Bold prediction time - DPF life!

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
My prediction for the life of the first DPF on my Euro5 NCV3 is... 250,000 miles minimum (currently 35,000).

I may or may not know something, but need time and miles before commenting further!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Interesting as to How long a DPF can go for.
Since the introduction of the NCV July 2006; none to date have been replaced in my neck of the woods.
I personally doubt if you will experience a premature failure in the five year time pan you'll be operating under,unless your using low quality diesel fuel with a high sulfur content,with no refinery additives for cleaning both fuels and contaminates of soot build up in your valve train.
DPF will be gone completely by 2016 on the New Euro 5 OM 651 engines.with Euro 6 2011 EEV optioning to take you through to 2016 for emission compliance.
Richard

SRT

Hi-Miler
My prediction for the life of the first DPF on my Euro5 NCV3 is... 250,000 miles minimum (currently 35,000).

I may or may not know something, but need time and miles before commenting further!
I've got two 2008's with around 200K that have already needed cleaning... if you have a secret, do tell!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I've got two 2008's with around 200K that have already needed cleaning... if you have a secret, do tell!
For a while a number of members - including me - suspect it's fuel. Fuel with higher cetane numbers burns more completely.

Other countries - and Mean In Green travels the UK and the Continent - have cetane values for diesel fuel in the 50s.

US fuel is supposed to have a cetane value in the low 40s.

I've performed network engineering/IT contract work for ConocoPhillips, Chevron and Shell in the States and BP in the UK.

After spending a few days with American oil business employees, I was able to chat people up in the corporate parking lot.

Usually I'd find a Cummins, Powerstroke or Duramax driver on the payroll. I've been told by a number of full time employees that the diesel fuel leaving the refineries sometimes has a cetane value in the mid to upper 30s.... 10, sometimes 15% below spec.

BP employees in the UK don't seem to know much about what happens to fuel BP owns which is processed on US soil. I've never been to a BP property in the States.

For what that's worth....

-Jon

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
That is an unusual sounding phrase.

For those that missed it, the fuel pump's hose is made by Goodyear and - not that you'd know from the US economic news reports that we manage to export anything these days - manufactured in the States....

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
You'd be surprised as to what is made in the USA down under,and as to the thousands of dollars of US made equipment I have, some in excess of 25 years that to this day has never failed.
Proudly made in the USA,and proud to own it. I'm not a lover of Chinese products as to well! we all have it .
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Whilst acknowledging the fuel quality argument there are a lot of Euro4 NCV3 owners over here (Europe) that aren't seeing much more than 100,000 miles out of their DPFs. I think you attribute some of that to vehicle use, short town cycles for example. At the time of writing we haven't had Euro5 engines long enough here to compare.

Taking that into consideration let's see how well I do with mine.

Whilst acknowledging the fuel quality argument there are a lot of Euro4 NCV3 owners over here (Europe) that aren't seeing much more than 100,000 miles out of their DPFs. I think you attribute some of that to vehicle use, short town cycles for example. At the time of writing we haven't had Euro5 engines long enough here to compare.

Taking that into consideration let's see how well I do with mine.

as long as the dpf can be cleaned cheaply its not an issue:bounce:

Top Bottom