PDA

View Full Version : rear axle jolt?

Narcis Dragomir
09-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi,

I am finding more and more this forum extremely helpful. On my 06 T1N I am experiencing some kind of a jolt or shock from the rear axle when I take off from a stop sign or stop light, I mean any full stop. If I let the van roll on its own and then step on the gas I feel it, but if I hit the gas right after releasing the brake pedal there is no jolt. There is no noise, no drive shaft noise. It happens always after driving a few miles. Would it be a differential issue? Any of you experiencing something similar? Brakes are fine. Transmission is fine. No DAD codes on the transmission or engine. I have a C113A code from ABS but can't find the meaning of it in the book. Thank you,

narcis

mean_in_green
09-26-2010, 06:54 AM
May or may not be your experience but there is a known "design feature" where the driveline makes a clanking noise at low speeds, noticeable when alternating between forward and reverse gears. It is just an audible effect though, not an actual jolt as such.

Altered Sprinter
09-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Simon is 100% dead accurate The said clunk is an engagement between the gearing at positive lock, as all differentials have as what is commonly called outside of USA as, back lash.
If you roll back slightly on an incline prior to engaging gear this is a common phenomenon.
It can also occur on forward movement at a slight incline, noticeable on manuals, more than automatics. drop the clutch and it will go bang.
However it does not always occur as to timing of gear or clutch being let go.
Equally do not confuse the clunk on engagement between the the tail shaft to the differential engaging, as to a rear differential bearing either worn out, faulty! As there is a noticeable harmonic resonance carried back through the tails shaft at varying rpm.
Many think it's a carrier bearing and the forum has proven over the years to not be the principle cause.
Richard

maxextz
09-26-2010, 12:32 PM
yep mine also gives a ping sound while doing this its normal.:hmmm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

talkinghorse43
09-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I am finding more and more this forum extremely helpful. On my 06 T1N I am experiencing some kind of a jolt or shock from the rear axle when I take off from a stop sign or stop light, I mean any full stop. If I let the van roll on its own and then step on the gas I feel it, but if I hit the gas right after releasing the brake pedal there is no jolt. There is no noise, no drive shaft noise. It happens always after driving a few miles. Would it be a differential issue? Any of you experiencing something similar? Brakes are fine. Transmission is fine. No DAD codes on the transmission or engine. I have a C113A code from ABS but can't find the meaning of it in the book. Thank you,

narcis

I feel something like that on my '02 which I have associated with fuel hitting the ends of the tank. I feel it in the seat of my pants, but don't hear anything.

Altered Sprinter
09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
TIN: Prop there are five identifiable causes.
Name them ??????

YouTube - Mercedes Sprinter - Prop Shaft Noise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhukq8_WDA8&feature=related)
Richard

maxextz
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
1:its making noise look for steel balls on the ground.
2:its faulty
3:worn bearings
4:knackered bearing support
5:seal on diff bearing housing worn and water entering causing rusting bearing casing and bearing failure.

Altered Sprinter
09-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Max revise your thoughts and your close, but you missed the concept of the thread.
I'll give you a hint Center bearing carriers are usually the first point of interest to direct blame at, yet it mostly does not resolve the problem.
Look at all of the threads the same complaint comes back.
reliance on codes is an absolute joke no one else uses this as a cause as to a remedy,for guidance.
PS There are actually six and the sixth one can be the one where mechanics and techs don't get it right first off.
Second hint:Bearing damage on a differential is a manual test, as to back lash. two different results can be achieved...
Third: Hint Gear box bearing at end of yolk is it the bearing or the seal?
Fourth hint: The actually drive shaft is it calibrated true, if the bearing is not at fault then look at rear drive shaft L plated locking nut tabs closely..
That will give you something to think about that mechanics and techs don't think of today as to they need a dam computer to tell therm how to fix them.:bash: 5 and sixth are independently due to the abnormal non maintenance normally caused by a novice who does not follow the correct procedure where doing regular maintenance at this point there a four more bearings to consider.
Richard

mendonsy
09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
You may want to read through this thread:
Driveshaft universal joint considerations (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11081)

Narcis Dragomir
09-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi,

thank you all. I am sure that it is not the drive shaft or any bearings. I worked on those many times and know it. The fuel in the tank hitting the the end wall sounds more reasonable. Any damages drive shaft or differential would make certain noises under certain circumstances. But on mine there is no noise. Not even when I change gears from drive to reverse. At least I am not the only one experiencing this. We might find the cause and the cure somehow. thanks again,

narcis

maxextz
09-26-2010, 05:47 PM
if your tank is 3/4 to full you hear the diesel hitting the walls of the fuel tank but its no harm.some tanks have dividers built into them for safety reasons but our tanks seem to be open with the result of sloshing fluid.

glenview265
12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I have just noticed this noise in my sprinter , it is exactly as described by Mean in Green in his post. I fixed the noise by tightening my rear wheel studs. None were loose but the right rear was able to be nipped up slightly. No more noises since. New tyres were recently fitted so that must have been where the issue began.