PDA

View Full Version : ABS and ESR lights on

Horizon3500
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2006 3500 158" high roof with 210,000 miles. The abs and esr lights are on intermittently. I have accomplished the usual things like change the light bulbs, chang the brake light switch. The lights some times are on when the engine is started, once the van is moving the lights go out and when the van hits 55 mph the lights come back on and stay on, somes times the lights are off when the engine is started and stay off and sometimes the lights are on and stay on. I brought the van to a dodge dealer to have the abs codes read and all they could tell me was the abs pump needed to be replaced, but could not tell me the codes. I have read other forums where people had the same problem and had the abs pump replaced only to have it not fix the problem. After the dealership, I did verify that the wiring was correct and pump module had the correct power and grounds, i did ring through to the wheel sensors and came up with around 1800 ohms, I dont know if that is the correct resistance for the wheel sensors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Horizon 3500

mtl
10-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Im in the same boat with a 2005 3500. Mine makes a
sound as if the ABS is kicking in when I brake right after starting it up.

Once the 2 lamps come on after about 1/2 a mile the brakes feel
great, no codes get kicked off by the ECU so I havent been able to
try and diagnose at all...

tom_LTMS
10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi Horizon 3500

I had a similar problem with the abs asr system in my 2001 314 Sprinter T1N (euro) with similar miles (215k). I had it diagnosed and after some hope it was just a wheel sensor it turned out to be the abs pump motor. The part cost here in the uk is around the 1200 -1300 mark + fitting.

I found it possible with special tools to remove the motor body with the abs pump still mounted in the vehicle (which leaves the motor innards still installed in the pump) and found it was badly contaminated with magnetic fillings from the electric motors permanent magnets, I cleaned the electric motor out as best I could with compressed air and clean rags. All was well and all functioned correctly for around 1000 miles and then the fault reoccurred. I cleaned it again a few times but always with the same temporary results, though with only minimal re-contamination. The smallest speck of metal material will cause it to fault. The fault lights came on in mine when the magnetic fillings electrical grounded the rotating components to the fixed casing or so it seemed to me, I could go long distances on the days when the lights where out with no fault lights with gentle driving but if I hit a bump or went round a corner reasonably fast then they would shift and bring the light on. :bash:

I put it down to wear in the abs pump motor and replaced the unit.
I am not saying this is what is wrong with yours but the symptoms sound familiar. Good luck sorting it out.

Horizon3500
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Tom,

Thank you for your input, I will disassemble the pump and take a look, if I see what you discribe then I'll replace the pump, I just dont want to throw parts at the problem.

Thank You!

Horizon 3500:cheers:

scubanw3
10-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Have you checked the wheel speed sensors, the tone rings and the sensor to ring gap? They may be covered with crust, crud and corrosion and the sensor gap may need reset. This condition will have intermittent ESP/ABS lights and brake pedal pulsation. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

lentzkow2
10-08-2010, 03:19 AM
im having a similar problem it seems like 5-8 minutes into my day the abs, wheel(()), and esp light come on and it seems like its when i hit a bump, the smoother the road the longer it takes. i have checked my lights and my wiring seems to be intact.

gottahavabenz
10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Lentzkow

Look at the thread John (scubanw3) wrote "Have you checked the wheel speed sensors, the tone rings and the sensor to ring gap? They may be covered with crust, crud and corrosion and the sensor gap may need reset. This condition will have intermittent ESP/ABS lights and brake pedal pulsation. Hope this helps."
Sounds like a good place for you to start. I had a similar problem after changing my front ball joints, I had to pound them out so hard it shifted the position of my sensor back like an 1/8th inch with just the vibration of hitting the ball joint and that lead to funky braking noises and abs surges!