sprinter amber lights flash when you use the four way emergency warning flasher?

Comments:
* The Sprinter brake lamp (red) and turn signal lamp (amber) are separate lamps. The trailer wiring module(s) convert the signal to a dual purpose unit for the typical trailer lights.

* Have you closely checked all the fuses under the steering column and under the driver seat? MB designers are somewhat fuse happy so it could just be a fuse.

* Your problems may be related to the trailer wiring system which can include module(s), relay(s), wire harness, etc.

vic

sailquik
10-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi pete104;
"Anybody have experience with correcting problems with turn signal flasher control?"
I think you Navion has a plastic rear section, right?
I'd check the ground to the RH rear turn signal.
Also, did your RV have the factory installed towing harness, or did you add it later?
If added, who ever did the work may have compromised the wiring to the RH Rear
brake/turn signal.
Also, check the diode block that converts your RV lights to a single bulb setup on
your trailer.
Hope this helps,
Roger