Transmission short shifing

Sacto John

Over the last few weeks I have notices that my van is short shifting from 2nd to 3rd when it is cold. After 10 minutes of driving the transmission seems to work normally. I am looking for suggestions on what could be causing this. I' am right at 40,000 miles and the transmission was replaced by the previous owner at less then 10,000 (I found the paperwork in my glovebox) Any ideas on what may be causing this? other than checking my fluid level is there something else I can do to help narrow down what the problem could be?

sailquik

Hi sacto john,
First you need to have the TCM (Transmission Control Module) scanned with a DAD unit or better still a dealers OBD-III setup for Sprinters.
A generic "scan" won't even look at the transmission module. Got to have the DAD or ODB-III to get that module.
MIght be time to have a dealer change the fluid and filter.
What exactly do you mean by "short shifting"?
Do you have any leakage at the plastic electrical fitting on the RH front corner..... there's an O ring there that often needs replacement (get the right
latest edition part and this won't be an issue anymore).
There are electrical contacts in the plastic fitting that might need to be cleaned.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Sacto John

What I mean by short shifting is that the transmission shifts into the next gear early. When it does this it makes a "clunk" sound. Again it only does this when it is cold, after I have driven the van for 3 or 4 minutes the clunk goes away and the transmission shifts normally.

mendonsy

It sounds like some sort of issue with a pressure regulator in the valve body. Possibly something that a trans fluid change might help??
Maybe a PM to Doktor A would get you a more useful answer??:thinking:

Top Bottom