PDA

View Full Version : Another Trip Another CEL

sailsailor
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Halfway through a trip to the Maritime Provinces by way of Sault St. Marie, Sturgeon Falls, Montreal, Quebec, then into the Gasp penninsula and the CEL or as the book calls it the yellow engine diagnostic indicator lamp lights up lights up. Great place for that to happen. I pop the hood which I hadn't done for a couple days, my bad, what do I see but this pile of nesting material on top of the engine, see pictures, wish I'd taken the picture with stuff in place. I had never parked longer than overnight, quick little bugger whatever it was. :thinking: Now after removing the air cleaner and shroud for turbo to clean it all up the CEL remains on and the glow plug indicator takes a couple of on and off with the key to go off and stay off when engine started.:frown: Am now on P.E.I. heading for Nova Scotia, looking forward to Maine so I can hit a dealer to get this looked at. Wish I had a scan gauge now so I knew what the code is. Any Ideas? I've double checked all connections and the light was on prior to cleaning the nest out same with the glow plug indicator, I'm sure it's why the CEL light is on, am thinking maybe a dead or dying glow plug. 30,000 miles on the rig and hoping I'll not be stranded. Beginning to wonder/worry about the reliability of this rig.

Diamondsea
09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I live in Virginia and needed "emergency" service while in Nova Scotia last month. Steele Chrysler in Halifax is super and they have Sprinter parts as they send them all around the Maritime Provinces. I showed up without an appointment at 10 in the morning. They had my van in the shop just after lunch. Finished at 3:30 in the afternoon with an new exhaust temperature sensor and a manual DPF regeneration to burn out the particles. (Faulty sensor readings had fooled the computer.) Absolutely no problem in them honoring my USA warranty. I wrote about this on this forum -- try searching for "Steele Chrysler". PS -- I had them also do an oil change all in the same short time frame.

sailsailor
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for that information. We're on the Cabot Trail now and will be in Halifax toward the middle of the week. The glow plug does the correct thing at first start in the mornings then upon start lights up, so I'll shut down and try about three more times before it goes out and stays out upon start. The rest of the day it's fine on shutdown and start up, just in the AM. Meanwhile the CEL remains a constant reminder of something amiss. Halifax here we come, I may call for an appointmen when closer. Thanks again.

sailsailor
10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
The dealership in Halifax worked out great. We had to spend the weekend in Halifax as they couldn't get to it as a drive in. Had to make an appointment for Monday morning. Weekend in Halifax isn't a bad thing though, thankfully we've got the time. Turned out it was a bad glow plug, #3. They replaced that and I had the tires flipped on the rims to even out the outer edge wear. I've got 31,000 miles on these Continentals and want to get 35,000 or more. Mechanic said there was still a lot of the nesting materiel under the cover where the glow plugs are, he was thinking possible wiring issue but found none, whew. I was outta there by noon and on our way to Lunnenberg for the night. The trip is taking longer than we planned, had to extend our hold on mail. There is just too much to see in the Maritime Provinces. Digby, Annapolis Royal, Hopewell Rocks, Fundy Park, and now back in the U.S. after 3 1/2 weeks in Canada, at Acadia now. The Sprinter is running well, no further issues. I am checking under the hood daily now. Thanks again for the Halifax tip.

Neil2
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Halfway through a trip to the Maritime Provinces by way of Sault St. Marie, Sturgeon Falls, Montreal, Quebec, then into the Gasp penninsula and the CEL or as the book calls it the yellow engine diagnostic indicator lamp lights up lights up. Great place for that to happen. I pop the hood which I hadn't done for a couple days, my bad, what do I see but this pile of nesting material on top of the engine, see pictures, wish I'd taken the picture with stuff in place. I had never parked longer than overnight, quick little bugger whatever it was. :thinking: Now after removing the air cleaner and shroud for turbo to clean it all up the CEL remains on and the glow plug indicator takes a couple of on and off with the key to go off and stay off when engine started.:frown: Am now on P.E.I. heading for Nova Scotia, looking forward to Maine so I can hit a dealer to get this looked at. Wish I had a scan gauge now so I knew what the code is. Any Ideas? I've double checked all connections and the light was on prior to cleaning the nest out same with the glow plug indicator, I'm sure it's why the CEL light is on, am thinking maybe a dead or dying glow plug. 30,000 miles on the rig and hoping I'll not be stranded. Beginning to wonder/worry about the reliability of this rig.

What exactly is the 'glow plug indicator'? What does it look like? Where is it?

When starting my 2008 I turn the ignition on, wait until all the indicator lamps de-assert (extinguish) then start the engine. My CEL usually de-asserts but y'day it didn't and hasn't since. I've heard either the NCV3's don't have glow plug indicators or the type of plugs don't require drivers to wait for warming prior to starting the engine. :hmmm:

sailsailor
12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
The mechanic told me that the indicator not going out will not damage the module or glow plugs, so my worry was relieved. The indicator is on the left side of the instrument panel, above the engine light, looks like the coil of a lamp. I always let the light extinguish prior to starting, as it's recommended, especially when the temperature drops.

Mrdi
12-30-2010, 03:26 AM
NEIL

sEE POST #2
"Faulty sensor readings had fooled the computer."

This is the fourth instance of which I'm aware, where a heat sensor caused a CEL in a 2008 Sprinter.