PDA

View Full Version : Xenophobic registration process

pugwonk
10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
How do - just registered today - my dad owns one of the Mercedes Westfalia things in the UK, and the wife and I were thinking of buying something similar here in the US. I'm not American, and so I had a terrible time with finding all the state capitals for the supposedly easy spambot verification question. C'mon, can you at least use the same one each time? I must have Google for the darned things eight times whilst trying to get a username that wasn't taken... :)

Chris

Aqua Puttana
10-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Chris,
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. (If you've never watched the movie Blazing Saddles you now may have a reason to view it.)

When I registered they didn't didn't have that sh*t or I probably would never have been allowed to join. I'd be Googling for that info and I was born here.:bash:

Have fun. vic
How do - just registered today - my dad owns one of the Mercedes Westfalia things in the UK, and the wife and I were thinking of buying something similar here in the US. I'm not American, and so I had a terrible time with finding all the state capitals for the supposedly easy spambot verification question. C'mon, can you at least use the same one each time? I must have Google for the darned things eight times whilst trying to get a username that wasn't taken... :)

Chris

Altered Sprinter
10-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Chris,
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. (If you've never watched the movie Blazing Saddles you now may have a reason to view it.)

When I registered they didn't didn't have that sh*t or I probably would never have been allowed to join. I'd be Googling for that info and I was born here.:bash:

Have fun. vic
Lets revised the current situation.
YouTube - Blaze Saddle - CAMPFIRE SCENE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpB3ME_Xem0)
Only knock on Barbed wire before entering.

TomH
10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Ha,

I don't remember for which state the program asked the capitol, but the server told me I entered the wrong city. I went on Google, looked it up, and I was right-the server was wrong. The same thing happened the second time. My answer was accepted on the third attempt. Either the server is making mistakes, or the person who programmed it entered incorrect answer. Perhaps the thing is more than xenophobic, maybe it's also jingoistic.

jdcaples
10-05-2010, 03:17 AM
What are the requirements to register on Sprinter-Source now?

Are we asking someone - say in.... I don't know.... Singapore? - to name the Capitol City of the State of Wisconsin, USA?

I doubt 4 in 15 Americans could name the Capitol of Seychelles w/o looking it up.

-Jon

sikwan
10-05-2010, 03:30 AM
This was implemented when we had an onslaught of registration bots that figured out the image verification and infiltrated the forum with spam. I would say it was about 2 years ago.

I looked up the spam settings and...

The state capitol of North Dakota is...:bismarck
The state capitol of Hawaii is...:honolulu
The state capitol of Nebraska is...:nashville
The state capitol of North Carolina is...:raleigh

...I guess I messed up one item. :lol: How embarrassing! I remember wanting to change Nebraska...:lincoln to Tennessee...:nashville, but I forgot to change the Nebraska to Tennessee.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go dumb down the questions. :smilewink:

pugwonk
10-05-2010, 04:05 AM
This was implemented when we had an onslaught of registration bots that figured out the image verification and infiltrated the forum with spam. I would say it was about 2 years ago.

I looked up the spam settings and...

The state capitol of North Dakota is...:bismarck
The state capitol of Hawaii is...:honolulu
The state capitol of Nebraska is...:nashville
The state capitol of North Carolina is...:raleigh

...I guess I messed up one item. :lol: How embarrassing! I remember wanting to change Nebraska...:lincoln to Tennessee...:nashville, but I forgot to change the Nebraska to Tennessee.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go dumb down the questions. :smilewink:

Ahah! Thank you very much! Of course, you've also very ably demonstrated that I didn't look up eight state capitals (although I must admit I think I got asked all those four!).

I will post something more worthwhile shortly, I'm sure...

Chris

sikwan
10-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Funny thing is when I dumb down the questions to say like 3 + 3 equals..., I got two spam bots sign up. These spam bots are programmed to answer generic questions, so I may have to use something else.

pugwonk
10-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Funny thing is when I dumb down the questions to say like 3 + 3 equals..., I got two spam bots sign up. These spam bots are programmed to answer generic questions, so I may have to use something else.

I suggest "A sprinter is a type of..." :)

Chris

sikwan
10-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Well forget about it. Ever since I changed it to the easy way, we've had an additional 5 spam bots sign up.

Type "t1n" in the box below.
Type "ncv3" in the box below.
Type "sprintervan" in the box below.

None of the above slowed them down. We'll use the xenophobic way of registration. :smirk: Just google your answer. I don't think it's that hard to do.

bc339
10-09-2010, 02:43 PM
What are the requirements to register on Sprinter-Source now?

Are we asking someone - say in.... I don't know.... Singapore? - to name the Capitol City of the State of Wisconsin, USA?

I doubt 4 in 15 Americans could name the Capitol of Seychelles w/o looking it up.

-Jon

It's Victoria, on Mahe' Island. One of the most beautifull places you should visit.
Bruce

autostaretx
10-09-2010, 10:34 PM
when I dumb down the questions to say like 3 + 3 equals..., I got two spam bots sign up.
Many "spambot" account-grabbers are people, employed to break in to mildly-defended systems.
Yes, it's certainly true that there are automated "Captcha" (the distorted letters image) -breakers, but some spammers simply rely upon cheap labor.

--dick