PDA

View Full Version : low pressure oil pump for 03

jacfrost
10-06-2010, 01:22 AM
I am looking for a low pressure oil pump for my 03 2500. Anyone have one or know a place to order? The local dealer wants $500. My mechanic can't seem to get any pressure reading out of it and van quits running randomly.

sailquik
10-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Hi Jac,
Are you looking for the low pressure fuel pump?
Not sure, but I do not think 02/03 Sprinters have a low pressure fuel supply pump in the tank.
They draw fuel directly/all the way from the tank to the high pressure fuel pump on the front of the engine (OM-612).
The later 04-06 OM-647 Sprinters have an electric supply pump (75-85-PSI) in the tank to keep the
high pressure pump (5,000-22,000 PSI) supplied with fuel.
If you are talking about the engine oil pump, there is no high/low, and it's clear inside the oil pan.
Hope this helps,
Roger

I am looking for a low pressure oil pump for my 03 2500. Anyone have one or know a place to order? The local dealer wants $500. My mechanic can't seem to get any pressure reading out of it and van quits running randomly.

Aqua Puttana
10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh.... fuel pump? Thanks for the heads up Roger.

The fuel pumps on the OM612 engine are generally fairly robust (to loosely quote Doktor A). Because the pump sucks fuel from the tank it is not uncommon for the pump to lose their prime. I would have the "suck" part of the system carefully checked before condemning the fuel pump.

Doktor A in Pittsburgh PA area supplies rebuilt pumps.

Some links about fuel pumps on your engine.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11101&highlight=fuel+pump+bubbles

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12798&highlight=fuel+pump+bubbles

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12707&highlight=fuel+pump+bubbles

Good luck. vic

sailquik
10-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Hi Jac,
"I am looking for a low pressure oil pump for my 03 2500." The local dealer wants $500. My mechanic can't seem to get any pressure reading out of it and van quits running randomly.
If your dealer will change the engine's main oil pump for $500 that's probably not a bad price.
The delaer would have to remove the oil pan, strainers, remove the pump, clean everything up, install the new pump and replace the oil pan and gaskets.
If your lubricating oil pump is not putting out any pressure, the engine would most likely sieze up or throw a rod very quickly so I'm guessing
you might be talking about the low pressure fuel pump, which does not exist in an '03 Sprinter with the OM-612 engine.
Dr. A (Andy Bittenbinder) rebuilds ON-612 high pressure pumps to better than the original factory specifications.
He can send you a Dr. A rebuilt high pressue fuel pump and will give you a core charge back if you send in the core (your old pump) and it's rebuildable.
Sprinter Hot line to Dr. A (412) 366-6165.
In the event that what you really need is a lubricating oil pump, I'm sure Dr. A has lot's of experience with them as well and can
provide the very best possible advice on where to get one, how much it should cost, why it failed.
Hope this helps,
Roger