PDA

View Full Version : Run out of Diesel do i prime to restart?

Martin Duffy
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Dummy me have run out of Deisel.

I have popped 15 litres back in but it wont start and the more I turn it over it seems to be running the battery out.

Do I need to prime the fuel pump to get it started? is it the fuel pump that one primes? sorry to sound like a dummy.

I was told that sprinters are self primers? well how come evertime I run out I can't start it on my own and need to get a jump start!

Also, the local RACT (the mobile mechanic) says that if one flattens the battery then its a good idea to pop it on a recharger?

is that a heap of bull...t or wouldn't just a good 30 minute drive bring it back up to full/max charge.

Thanks

Martin
Australia

sikwan
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Martin, the fuel filter needs to be primed if you replaced it. The specific model year Sprinter will determine whether you have to prime it by hand (fill fuel into filter) or turn key (do-not-start) for 40 seconds to prime.

As for as I know, the high pressure pump, post fuel filter, is self-priming.

Martin Duffy
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Its a 2003 313 with a fuel filter.

mmm, what are the steps then.

Thanks

Martin.

bc339
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Check out the video jstos supplied for replacing the filter - it's post #64 under fuel filter change in the T1N write up section. About 3/4 through, he shows how to prime your style of filter - the US T1N use a different filter.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2318&highlight=fuel+filter+replacement&page=7

I would also go along with what your mechanic instructed about recharging a flat battery. The lower charge on the battery will really put a high demand on the alternator and may shorten its life.

Bruce

mean_in_green
09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
If yours isn't self priming Martin fill the filter with diesel using a funnel and it'll start no problem.

You can easily flatten the battery and/or toast the starter motor - it'll never start once you've got too much air in the filter,

Altered Sprinter
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Self primes but the trick is keying igntion on off for fuel to recycle
I have not ran out of fuel so ave never done it.
Battery can be checked for voltage that's not an issue.
Richard

seans
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I would also go along with what your mechanic instructed about recharging a flat battery. The lower charge on the battery will really put a high demand on the alternator and may shorten its life.

FWIW: My van's alternator was DOA after receiving it shipped across the country after I bought it. Carfax showed it had sat idle for at least six months, and I am fairly certain that in the summer when it was purchased by a dealership from an auto auction, they ran it with the front and rear air on while it was charging, and killed it.

Mike Horton
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
In 2002 i ran our izzuzu MPR completely out of fuel. I walked 3 miles for fuel only to not be able to start it. I called "THE MAN" And he came 2 hours later.:thumbup: He still couldn't start it. He said he had one more trick......he soaked rag in GAS, wrung it out then wadded it up and put it in the air box......:popcorn::eek: I wasn'som sure, but I was ready to roll so I turned my head and prayed......it started right up! :rad: I'm not saying yo:thumbdown: should do this, but it did work for me with no appArent back side. Mabe I was lucky.:idunno::bow:

Mike Horton
09-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Some day I'll tell you how I wached a tire guy inflate a truck tire in .076 seconds with only a rag on fire and a good squirt of starting fluid! :professor: After you drive a truck for awhile you see a lot of crazy stuff! :rad:

nebep
09-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Some day I'll tell you how I wached a tire guy inflate a truck tire in .076 seconds with only a rag on fire and a good squirt of starting fluid! :professor: After you drive a truck for awhile you see a lot of crazy stuff! :rad:

I can typically pride myself on some crazy stuff Mike - but this I GOTTA HEAR!!!

I don't know squat about Sprinter's in Australia, but, here, there are two "versions" of fuel filters - for one, there's an electric pump in the tank, for the other, it's all mechanical and you better have some fuel in the new filter or you'll be at it for a while...

Okie Rick
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Sealing a bead to a rim with a controlled explosion like a shot of gas is a back saver for 99.9% of the truckers. The other .1% haven't had a flat on the road w/o a spare.

Okie
-

Altered Sprinter
09-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Martin "All is well, But fuel angle on your tank with a few liters will cause restart issues. You do have a self priming Fuel pump.
Fuel may have to be primed back manually from the fuel lines as to lack of vacuum and air in lines.
Fill filter with Diesel, and purge till it flows.

Turn ignition on! You have a fuel light in the center of your dashboard when the light
goes out,start and turn starter ten times ,then turn off repeat the cycle five times till it starts.
If air bubbles are present in lines purge the water filter outlet. this dissipates air in the filter and line.

In other words don't run out of fuel. or call RAC:rant: There can be times where fuel from the tank will refuse to come back to the main line, as there are no [B]manual self priming pumps on the sprinter you may have to place a fuel hand pump on the lines to manually purge the fuel forward to the end line usually because your fuel tank is on an angle. and may need manual assistance. [It happens]
Richard
Beer mate?

Video Change.oil automated,fuel.oil cabin filter etc (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7011)
YouTube - Mercedes Sprinter - How to Change Diesel Fuel Filter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo7ZTKOhdTU&feature=player_embedded)

KL2BE
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM

OK, this is a very minor quibble, but it may help in understanding the issue of charging a week or "dead" battery :idunno:.
The alternator can maintain a charging current sufficient to give a starting battery a recharge with ease. Indeed, the standard OEM alternator is used on most (probably all) RV conversions and is called on routinely to charge a large house bank of batteries as well as the starting battery all the time. On a trip e.g. my alternator will every day be putting more amp/hours back into the house bank than the total capacity of the starting battery. If an alternator called upon to recharge 60 amp/hours every day did not last at least 10 years, I would look for a better brand :frown:.
The reason the mechanic is right (and may not know it) is that it will take too long to recharge (like 4-8 hours) with the alternator; and may not fully recharge if major Sulphation has occurred :shifty: . A good bench charger will do the job more rapidly by offering up a higher voltage until the battery's acceptance rate falls to 1-2 apms at which time it should shift to a lower 13.4V-13.6V. An important factor is to get the battery FULLY recharged ASAP :thumbup: .
Also, a battery that has been severally discharged could benefit from an Equalization Cycle of a straight 15V for a few hours to reduce sulphation. An Equalization cycle could save your battery from the junk-pile. Sulphation is a constant threat to batteries that are not fully re-charged. It is a layer of lead sulphate that forms on the plates and inhibits the electro-chemical reaction that allows you to charge/discharge batteries. It is the chief (virtually only) reason for the death of a lead-acid battery regardless of age. Many batteries can be raised from the dead if they are "Equalized". :professor: Just be sure the fluid level is checked before and after an Equalization Cycle as some water will be boiled-off :D:. That's why it's tricky to Equalize a "maintenance-free" battery; although they too can benefit is the Cycle is not done too long (a real expert will monitor the Equalization Cycle with a battery temperature probe to end the 15Vs before serious boil-off occurs).
Check out this thread of you want to know more about batteries than your mechanic: http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12556

jdcaples
09-15-2010, 02:17 AM
In other words don't run out of fuel. or call RAC

Can you expand the acronym "RAC?"

Royal Armoured Corps?
Royal Air Corps?
Rual Assistance Centre?
Royal Automobile Club?
Regional Automotive Club?
Rescue And Castigation (brigade/society)?

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
09-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Royal Automobile Club Of Tasmania 24 Hr Road Emergency Callout.

kitesurfer
09-16-2010, 11:52 AM
An important factor is to get the battery FULLY recharged ASAP :thumbup: .

This is true and also why you should use a bench charger rather than you vehicles alternator. The majority of automotive charging systems utilize a relatively crude form of voltage regulation that prevents the alternator from overvolting the batteries. As such it won't fully charge your vehicle's battery, which is why when you flatten a vehicle battery it is a good idea to recharge it with a bench charger that does have the capcity to fully charge your battery.

KS

Altered Sprinter
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I belive he had a jump start, after running out of crank amps.
Richard

stealiedan
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
I have similar problem. Only I replaced fuel lines and low pressure pump.
I can't get it started. What do I Do ?

MillionMileSprinter
01-08-2014, 05:53 PM
I have similar problem. Only I replaced fuel lines and low pressure pump.
I can't get it started. What do I Do ?

What year van do you have? This makes a difference.
Did you pre-fill the filter with fuel?
When I changed the fuel filter on the '03, I take off the intake fuel line at the low pressure pump and start pumping fuel up from the tank, through the filter and up the line using a Mighty-Vac.
When I change it on the '06, I just need to make sure I pre-fill the filter and the van does the rest.

stealiedan
01-08-2014, 06:05 PM

stealiedan
01-08-2014, 06:07 PM
No I didn't prefilled filter. What is a mighty vac?
How much is one?
Where do I get one?

MillionMileSprinter
01-08-2014, 06:40 PM

'02 and '03 don't have a "pusher" pump in the fuel tank. That's why you need a mighty vac to SUCK up the fuel to the low pressure pump. There are TONS of threads on here about "air in fuel lines" that you can search. Now that you've changed the fuel filter, you are at risk for a minute air leak that will create air bubbles in your lines. If you properly prime the system like I told you how and you don't have any bubbles in the lines, consider yourself lucky!
Good luck!:thumbup:

Aqua Puttana
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
What year van do you have? This makes a difference.
Did you pre-fill the filter with fuel?
When I changed the fuel filter on the '03, I take off the intake fuel line at the low pressure pump and start pumping fuel up from the tank, through the filter and up the line using a Mighty-Vac.
They are handy little gadgets.

When I change it on the '06, I just need to make sure I pre-fill the filter and the van does the rest.
Not that you asked...
In my opinion by pre-filling a NAS 2004 and up you are taking a chance on making a mess and wasting your time by doing it. Be aware that you have an electric fuel pump and a fuel return system.

The manual states to cycle the ignition key on/off a set number of times (3 maybe?) to allow the electric fuel pump to move fuel through the lines and fill the new filter. That's always worked for my 2004.

No I didn't prefilled filter. What is a mighty vac?
How much is one?
Where do I get one?
It is a small hand pump vacuum unit. when correctly connected it will pull fuel up from the fuel tank and mostly fill the fuel filter to help prime the system.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

Actually even the OM612 engines like yours with the mechanical low pressure "suck type" fuel pump will self prime during cranking IF, and it is sometimes a big if, the fuel system is tight with no leaks to pull air instead of fuel.

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I “NAFTA NAS (N. American Spec) 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >260,000 mi. Paint=Arctic Whitewash, DAD” . If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Can't see Signature and Avatar Info?
Go to Quick Links in the blue bar above.
Click "Edit Options".
Scroll to "Thread Display Options".
Look to see if "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" are checked.
Click on them if not.
Go down to "Save Changes".

Thanks. vic

glvu
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
You can buy a might vac at most autopart stores, even harbor freight has one. a link below shows how to connect them.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40312&d=1327301713

jmoller99
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I have had to put a foam rubber plug and compresser air into the fuel tank to get the fuel flowing again (I wrote it up in the T1N area a while back, but don't recall the article location). Never run out of fuel on a 2002/2003, you will likely not be able to get the fuel flowing again unless you completely fill the fuel tank before trying to let the Sprinter do it by runing the starter.

When my Sprinter shows 1/2 a tank (about 16 gallons used), I look for fuel - My 2002, like the 2003, don't have the fuel pump in the diesel fuel tank, so it takes quite an effort to get all the air out of the system if I change the fuel filter (or if I ran out of fuel any time). According to my fuel gauge/Odometer, the 1/2 tank is somewhere between 350 and 400 miles. I never drive more than 450 miles before fillling up (You can set your milage indicator to work as a trip odometer, and reset it back to zero every time you fill up, so it is exceptionally easy to tell how far you have gone between fillups).

I run a free Android app (Gas Buddy) which will tell me where Diesel stations are that are near where I currently am (by default, it shows Gasoline, but its easy to get Diesel info instead). It has been useful on cross country trips where I have no idea where to look for fuel along the way.