PDA

View Full Version : Question about Turbo Resonator

Old Crows
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I have a spanking new 2009/2010 FourWinds Ventura based on the 170" Dodge Sprinter. OK, its a Benz by another name.... I has the V-6 OM-642 turbo diesel.

After reading in several forums about the problems with the turbo resonator, I have a couple questions. The thought of suddenly going to 'limp mode' due to a blown up TR while on a busy highway or hill is un-nerving. Worse.... needing a tow and trying to find a repair facility... very worrisome.

Does the OM-642 engine have the problematic turbo resonator?

If so, has MB redesigned it to be more reliable than earlier versions?

It would seem that a TR failure and loss of power would be a recall/campaign item. Has MB started a campaign to replace the affected TRs with an improved device?

Cheers! :cheers:

flman
10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
It is a totally different engine, with a totally different resonator. I had one fail on my T1N when it was new, at 80K it is still OK. LHM is not the end of the world, put on the four ways, turn off the key and restart the van for a few minutes of normal power, if you need to enter a highway , just be sure to get it fixed ASAP.

jdcaples
10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
As flman indicated, the turbo resonator on the v6, 3.0 Litre OM642.993 engine is robust.

These threads document the intercooler hoses that have a failed for some - but not all - members.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2848

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6616

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11445

My advice is to try not to borrow too much trouble from the future.

I replaced the hose on the left side of the engine; and by "left" I mean the left side on of the engine from the perspective laying on your back, your head under the radiator and your feet forward from the vehicle.

-Jon

Old Crows
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I am so relieved! Thanks guys!

JD.... I think you mean the "port' side or driver's side. :smirk:

jdcaples
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I am so relieved! Thanks guys!

JD.... I think you mean the "port' side or driver's side. :smirk:

Yeah, I mean "port" not "starboard" side. :)

Specifically, the lower non-coolant hose under the front, "off the port bow."

-Jon

Aqua Puttana
10-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I mean "port" not "starboard" side. :)

-Jon

I read somewhere once that the "not starboard side" was once called "larboard". The story was that there was so much confusion between 'starboard" and "larboard" in noisey situations (stormy conditions or battle under sail... the ultimate match race by the way) that it was changed to "port" and "starboard" to avoid confusion. I don't know if the explanation is true, but it sounded interesting. FWIW. vic

Old Crows
10-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I read somewhere once that the "not starboard side" was once called "larboard". The story was that there was so much confusion between 'starboard" and "larboard" in noisey situations (stormy conditions or battle under sail... the ultimate match race by the way) that it was changed to "port" and "starboard" to avoid confusion. I don't know if the explanation is true, but it sounded interesting. FWIW. vic

That's probably right. I like POSH..... taken from the days of going by ship from England to India. Once you got into the Indian Ocean the sun and temperatures would be brutal. So you wanted to travel Port Out.... Starboard Home to stay in the shade. PO SH. Now meaning up scale.