PDA

View Full Version : mirror question

solson
09-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi! Recent new owner of a 2010 Sprinter, and so far very happy with it!
My question is about the external mirrors - do they fold in? I've tried, but there is resistance, and I'm afraid to push too hard or force them, in case they aren't designed to fold in.
Thanks for your help - I look forward to more sprinter discussion!

Diamondsea
09-10-2010, 09:46 PM
They do fold in -- it just takes a lot of push! When folded back out they snap into a detent so as to return to their exact position.

solson
09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I thought that they must, I'll just use a little more shoulder next time:smilewink:

maxextz
09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
id say because its only new they will be a lot stiffer.

jmgasior
09-12-2010, 12:45 AM
interesting,does the 2008 year do the same thing?thanks

cedarsanctum
09-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Ours have folded, very stiffly, since new. I do avoid using the feature, hoping to lessen the chance something will wear out. I've had too many cars with floppy mirrors. But it's nice to know a good push will move them back. Might save them.

rvdriverca
09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
All EU vehicle must have movable or breakaway parts like mirrors, hood ornaments in case they hit a pedestrian:2cents:

wayneskid
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
interesting,does the 2008 year do the same thing?thanks

The mirrors on my 2008 FL 3500 do fold. As others have said, it takes a really strong push. Also, be careful how you apply the force! My wife folded one of ours and the way she was pushing caused the mirror shroud some odd distortion and a very small (hard to see and mostly non-consequential, but still....) piece of plastic snapped off of the mating area at the edge of the shroud. :thumbdown::yell: I'm still trying to decide whether I should get a new mirror housing or a new wife. :idunno: When I fold them I apply force with both hands, at the top and bottom of the outside part of the mirror and give it a strong shove. You can't bet timid about this!

Chandlerazman
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd replace the wife. I hear the newer models are nice. :smirk:

cedarsanctum
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I'd replace the wife. I hear the newer models are nice. :smirk:
Warranty isn't as good, and i hear they wear out quicker.

jdcaples
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm 5 feet 7 inches bare foot. My weight fluxuates between 145 and 160 over the course of any year.

I use my shoulder/bicep to fold the mirrors. I just put my bicep on the back of the mirror housing and lean into it until I overcome the resistence of the corrugated plastic ridges.

As for using the feature sparingly, Jef (cedarsanctum) is wise. The parts themselves are several hundred dollars if you have heated mirrors and backup-proximity sensors (aka Parktronic). You really don't want to replace those if you can avoid it. If you can save them by keeping them tucked on a busy street, that's a good idea. Parking regularly on a busy street - even if you don't get hit, but fold the mirrors daily - you're going to wear down the plastic ridges.

-Jon

BBlessing
09-15-2010, 02:12 AM
The mirrors on my 2008 FL 3500 do fold. As others have said, it takes a really strong push. Also, be careful how you apply the force! My wife folded one of ours and the way she was pushing caused the mirror shroud some odd distortion and a very small (hard to see and mostly non-consequential, but still....) piece of plastic snapped off of the mating area at the edge of the shroud. :thumbdown::yell: I'm still trying to decide whether I should get a new mirror housing or a new wife. :idunno: When I fold them I apply force with both hands, at the top and bottom of the outside part of the mirror and give it a strong shove. You can't bet timid about this!

i folded my driver side mirror back once. then sometime later, i noticed a broken piece of plastic hanging out of the joint between the mirror housing and it's mount. i was able to work this piece out, but have yet to disassemble the mirror to figure out where it came from. it looks to me like a stop, or movement limiter.

bb

Aqua Puttana
09-15-2010, 03:36 AM
BB,

That shape does look somewhat familiar to me...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.:bash: vic