PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sprinter, rear end noise

Pepperalbert
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Guys; Does anybody notice or have a rear end howl at 50 mph. Not there at slower or faster speed, is it normal? I would like some input before I head to dealer.
Thanks

piper1
10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Don't know what variant of NCV3 you have, but there are problems with driveshaft hanger/carrier bearings on many, with updated parts available under warranty. When this bearing fails it can produce all kinds of groovy noises.

Chandlerazman
10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a dually, and yes, it howls at around 45-50 MPH. Dealer says it's normal. Hasn't changed at all in the 31,000 miles I've owned it from new. My Adrian Steel partition with lexan windows over the vent holes quiets it down dramatically. The cargo area is carpeted with commercial grade stuff which helps too.

Altered Sprinter
10-08-2010, 03:07 PM
A good explanation is it tends to indicate an axle bearing going. not always but acceptable on some models haeding for the 200 hundred thousand mile mark.
both Tin and NCV drive shafts and differentials are as similar.
Richard

Pepperalbert
10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the information! It looks like a crawl under the van for drive-shaft inspection and general look around.

jdcaples
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
There's an article on SprinterWIS that indicates the 2009 drive shaft and center/carrier/hanger bearings are updated.

The newer bearings are not backwards compatible with 2007/2008 Sprinters.

See this thread for an attachment file that contains a copy of the document as an attachment.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9594

For a nominal subscription fee, you may see these for yourself at www.sprintertekinfo.com (Sprinter Work Shop Information System.

-Jon

hunghua
10-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi Guys; Does anybody notice or have a rear end howl at 50 mph. Not there at slower or faster speed, is it normal? I would like some input before I head to dealer.
Thanks

Hopefully, you don't have the problem I have. I have insulated my doors, used sound deadening material, dynamat in the front doors and was disappointed with the noise level in my van while on the freeway. Then one day I looked up at the top of my rear door and noticed that although the bottom of the door was flush and locked, the top was not quite closed all the way. There was no indicator light saying that the top had not closed all the way, but now if I make sure it's closed, by jumping up and pushing it first when on the driveway, my van is significantly quieter. I don't know if it's because of my conversion or because of the angle of my driveway, but now I am sure to look at the top latch to see if it is flush and completely closed. It makes a big difference in regards to interior noise levels.

Aqua Puttana
10-10-2010, 12:39 PM

I don't know if it's because of my conversion or because of the angle of my driveway, but now I am sure to look at the top latch to see if it is flush and completely closed. It makes a big difference in regards to interior noise levels.

I don't know if it applies to the NCV3, but I have noticed my T1N seems very flexy. There is a drain grate where I park at work. If my front left tire is down in that sump the back doors will actually bind and not want to close. (I avoid that now.) Your problem may very well be related to being a bit off level. FWIW. vic

cedarsanctum
10-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I have experienced times of difficult door closing on both back and side doors. If perfectly level, the side doors work great, easy to close, and stays still in the center of the track. If off level, none of that is true.
There is a lot of flex in these bodies, but they are light.

Mrdi
10-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Hung says:
"Then one day I looked up at the top of my rear door and noticed that although the bottom of the door was flush and locked, the top was not quite closed all the way."

My 2008 hi does the same. I must firmly close the rear door for the seals to
contact the upper door frame. Otherwise I have water enter as well as noise.

hamiltonmj
06-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a 2013 2 month old 3500 Airstream Interstate...it has a loud rear end noise when downshifting at 2700 rpm, normally about 65 mph...definitely from the rear end...is this normal that you are talking about? Can't sleep back there on hilly terrain because of the downshifting and loud noise.

sailquik
06-01-2013, 11:14 PM
hamiltonmj,
There should be virtually no "noise" from your rear differential when you downshift manually @ 2700 RPMs.
I do that all the time, and beyond a change in the engine sound when it increases the revs by ~500 RPM there
would be no noise, no jerk, nothing, just a smooth transition from less power in OVERDRIVE (0.83:1 in 5th gear)
to more power at + 500 RPMs in 4th gear (1:1 ratio through the transmission).
Are you doing the downshifting manually, or do you let the transmission do it for you?
Any idea what the % engine Load is when it downshifts? (I.E. Do you have a Scan Gauge II or similar so you monitor
your RV's power train performance?
Hope this helps,
Roger