PDA

View Full Version : Basic Maintenance Questions

Electrician
09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your time. I tried the search function, and couldn't find any clear answers.

Where can/should I buy parts: fuel/air/oil filters. Dealer only? Napa? Online is OK with me.

What are my options for engine oil?

Where can I buy a service/repair manual?

I'm in Washington State, USA. I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500, with about 35k on it. Iv'e owned it since new. Dealer has done previous service. I just can't stomach $250 oil changes anymore.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

flman
09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
http://store.europarts-sd.com/?ref=europarts

They got everything, and fast shipping :thumbup:

BTW, Welcome to the forum tradesman, we do HVAC/R.

autostaretx
09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Read Jon Caples' posts about technical documentation.

You can buy from www.techauthority.com a Service Manual CD for your model year.
It's their part number 81-370-08070CD "2008 Dodge Sprinter Service Information CD (English) "
$199.95 list price
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemID=1465

good luck
--dick

jdcaples
09-26-2010, 12:59 AM
+1 on www.europarts-sd.com for supplies.

That having been said, you can get all your supplies at MB of Lynnwood if you want to shop local. The cost of buying oil and filters at MB of Lynnwood is cheaper than Town & Country Dodge/Chrysler Jeep on Aurora.

-Jon

Chandlerazman
09-26-2010, 04:43 AM
I couldn't stomach the expensive oil changes either, so I upped my service call prices along with job estimates :smilewink:

flman
09-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I couldn't stomach the expensive oil changes either, so I upped my service call prices along with job estimates :smilewink:

Agreed, but I am not one for taking time out of my day to drive to a dealer, sitting in a waiting room, twiddling my thumbs. I can do the oil change in 1/4 of that time, and save money to boot :cheers:

Electrician
09-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

I don't mind working on my own vehicle. Going to the local dealerships for basic maintenance seems not only overly pricey, but takes a half day or more of my time. I could be out making money, or riding my bike. Two things I'd rather be doing.

I really appreciate this resource. Thanks again!

jdcaples
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
This might be helpful too:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78460&postcount=2

I think I'm the only NCV3 owner both on this form that both lives in Seattle and owns StarMOBILE.

The few gotchas are documented in NCV3 Write Ups. Feel free to send an email if you're a few days from one of the basic maint items and have any questions.

-Jon

ironman69
09-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks for your time. I tried the search function, and couldn't find any clear answers.

Where can/should I buy parts: fuel/air/oil filters. Dealer only? Napa? Online is OK with me.

What are my options for engine oil?

Where can I buy a service/repair manual?

I'm in Washington State, USA. I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500, with about 35k on it. Iv'e owned it since new. Dealer has done previous service. I just can't stomach $250 oil changes anymore.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

250$ oil changes?? Thats cheap at the deal. I have a 2008 3500 Sprinter and if (I don't) go to the dealer. It will cost over 500$ for a oil and fuel filter change. :bash:

Altered Sprinter
09-30-2010, 04:24 AM
your high charge for an oil and filter change, includes servicing as to inspections. Labor costs attribute to the overall servicing end cost $$$$$ schedule.
Richard

jdcaples
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
your high charge for an oil and filter change, includes servicing as to inspections. Labor costs attribute to the overall servicing end cost $$$$$ schedule.
Richard

Sprinter inspections at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership? I've seen invoices from Town & Country for Sprinter oil changes. No inspection's cited. You get new oil, a new filter and ASSYST reset.

My experience (while waiting for my Sprinter to come back from the H44 recall work): Sprinter owners pay more than $250 if they demand the inspections outlined in the owners manual along with the oil and oil filter change.

-Jon

PS: The original poster and I are both in Seattle. He nearly has to be talking about Town & Country on Aurora/SR 99.

Electrician
10-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Just completed my first oil and full filter change. Bought the full engine filter kit from Euro Parts, and their Mobil Oil for about $240 shipped. Everything went well(I did have an issue getting the large o ring seated on the oil filter, I did figure out what my problem was though). Should be about an hour for a oil change and the fuel/air filters next time.

I read about the concerns with standard fuel line clamps, so I ordered a set of those too. I was surprised(not really) when I pulled the air filter box off to find the domestic types installed by the dealer at the last service appointment. Awesome Dodge service.

Glad to be able to handle the basic service now. I'll be trying out an MB dealer for service and work I don't feel comfortable doing in the future. I've been to three different Dodge dealers for regular service and warranty work. Beyond the cost, my experiences haven't been positive. My favorite one was after picking up my van from a service appointment I was told they did not change the fuel filter because "it is pretty expensive". Shouldn't that be my decision? I had brought it in for the required service. I've also had questionable service from two other dealers, but I'm not going to rant. My experience with Pacific NW Dodge dealers is you don't get what you pay for.

Thanks again for the help! This place is a great resource.