Parallel Parking a 177" Std. Sprinter

TomH

I searched the archives and found an old thread related to parking, but it was mainly related to garage parking. We are interested in having Sportsmobile convert the 22' 9" Sprinter. We would probably go with parktronic and the rear camera. I know that parallel parking spaces vary in length from about 18' to about 28', with 25' being fairly typical. Usually, however, one can go a bit into the spaces in front of and behind while maneuvering. I am asking those of you who have actually parallel parked (or attempted it) with the 22' 9" Sprinter to tell how much success/difficulty you have had. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I test drove an extended 170" WB NCV3 while trying to decide between the 144" and the 170" versions.

I was not able to parallel park between traffic cones w/o Parktronic to warn me about the proximity of the cones.

I was able to avoid scuffing the tires against the curb using the lower, curved, wide-angle mirrors.

-Jon

d_bertko

My 02 158" lists at 10" shorter than that 177". I live in the third-densest city in the US without benefit of a driveway. Plenty of experience at parallel parking. Almost all metered spots are adequate for me if not encroached on too much by the adjacent cars. Unmetered parking is more happenstance---considerate people tend to use only what their vehicle needs in dense residential neighborhoods. So the spaces left when they pull out are more car-sized. But I doubt its a problem anywhere except a serious city neighborhood.

A correlated consideration is that urban parking lots are often less generously spaced than suburban ones. My 263" will fit into a single space but the amount of overhang into a typical aisle is not the preferred solution. I usually grab a small part of the opposite space or an out-of-traffic spot most of the time. A really tight parking lot aisle can make the 90 degree turn into the space a back-and-forth deal. My only regular problem lot is the very popular grocery that I've never seen less than 90% full.

The extra 10" would make this sort of urban combat considerably harder. Metered parallel parking anywhere might require some choice. But I think there are only a few dozen locales in this country where unmetered spaces are fought over hard enough to not let you park on the block of your choice. Residential blocks with even a few driveways on them yield a good sprinkling of easy access just-long-enough spaces.

The extra room of the larger Sprinter would be my choice if you weren't parking it tight each and every day. Lots of urban delivery trucks are longer and those guys manage a lot of stops somehow.

Dan

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I'm running the older style 140" van, but I can tell you I parallel park it nearly every day. For typical spots, I'm happy I don't have the longer version as the spaces are simply not big enough. I can and have shoe horned that bad boy in many a spot and I DO NOT "park by feel". If you are not good at this to begin with, you'll have a rough time. You should use, practice with the mirrors primarily. The camera is for beginners:tongue:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
What is a 177" Sprinter? Is this the overall length of the old 118" wheelbase version?

:popcorn:

:D:

jmattice

We have the long wheel base converted to a motor home.

The added length limits the number of spaces that will work, but the Sprinter has two advantages. First, it has a short turning radius for its length. Second, it is no wider than most cars.

We parallel park our frequently.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Not exactly parallel parking, but putting this 170" wheelbase in the driveway sideways is not very difficult. On-street storing of RV's is not welcome in most cities, so mine lives here when it's home. It's too long to park straight in, and this method allows me to get it almost level.
Of great help in doing these kinds of parking jobs is the power mirrors. Moving the right side mirror down so the tire and curb can be seen keeps from using the big round, black curb feelers that come with the van.
I have parallel parked this van a few times. It needs a large space to do it, but it can be done. With the bicycle or motorbike rack on back, it doesn't work.
Jef

Attachments

TomH

What is a 177" Sprinter? Is this the overall length of the old 118" wheelbase version?
OOps, I so apologize for my mistake. I meant to type 170" wheel base. After repeating the 4 on 144, my brain also repeated the 7, making 177 rather than 170. I am going :crazy: My bad.

Current Sprinters in the US (which do NOT include the short one in Europe) have a wheel base of 144" or 170". The 170" wheel base comes in a body length of either 22' 9" or of 24'. The 24 footer is referred to as extended body. I am referring to the 22' 9" model. Again, very sorry for the blunder.

:D:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
OOps, I so apologize for my mistake. I meant to type 170" wheel base. After repeating the 4 on 144, my brain also repeated the 7, making 177 rather than 170. I am going :crazy: My bad.

Current Sprinters in the US (which do NOT include the short one in Europe) have a wheel base of 144" or 170". The 170" wheel base comes in a body length of either 22' 9" or of 24'. The 24 footer is referred to as extended body. I am referring to the 22' 9" model. Again, very sorry for the blunder.
You are forgiven.

:hugs:

ebsprintin

surviving member
Is this a question about whether you can find the places that the van will fit in, or are you wondering about the maneuverability when you find a large enough space? I don't parallel park a lot, but I do find plenty of tight places requiring parallel parking maneuverability. If the space is large enough for the dimensions of the van then the van has the nimbleness to get into the space. Just keep an eye on the wide swing of the overhang.

eb

TomH

Is this a question about whether you can find the places that the van will fit in, or are you wondering about the maneuverability when you find a large enough space? ...
eb
You make a good point. It is about both. I know that when we take trips into cities, parking in high rise garages will be out; that leaves metered street parking, and occasionally private lots. I am trying to determine whether the 22' 9" Sprinter will be parkable in typical city parallel spots. Obviously, different cities have different size spaces. Considering both the size of spaces, and the vehicle's abilities, I am asking in general, how successful (if at all) have you been able to parallel park in metered, lined spaces? I guess I should also ask whether onc can put money in two adjacent maters and use two spaces; I always assumed one would be ticketed or towed for doing that.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
You make a good point. It is about both. I know that when we take trips into cities, parking in high rise garages will be out; that leaves metered street parking, and occasionally private lots. I am trying to determine whether the 22' 9" Sprinter will be parkable in typical city parallel spots. Obviously, different cities have different size spaces. Considering both the size of spaces, and the vehicle's abilities, I am asking in general, how successful (if at all) have you been able to parallel park in metered, lined spaces? I guess I should also ask whether onc can put money in two adjacent maters and use two spaces; I always assumed one would be ticketed or towed for doing that.
I have 170" EXT. I always need 2 meters. I always put coins in both. In my town, and after asking a few maids, they will not tow if you use two meters but most will ticket if you only use one meter (one gentleman said he lets it go, BUT he shouldn't).

TomH

I have 170" EXT. I always need 2 meters. I always put coins in both. In my town, and after asking a few maids, they will not tow if you use two meters but most will ticket if you only use one meter (one gentleman said he lets it go, BUT he shouldn't).
Are you in Vancouver, or in a suburb? How much longer is your 170" Ext. than the marked space? Do you let your Sprinter extend just a bit into the second space, or do you park such that half of the vehicle is in each space with the line transecting the van?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Are you in Vancouver, or in a suburb? How much longer is your 170" Ext. than the marked space? Do you let your Sprinter extend just a bit into the second space, or do you park such that half of the vehicle is in each space with the line transecting the van?
I was 24' 1/2" stock(15" longer than a REG 170"), but now I'm about 25' with the rear door tire/carrier. I park right smack in the middle of the 2 spots, to keep the motocycles and Smart(ass) cars from being idots.

I'm on the West Side of Vancouver.

Last edited:
It can be done, here is my 170" in Key West. You do need to practice with the beast, I don't have a camera yet. Just one of the little sacrifices we make for driving our toys. Use the electric mirrors to help you see where you are going. Also very useful for backing trailers.

Attachments

david_42

Maybe things are different out here, but I am rarely able to find an urban parallel spot long enough to maneuver into, even with a 140" van. Most of the time, the spots aren't long enough period. I need two spaces to maneuver and often end up hanging over at both ends.

TomH

Maybe things are different out here, but I am rarely able to find an urban parallel spot long enough to maneuver into, even with a 140" van. Most of the time, the spots aren't long enough period. I need two spaces to maneuver and often end up hanging over at both ends.
Hmmmmm....,:thinking: If that's the case, maybe I should think about just going ahead with the 170" Extended. I had been thinking the 170" Std. might barely fit in most spots, while the Ext. would be barely too long. If the Std. won't fit, I'd just as well get the extra 15". I think I need to take a tape measure into town and just go around taking measurements all over the place. :hmmm:

kendall69

It's all about patience. You may have to circle a few extra times till you get the "end of the street" spot so you do not have to parallel park.
I never parallel park because the times I have attempted it I soon become entertainment for everyone on the side walk. They all stop what they are doing and grab the nearest seat, open some popcorn and watch me attempt to park the Titanic in the space designed for a VW.

I have never not been able to park the beast in cities or traveling but I am also not the one that choses the spot. The spot chooses me. If you go to popular areas get there early or late and you'll be fine.

Diamondsea

This brings up the issue as to how long are the spaces? I have a 144 inch wheelbase and live in a rural area. Many folks have pickup trucks that are as long as a 144 Sprinter (19.5 feet) and spaces in the towns seem to be longer than those in the more urban areas. How are standards set? Locally? By the State? Interesting!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How are standards set? Locally? By the State? Interesting!
Google on "size of parking spaces" and you'll get LOTS of answers(*)

For example:"The MUTCD (Manual on Uniform traffic control devices) which is the national wide standard states the a parking space minimum is 8'x22' and 8'x20' for compact vehicles except on the ends. The end spaces in a line may be as short as 18'. "

I've certainly seen "compact" spaces that were 16' long.

Some of the hits included the regulations for the town of Franklin, Massachusetts, which specified: "not be less than nine (9) feet in width and nineteen (19) feet in length." ... which is shorter (but wider) than MUTCD.

Parallel parking spaces can be up to 25 feet long, if the munincipality isn't striving for curbside entertainment.

City of Menlo Park's specifications: http://www.menlopark.org/departments/trn/park_guide.pdf

Wkikpedia even has an article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_space

--dick
(*) parking lots, get it?

Last edited:

Top Bottom