PDA

View Full Version : ULSD Fuel: 10 PPM vs. 15 PPM(USA)

psalm66
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel> talks about ULSD fuel being mandated as 10 PPM in places overseas but 15 PPM in the USA. Does this spec difference of 5 PPM create any maintenance issues for new Sprinter owners in the USA?

I've been searching Sprinter-Forum but can't locate the answer to this topic. I'm sure it has been covered already; if so, sorry for the duplication of this topic.

piper1
09-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Does this spec difference of 5 PPM create any maintenance issues for new Sprinter owners in the USA?.

No.

suzieque
09-22-2010, 03:22 AM
its interesting that the definition, according to wikipedia, of ULSD varies so much by geography. my guess is manufacturers have to be aware of the fuel before they release and warranty a vehicle in a country.

I noticed, quite by accident, that some service stations have "farm diesel" which is cheaper, and I'm guessing is not really ULSD.

sailquik
09-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi suzieque;
10 ppm (overseas) or 15 ppm (here in the USA are simply "specifications or standards" issued by the government (the EPA here in the USA.)
ULSD fuel was mandated as sulphur is a big problem with smog and emissions equipment.

"I noticed, quite by accident, that some service stations have "farm diesel" which is cheaper, and I'm guessing is not really ULSD."
Farm Diesel Fuel... and Off Road diesel fuel are HIGH sulphur diesel fuels designed for farm tractors and giant earth moving machines,
cranes, bulldozers, train locomotive diesels, big marine diesels in ships and fishing boats.
The difference in price has more to do with no highway use taxes being added as these vehicles are not supoosed to operate on highways.
Probably won't damage your Sprinter if mixed with ULSD in an emergency (you ran out of fuel on a farm or at a construction site.)
but there is a BIG problem....... High sulphur Farm Use and Off Road diesel has a red dye in it.
Several states sample the fuel in big 18 wheeler trucks , and if they come up with the red dye, in an "on the highway" vehicle, you are
in trouble as you need to pay state/federal highway use taxes and once the red dye goes into your tank, it will be detectable pretty much forever.
Not an issue for a non-commercial Sprinter or an RV, but a big issue for commercial expediter and delivery Sprinters.
Hope this helps,
Roger