PDA

View Full Version : Factory Radio Help

jturpin
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I bought a Sprinter 2007 144 with factory radio delete. I am trying to install the factory radio that I bought used.
I thought it would be a simple plug and play. The factory harness was attached to the back of the the blank with just one brown wire in it. I dug around and found three aux jack type plugs and two other flat plugs. Look at the pics and give me your opinion. Did they make wiring harnesses with no radio wiring?

Thanks,
JT in NC

cedarsanctum
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
If you did not order an accessory, you did not get the wiring for it, unless you ordered the radio prep kit that includes just the wiring harness.

jdcaples
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
MB keeps track of invididual vehicle options by VIN.

The data card is like the classic American "window sticker" stuck to the window of a new vehicle on a dealership lot.

Email your VIN to me and I'll reply with your data card.

Post your VIN and I'll post your data card.

-Jon

jturpin
09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will just have to hardwire it in. Wonder what the other two plugs are yellow and white?

Thanks,
JT in NC

jdcaples
09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
There's another twist to the factory radio.

You might need the control module and factory scan tool to activate it.

Below are some screen shots from StarMOBILE Desktop Client showing how the Sprinter's electronic modules communicate over the network, the radio control module's information including initializing the radio.

There's a chance the factory radio won't work w/o some interaction with the scan tool, perhaps getting some SCN (software calibration number) from Daimler AG via Chrysler or Mercedes-Benz USA to apply to a factory Radio Control Module.

-Jon

PS: by scan tool I mean Mercedes Benz SDS, Chrysler's WiTECH, Chrysler's StarMOBILE or (and this might be a reach) StarSCAN.

A couple of members have said that plugging an aftermarket radio stopped StarMOBILE from working properly with the vehicle. I think that was fixed in a later revision of scan tool software, but we really aren't told by Daimler how this stuff actually works.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

twistyroad
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
A couple of members have said that plugging an aftermarket radio stopped StarMOBILE from working properly with the vehicle. I think that was fixed in a later revision of scan tool software, but we really aren't told by Daimler how this stuff actually works.

I'll vouch for both parts of Jon's statement. When I initially replaced my radio with an aftermarket unit, I had to dig out the factory harness and plug in the old radio whenever I wanted to use my StarMOBILE. A later StarMOBILE software version (Release 10.01) fixed that.