PDA

View Full Version : NAFTA Approved Sprinter Upfitters List

psalm66
09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
The August '10 revised NAFTA Approved Sprinter Upfitters List thread is closed so I can't post a question there regarding that list. The list shows both Sportsmobile Texas and California as being approved MB outfitters but not Indiana. If an outfitter is not on that list what difference does that make for a customer?

jdcaples
09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
The August '10 revised NAFTA Approved Sprinter Upfitters List thread is closed so I can't post a question there regarding that list. The list shows both Sportsmobile Texas and California as being approved MB outfitters but not Indiana. If an outfitter is not on that list what difference does that make for a customer?

I close the thread to keep it from getting too crowded with non-database postings.

I think you should contact the Sprinter Engineering and Safety Compliance Team with that question: sprinter.engineering @ daimler.com

They're the keepers and maintainers of that list.

Please update this thread with any reply you receive.

-Jon

psalm66
09-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Quick update: Emailed Daimer 4 days ago but no response to date.

jdcaples
09-23-2010, 02:10 AM
You might want to email them again. They usually respond the same day....

-Jon

wayneskid
09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Quick update: Emailed Daimer 4 days ago but no response to date.

Ray,

If you misspelled Daimler in the email address like you did here, your message will never find them.

Wayne

jdcaples
09-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Just go here and cut-n-paste the address into an email message.

www.sprinter-engineeringcompliance.com

-Jon

psalm66
09-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks Jon. New Email sent tonight Saturday, Sept 25, 2010.

jdcaples
09-27-2010, 05:04 PM
This phone number might help get you to someone that knows the ramifications of a business that is not on the approved upfitter list: (843)695-5041

-Jon

PS: If someone answers and says, "how'd you get this phone number," it was on a recall letter including an address of Ladson, South Carolina.

Wolf-Dieter Kleimeier
Sprinter Engineering and Compliance Support Team
8501 Palmetto Commerce Pkwy
Ladson, SC 29456 Tel: (843)695-5041
Fax: (843)695-5031

psalm66
09-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Received a prompt written answer tonight (given that a weekend occurred during the reply time): Approved Upfitters are recommended to Sprinter customers.

Adding my own thinking (this portion was not said nor intimated by Sprinter Engineering): it takes time for an Upfitter to be approved and so customers like myself need to be patient!
And so, patient I will try to remain! :bounce:

psalm66
10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Sportsmobile North (Indiana) is a new MB approved upfitter as of this morning (Oct 12, 2010) according to their web site.

TomH
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Am I correct in my understanding that they are approved for upfitting to motorhome and specialty vehicle status, but not for upfitting to AWD or 4x4? For instance, Sportsmobile can upfit a Ford as a motorhome, a 4wd vehicle, or both, without voiding the warranty. With Sprinter, approved upfitters can convert to motorhome, but any conversion work to drive train, trannie, etc. results in voiding of warranty. Is this correct? Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

K-9 SPRINTER
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Am I correct in my understanding that they are approved for upfitting to motorhome and specialty vehicle status, but not for upfitting to AWD or 4x4? For instance, Sportsmobile can upfit a Ford as a motorhome, a 4wd vehicle, or both, without voiding the warranty. With Sprinter, approved upfitters can convert to motorhome, but any conversion work to drive train, trannie, etc. results in voiding of warranty. Is this correct? Thanks for your patience with a newbie.
NOBODY IN USA, IS APPROVED to upfit a sprinter to 4x4

TomH
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
NOBODY IN USA, IS APPROVED to upfit a sprinter to 4x4

That's what I thought, yet there are several (like Salem Kroger in Red Bluff) who do it anyway (with OEM parts), and the warranty is thereby voided, right? If I were to do this, I think I would do it AFTER the warranty expired. SK's fee is $27K. Paraphrasing the great bard, To wait for MB to bring 4x4 to US, or not to wait, that is the question.

gregowski
10-12-2010, 11:41 PM
That's what I thought, yet there are several (like Salem Kroger in Red Bluff) who do it anyway (with OEM parts), and the warranty is thereby voided, right? If I were to do this, I think I would do it AFTER the warranty expired. SK's fee is $27K. Paraphrasing the great bard, To wait for MB to bring 4x4 to US, or not to wait, that is the question.

I just revisited this topic for a recent post about N. American 4x4 Sprinters on my blog. Neither SMB, Salem-Kroger or Upscale Auto seem to be currently offering 4x4 conversions, though they have in the past and hope to do so soon again. If you have contrary info, I'd be very interested, as would many others.

Greg

Altered Sprinter
10-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Politics. it's as simple as that! That leaves everyone up in the air of bewilderment.
AWD + plus four options for transfer case options Z1 to Z4.
Suspension , Its not that simple if looking for Parabolic trailing arms with interdependent spring assist .Panhard stabilizing bars or single to dual differential air lockers for rock crawling if you want
Simply put it's the cost .....to build U.S 100.000 thousand dollars plus+ There are four suppliers to make the prefect unit, but who services them? if your a thousand miles from the nearest designated service point. Parts are not stocked ,therfore a down time is incurred implicating further $costings.
Basic AWD yes:bounce: that's simple, but optioned to true 4x4 The logistics become a nightmare.

Richard