PDA

View Full Version : New or Used?

Fredtoo
09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
I have been looking at 2007+ low mileage sprinters (cargo type) and have noticed that the asking price for used tends to be really close to the price of a 2010.
(or at least a lot closer than I think it should be)

Any idea of what kind of discount is typical on a left over 2010 cargo van that is on the lot?

KMDE
09-20-2010, 02:23 AM
I would not go with a 2010, All your getting is Adblue witch is a pain. It is on a constant drip when the engine is on and refilling that just adds to maintenance cost, that and if you run out you engine shuts off and wont allow you to start back up. It's pretty stupid.

jdcaples
09-20-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't know anything about the typical liquidation discount may be for a NAFTA 2010 Sprinter cargo van.

I want to offer a counter point to the previous posting.

To be fair, the Adblue system includes some driver warnings about running out of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

It is easy enough to find fluid if you are on vacation and need it.

It's even more true if you're running a work vehicle and have access to a local supply of DEF.

Here's some info for the NAFTA owner/consumer:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7179

and

http://factsaboutscr.com/def/default.aspx

I don't want to get into the merits vs lack thereof about Adblue. I don't believe such an argument is appropriate in this particular thread.

No one I know enjoys a cargo bay that's 48 inches tall.

Being able to stand upright in the cargo bay is something that can boast worker morale, promote customer service and promote expedited job-site labor.

That needs to go into an equation when considering the Sprinter.

There is the warranty consideration as well as the "better training opportunities" offered to MB and Freightliner these days, as opposed to what was offered under (daimler)Chrysler's Dodge brand.

If it makes economic sense for you to purchase a 2010 Sprinter - Adblue or not - go ahead and do it.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
09-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Ad blue unresolved problems
One of three before the V6
Wrong additive wrong fuels being used.
Find a tech who can work through this if miles away from a Benz or FreightLiner truck distribution center.
Richard

cedarsanctum
09-20-2010, 04:45 AM
There's usually a pretty good reason why a used vehicle price is very close to the new prices. Might have something to do with the perceived quality of said vehicle.

xxtra
09-20-2010, 06:34 AM
ouch, I am about to order a MY2010. any 2010 owners facing all these problems?

wildimaginations
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I have been looking at 2007+ low mileage sprinters (cargo type) and have noticed that the asking price for used tends to be really close to the price of a 2010.
(or at least a lot closer than I think it should be)

Any idea of what kind of discount is typical on a left over 2010 cargo van that is on the lot?
It's hard but if you keep looking, you will find something that will meet your needs. I've bought both of mine on eBay and have been happy with the transactions. Go to the ones that allows you to make an offer. You'll never know till you make an offer. And if you don't succeed, keep making offers when it gets relisted again and again. Craigslist is another good resource. Keep making offers!!!

Fredtoo
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
There's usually a pretty good reason why a used vehicle price is very close to the new prices. Might have something to do with the perceived quality of said vehicle.

This may be true if the vehicles were sold, but they seem to be re-listed at the same high price.

I am thinking that a truck that was 33k new should be at abut 23k private party when it is about 3 years old with about 50k miles.

Sound fair?

Aqua Puttana
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Are they asking for these prices, or getting them? Anyone can list for whatever they like. If/when they sell and what they actually get is the real question isn't it? I'd think eBay completed sale prices would be an indication of what they are really worth. There may be better indicators? vic

Altered Sprinter
09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I think it's based on scarcity of good quality units which drive the price of a second had hand me down at inflated prices.It's a buyers market. To view the real price of a secondhand Sprinter.
Look at e Bay UK under 2000 U.S dollars for many in fair condition already modified.
Then look at E Bay Australia same ridicules prices as the U.S and most are junkers MB won't put them on the lots. Auction prices reflect the true secondhand value of sprinters.
Insurance values dictate the what you can insure them for.and its less than resale at retail or
eBay prices but matches dealers trade-back and auction prices.
Richard

Fredtoo
09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I see that the 2010 models have more power.
Does this also correlate to improved fuel economy?

Altered Sprinter
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I see that the 2010 models have more power.
Does this also correlate to improved fuel economy? Out side of the NAFTA zone the v6 is a even higher HP rating with higher Nm ratting. Sprinters do not require AD-Blue.nor do they use a SCR system.
HP 190 @3800 rpm
440 Nm @ 16.00-2600 rpm Fuel economy has improved if using 10/ppm 51 Cetane..extra Ultra low sulfate Diesel fuels with defoamers and added refinery additives.
NAFTA still has older ULSD LSD.currently no 10/ppm is commercially available.

Bio mix diesels are cleaner based fuel, but produce less of a higher fuel burn there is a decrease in economy as a result of the blends.
Benefits as to trade-offs Bio Diesel produces less carbonation.
Straight non treated Diesels without additives ULSD 15/ppm produce a higher carbon contaminate based on cetane values.
Winter blends are even more problematic with soot if not using upper cylinder additives.
ULSD was incorporated into Australia system in 2003 by 2005 all stations re-sellers had ULSD 350/ppm super content not to exceed 500 pp/m 15/ppm Nox at 47 cN value
10/ppm EULSD Extra Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel was introduced in March 2007 as a trail fuel for incoming Euro 5 engines Nox has been reduced a further 50%,with noticeable fuel economy increase and smother running engines ,the fuel is backwards comparable on common rail diesel injection systems to 2002.on Euro 3 engines.
Failure of high pressure fuel pumps were common on pre 1995 to 2003 Euro engines as to older fuels not delivering a higher Fuel burn.
35 MPG U.S is more than achievable on an economy run on European engines in the two series up to the 3 series of 3800 KG units.on 4-inline engines with a 163 Hp rating. Time will tell how NAFTA engines run on LSD and ULSD where available
All states were supposed to have had ULSD by no latter than September 2009..It never happened.
Richard