PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow

KimolosMike
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
If my custom divider wall creates a near airtight seal between front and back, will this interfere with cabin air flow up the front? Where does the cabin air normally exit?
Apart from the divider being a safety barrier, I'm hoping to make it an acoustic barrier, hence the need to be airtight. This seems simpler and cheaper than the dramas others have had trying to sound proof the entire box.
Did a 200 mile trip the other day with all the wall panels stripped out of the back and the noise was incredible.
Mike

piper1
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
If you seal it off 100 % the air has nowhere to escape (tried it, it didn't work). I left a few small gaps here and there in mine and that worked OK, I did install a Flettner vent in the roof (there is a raised spot for it in the roof panel) and it pulls out so much air I can run down the road without running the HVAC fan. If you had a 3 inch round hole in your divider and ducted it a bit it would flow the air but help isolate the noise.

flman
10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae67/flman2001/Sprinter/IMAG0177.jpg

I had to cut some slits in this to vent to the vents that are near the ends of the rear bumper. All is fine now.

d_bertko
10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I think the cab area of the Sprinter is the source of much of the road noise. Most, not all, of the noise from the cargo area got suppressed when I thermal foamed the walls. The remaining road noise from the front is substantial. Front tire noise, wind noise from the door seals, engine clatter all require a lot of attenuation if you hope for anything car-like. I doubt if its worth acoustically sealing the cargo divider unless you did all the other work.