PDA

View Full Version : Road Noise

ducsingle
09-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I get a lot of road noise in my 2005 118 Sprinter. I've been adding Dynamat and sound insulation, but it's still *really* loud at speed. So loud it's tough to have a conversation at 70mph. The drivetrain wine is pretty bad too.

Has anyone figured out a better way to reduce the road noise, or is it just another aspect of Sprinter ownership?

Doug
09-16-2010, 12:23 AM
When I changed tires on my 3500 I was able to turn down the radio and stop wearing noise canceling headphones. The tires are a big noise maker. If you have the 15" rims this tire has very low road noise and taller giving you better MPG and softer ride. Now when I drive my 2000 VW Jetta the Jetta is louder then my Sprinter because of tire noise.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=7&ratio=0&diameter=15&x=56&y=8

Doug
04 Topless 140

surlyoldbill
09-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Block pattern tires are WAY louder than highway ribbed tires. Unless you are driving on mud/snow/ice all the time, block pattern tires are pointless. Any tread line that goes across the surface of the tire instead of around it will make noise, like driving over tiny cattle guards constantly.

shortshort
09-16-2010, 02:31 AM
When I changed tires on my 3500 I was able to turn down the radio and stop wearing noise canceling headphones. The tires are a big noise maker. If you have the 15" rims this tire has very low road noise and taller giving you better MPG and softer ride. Now when I drive my 2000 VW Jetta the Jetta is louder then my Sprinter because of tire noise.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=7&ratio=0&diameter=15&x=56&y=8

Doug
04 Topless 140

Nah, those tires are quiet because with them your engine is turning 1500rpm at 90mph :laughing:

mean_in_green
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
One look at an NCV3 door shows how DC reduced cabin noise by improving the T1Ncan's poor cab door sealing.

You can mimic this improvement by retrofitting self adhesive sealing strips designed for the Vito, fitting them down the A-pillar and in the door jamb where the trailing edge of the door rests.

Guess there are a lot of generic seals that would do just as good a job - search for a post, it's been done.

Dynamat the wheel wells too, and under the floor lining.

maxextz
09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
if you've insulated the cab with dynomat then you should not be hearing much noise.
i did mine not with dynomat but other stuff and the difference is fantastic the only downside is i cant hear my in line 5 so good:rolleyes:.

could you have a problem with your drive train maybe a bearing problem?id check that because your sprinter should not be as noisey as you say.

glasseye
09-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with the above posts. A good part of the noise is wheels-to-roadway noise coming up through the cabin floor. Varying road surfaces makes a huge difference in the amount of roar you hear, so it's gotta be the tires. This winter, out comes the floor materials, in goes the Dynamat. Or mass loaded vinyl or...

I hear a lot of wind noise at the A-pillar, too. Extra sealing on the doors would help. I was gonna do a test by taping over the door gaps with masking tape, but I'm too busy helping to stucco my friend's house. : )

Doug
09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
One other place for annoying noise is the round tubing on the mirrors. It is what showed up after fixing the noisy tires.

Doug
04 Topless 140

maxextz
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
yes you need to add more rubber around the doors like the new ncv has.i think the op is talking about noise from the drive train either the diff or bearings wheel or prop shaft.
i suppose he could jack up the rear and listen for the noise while the wheels are running.

hkpierce
09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
One look at an NCV3 door shows how DC reduced cabin noise by improving the T1Ncan's poor cab door sealing.

You can mimic this improvement by retrofitting self adhesive sealing strips designed for the Vito, fitting them down the A-pillar and in the door jamb where the trailing edge of the door rests.

Guess there are a lot of generic seals that would do just as good a job - search for a post, it's been done.

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168&highlight=gasket

Doug
09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Nah, those tires are quiet because with them your engine is turning 1500rpm at 90mph :laughing:

And is that a bad thing?

Doug
Top speed 93 MPH computer limited

shortshort
09-17-2010, 06:57 AM
I wish my van would make it to 90. With the 235/75x15s I top out at around 85. 93 is just a a dream...