PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty from Freightliner

folzag
09-03-2010, 04:41 AM
I was clicking around the McCoy Sprinter site today to get their phone number to schedule service for the air conditioner waterfall failure (ugh!) and happened to notice Freightliner is offering 2 year extended warranties. I hadn't seen this mentioned previously so I thought I'd pass it along. There's no pricing info, nor fine print on what the limited of Extended Limited Warranty applies to, but it looks interesting nonetheless: no deductible, no claims processing, just take it to a Freightliner Sprinter dealer. I'm scheduled to drop off the van on Tuesday. I'll see if I can get some more details to share in case anyone is interested.

From the web site (http://www.portland.ftlsprinterdealer.com/new/warrenty):
Extra Reassurance Goes a Long Way. 2-Years or 100,000 Miles to be Exact.

Available Summer 2010

Freightliner offers an Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) for the Sprinter with several attractive features:
1- and 2-year/up to 100,000 mile warranty options available.
No deductibles or cumbersome claims processing.
No approvals required prior to repairs.
Repairs by factory-trained technicians utilizing high-tech, diagnostic equipment.
Repairs completed with Genuine Sprinter Parts.
Cancellation with refund anytime prior to New Vehicle Warranty expiration.
Honored by all Freightliner Sprinter dealerships.

Only Sprinters under the original, new vehicle warranty period are eligible. So, if you’re considering an Extended Limited Warranty, Freightliner Sprinter ELW is the way to go.

autostaretx
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
...just take it to a Freightliner Sprinter dealer.
Where do you go in the other 23 states? (and Canada)

Verify that MB will also service the vehicle under the policy... in writing.
(a hopeful sign is that Mercedes-Benz Manhattan, Inc. is one of the dealers on that Freightliner site)

By tweaking their URL, i fell across a one-page list of all US(plus one) Freightliner Sprinter dealers: http://www.ftlsprinterdealer.com/
(that list shows you can drive a significant way across the country without entering an FLS state: WA, ID, MT, ND/SD ...)
(i'm also amused by "Test Dealer Data" in Surry [sic] ...England)(yes, they spelled it wrong: it's "Surrey")
(and it's kind'a cheating that "The Around The Clock Freightliner Group, LLC (73128)" is listed three times)

--dick

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Extended warranty was discussed with Mark...
UK Germany have the same Australia. Vito is now a 5 year 120 thousand mile warranty
Sprinters on special have it thrown in deal between Fleet owners and MB corporate.
Many owners do not reach the 120 thousand mark in three years, so you negotiate to extend the warranty to 5 years.
There are three extended and or service options for warranty and servicing extensions for five years.
Richard

icarus
09-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Just for the record, what is the standard freightliner warrantee for an '08? What is included in the emission warrantee and the diesel warrantee?

Icarus

wayneskid
09-04-2010, 02:17 AM
From my 2008 Freightliner Sprinter Warranty Information book (which has Chrysler Van LLC on almost every page except the cover. :yell:
Sorry about the low grade scan.

The diesel engine warranty (5 yr./100K mi.) covers ONLY:
Block & all internal parts, heads, core plugs, FI pump & injectors, gaskets & seals, manifolds, oil pan, oil pump, timing gear drive and cover, turbo housing and internal parts, valve covers, water pump & housing.

The Federal emissions warranty (5 yr./100K mi.) covers most of the major parts in these systems:
Air Intake, Fuel Metering, EGR, Exhaust, Emission Control System Sensors, OBD.

Wayne

icarus
09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Very nice,, thank you very much.

One other question, what about the turbo and it's related parts? Is that considered part of the internal, emission, or exhaust system?

Icarus

Once again, If I had read your post clearly, I would have seen the turbo and housing the the engine components!

staph infection
09-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Spoke with the Freightliner dealer today. From Warner Freightliner here in the Salt Lake Valley (utah) I was told:
The extended warranty is 990$ for one year and 1250$ for 2 years. It covers all internally lubricated engine parts, turbo, trany & rear diff. Only available for Freightliner titled vans.

Altered Sprinter
09-09-2010, 04:53 AM
So is this less or equal to a Mercedes tilted van
Jon !
Richard

folzag
09-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Thanks for following up, SI. I picked up my van this morning but it was too early for me and I forgot to ask about the extended warranty details.

If all it covers is the powertrain (minus EGR?, that's not lubricated is it), I don't know that is such a good deal. When I think about the service bulletins and all the usual suspects I've had fail myself, the engine & trans are actually pretty solid, no? The prop bearings seem not covered. The A/C waterfall is not covered. I suppose the transmission connector leak would be covered. And I suppose there may be an additional set of problems at the 3-5 year mark that haven't been discovered yet, but $1250 is getting into some expensive type repairs that I just can't imagine experiencing.

Especially as the failures are 1) limited to the powertrain and 2) there are A LOT of members here with more miles today, than I expect to have in 5 years (ignoring the apples & oranges fact that I have the 3.5L petrol engine). There haven't been, so far as I can recall, anything prematurely wearing out on the Sprinters. There's been a few poorly designed and/or poorly built parts that were essentially latent problems when the vans left the factory and at it was only a matter of time until one discovered them (call it infant mortality). But that is a different situation than a hypothetical like 30-40% of the vans having worn out the transmission between 60-80k miles (call it premature aging). Premature aging is the type of failure the extended warranty would be good insurance against, and again, I don't recall any reports of that nature. To the contrary, Sprinters age quite well in spite of, and once one gets past the, seemingly high infant mortality.

psalm66
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM
You'll need the extended warrantee if you get routine service work done in Rhode Island. The RI Freightliner dealer listed (twice) at http://www.ftlsprinterdealer.com/ insists that 2008 Sprinters use 229.5 MB spec. oil. Be aware.

staph infection
09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Folzag I agree with your logic on the mortality of items which may or may not be covered by the extended warranty here. Besides I do not own a "Freightliner" which is not like a Dodge I guess.
In the past the Freightliner dealer was happy to service the Van and all work was covered (I'm still in the 36k / 3yr period). However on this visit I was denied service for the EGR valve and told that there is a recall out but I gotta go to a Dodge dealer.
I liked the 24/7 service department at Freightliner. We will see how the Dodge dealer does today.
Fred

jdcaples
09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
You'll need the extended warrantee if you get routine service work done in Rhode Island. The RI Freightliner dealer listed (twice) at http://www.ftlsprinterdealer.com/ insists that 2008 Sprinters use 229.5 MB spec. oil. Be aware.

I really expected to see something there this morning..... given that you posted it today... but this is what I saw when I opened the www.flsprinterdealer.com link:

-Jon

I clicked on the link, but mistyped the URL. It should have been http://www.ftlsprinterdealer.com

and I'm leaving the error in place as a reminder. I love your emails, telling me how helpful something I posted was, or how right I was or how I saved you from buying a $5000.00 piece of equipment that won't talk to your Sprinter..... but seriously, I'm human. I make mistakes; lots of 'em.

jdcaples
09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
So is this less or equal to a Mercedes tilted van
Jon !
Richard

Sorry I'm late to the party. I think others have answered this pretty well.

-Jon

autostaretx
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I really expected to see something there this morning..... given that you posted it today... but this is what I saw when I opened the www.ftlsprinterdealer.com link:
(image removed)
-Jon

Yes, that's what you see with that URL... and you'll notice that "Altrui Brothers" shows up twice.

That link he posted is one i posted earlier, formed by trimming off the "dealer" portion of the URL formed by the Official " http://www.freightlinersprinterusa.com/ " site's Dealer Locator.

--dick

Removed: I see that this morning the " www.flsprinterdealer.com " now leads to a 404 "no such page" capture.
Why: Jon had mistyped the link as "fl" not "ftl". That's why i got a 404.
I do find it interesting that "flsprinterdealer.com" is a valid URL in that it was served the 404 response.
I edited my quote of Jon's post to have the correct (list of dealers) URL
--dick

HappyFamilyVan
09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
...insists that 2008 Sprinters use 229.5 MB spec. oil. Be aware.

Several MB dealers insist the same...even those that post on this site...I was told by one dealer's service depart posting on this forum...Mobil one is Mobil one.

I think the comment should not ne "Be aware" it should be "Beware"

Oil changes are so easy on Sprinters...be safe, do it yourself.

jdcaples
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Why: Jon had mistyped the link as "fl" not "ftl". That's why i got a 404.
I do find it interesting that "flsprinterdealer.com" is a valid URL in that it was served the 404 response.
I edited my quote of Jon's post to have the correct (list of dealers) URL
--dick

I thought I cut-n-pasted that.... oh well... thanks for the catch.

-Jon

jmgasior
09-12-2010, 12:56 AM
ray - -keep spreading the word

Altered Sprinter
09-12-2010, 02:30 AM
I guess Mobil one is Mobil One and this problematic dealer idiocy will continue. :bash:
same as fluids.such as brake and transmission fluids.:censored:.
Richard

wayneskid
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
The Freightliner Sprinter website still shows this:

Every business owner searches for the one solution that consistently works the best for him or her. Freightliner offers Extended Limited Warranty (ELW)12 options to make sure the Sprinter becomes that solution. ■1- and 2-year/up to 84,000-mile warranty options available.
■No deductibles or cumbersome claims processing.
■No approvals required prior to repairs.
■Repairs by factory-trained technicians utilizing high-tech, diagnostic equipment.
■Repairs completed with Genuine Sprinter parts.
■Cancellation with refund anytime prior to New Vehicle Warranty expiration.
■Honored by all authorized Sprinter dealerships.
■Manufacturer backing.
■To qualify, the Sprinter must be under the original New Vehicle Warranty period.

But, I was told this morning by the Br. Mgr. at McCoy that the options (and prices) were changed in November. The choices are now:
1 yr/84,000mi = $1,159 (was 1yr/72,000 mi. for $995)
2 yr/100,000mi = $1,429 (was 2yr/84,000 mi. for $1295)
3 yr/125,000mi = $1,829

I'm waiting for a copy of the T&Cs to see if there are any changes there.

Wayne

psalm66
09-28-2013, 12:21 AM
My Freightliner 36,000 mile warrantee is about ready to expire. Called my dealer in Providence RI USA to check terms/cost of an extended warrantee and they said they have never written one before! Been a week and still waiting for their follow up as to availability from Freightliner/Mercedes. Said I wanted the Extended Limited Warrantee right from the factory and not "Easy Care" as someone elsewhere in this forum warned about. They servive a lot of vehicles there so very surprised they haven't had a request for one before.

Any suggestions on how to proceed at this point?
-Ray

I was clicking around the McCoy Sprinter site today to get their phone number to schedule service for the air conditioner waterfall failure (ugh!) and happened to notice Freightliner is offering 2 year extended warranties. I hadn't seen this mentioned previously so I thought I'd pass it along. There's no pricing info, nor fine print on what the limited of Extended Limited Warranty applies to, but it looks interesting nonetheless: no deductible, no claims processing, just take it to a Freightliner Sprinter dealer. I'm scheduled to drop off the van on Tuesday. I'll see if I can get some more details to share in case anyone is interested.

From the web site (http://www.portland.ftlsprinterdealer.com/new/warrenty):

psalm66
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
There must be someone in this Forum who has recently purchased an Extended Limited Warrantee from MB or FL and can make recommendations on how to get it done (see my last post). :thinking:
Thanks, in advance!

gary 32
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
There must be someone in this Forum who has recently purchased an Extended Limited Warrantee from MB or FL and can make recommendations on how to get it done (see my last post). :thinking:
Thanks, in advance!

I thinks Wayneskid gave you a great answer with very fair rates.
You can buy that FL or MB warranty from any dealer or legit reseller and your dealer has to honor it.

Wayneskid:
But, I was told this morning by the Br. Mgr. at McCoy that the options (and prices) were changed in November. The choices are now:
3 yr/125,000mi = $1,829

psalm66
10-01-2013, 09:43 AM
I thinks Wayneskid gave you a great answer with very fair rates.
You can buy that FL or MB warranty from any dealer or legit reseller and your dealer has to honor it.

Wayneskid:
3 yr/125,000mi = $1,829

I agree, I understood and I followed up on what Wayne said!

Rereading my last post, you will note that I said I contacted the dealer and he said he knew nothing about ELW's nor had they ever sold one. How do I get this done in this situation?

My van is sitting until I get the Warrantee as I'm just shy of 36,000. :thinking:

psalm66
10-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Latest twist - I can't buy the Extended Limited Warrantee. Dealer cannot access the computer system because the ELW area is "greyed out" to him. Suggests trying to buy it from the original dealer I bought the van from (1,000 miles away).

Is it your Freightliner experience that you have to buy your extended warrantee from the originating dealer?

SOLBRTs
10-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Latest twist - I can't buy the Extended Limited Warrantee. Dealer cannot access the computer system because the ELW area is "greyed out" to him. Suggests trying to buy it from the original dealer I bought the van from (1,000 miles away).

Is it your Freightliner experience that you have to buy your extended warrantee from the originating dealer?

You should be able to buy the extended warranty over the phone from the original dealer.

Brad75
10-03-2013, 12:47 PM
I just bought a 2013 Mercedes sprinter an haven't decided on the extended warranty yet. I searched the forum an Internet an still haven't found enough information to make a decision. from what I saw at the dealer the extended warranty really doesn't cover much at all an every time I ask about electrical issues being covered I get vague answers....so what is really covered in the extended warranty ??? are they worth it ?

I plan on keeping this van until its paid off then traded it in for a new one.... I use it for furniture delivery

gary 32
10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
The facts are any time before your original factory warranty runs out you can buy an extended warranty. You can buy it over the phone, on a website, or in person from any dealer or reseller, does not have to be an MB or FL dealer. Not sure about the blackout stuff, this may work for late model Sprinters if not search the internet for the best coverage and pricing.

Automobile Extended Service Contracts (by Consumers' CHECKBOOK)

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/ExtendedService.cfm

Mercedes
Euro Motorcars Mercedes-Benz
7020 Arlington Road
Bethesda, MD
(888) 250-2987

With Chrysler/MB, this was the best deal around for the Dodge years.
I have a Ford ESP extended warranty for my wife's 2007 MB GL 320cdi, purchased here, so be creative.
www.chryslerwarrantys.com/‎

Brad75
10-04-2013, 12:26 AM
I just bought a 2013 Mercedes sprinter an haven't decided on the extended warranty yet. I searched the forum an Internet an still haven't found enough information to make a decision. from what I saw at the dealer the extended warranty really doesn't cover much at all an every time I ask about electrical issues being covered I get vague answers....so what is really covered in the extended warranty ??? are they worth it ?

I plan on keeping this van until its paid off then maybe hold onto it for a year or 2 before trading it in for another one.....(maybe keep it if its a horse, who knows) ..... I use it for furniture delivery

wayneskid
10-04-2013, 04:39 AM

No, you should be able to buy the ELW from any Freightliner or MB dealer. I bought my Airstream Interstate new from an Airstream dealer in Oregon. I bought the 3yr./125K mi. version of the ELW from McCoy Freightliner in Portland. I paid $1829. The transaction was done entirely by emailed forms, signed, scanned and returned my email. I never set foot in the McCoy dealership. BTW, I found them responsive and quite easy to deal with. My contact was Jackie McCoy.

hobbs018
10-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Technically MB dealers can't sell a Freightliner ELW and Frieghtliner dealers can't sell a MB ELW.

Here is the coverage straight from the ELW book. If you need help with a Freightliner ELW I would be happy to look into it.

Ryan

hkpierce
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Here is the coverage straight from the ELW book. t.

Ryan

Interesting. Not covered:
> everything downstream of the injection pump (rails, injectors, glowplugs)
> most electrical and associated sensors and computers/modules
>> all body related electrical - locks, windows, mirrors, harness
> all suspension
> front axle and steering
> all brake systems

jmgasior
10-04-2013, 11:23 PM
When I bought,new,my 2008 dodge sprinter bought the the extended warranty and 6months ago had a intermittent electrical,dodge people said it was one of 2modules and it would be covered by the warranty,never had it worked on as it cleared but this time has not returned,so decided not to let them touch it ???afraid they would do more damage than it was worth.

Brad75
10-07-2013, 11:23 PM
> all suspension
> all brake systems

exactly!!..............hardly anything covered.

psalm66
10-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Final update ... Yesterday I was able to get the extended warrantee and it is now in effect. The issue ultimately was one of access to the ELW portion of Mercedes' web site. Thanks to Nicole :cheers: at MB for her following up with my RI Dealer.

Yes, any dealer can sell the policy but only those employees with access can update that portion of MB's data base. Additionally found out that the outfitter had never changed the ownership from them to me so that was fixed also. :thumbup:

Mercedes does respond to issues via their web site but it typically takes a few days for them to get back to you.

Thanks for the PM CBoyles - 1 more day and I would have contacted you! Over and out. :sleep:

Kat
10-31-2013, 08:45 AM
> all suspension
> all brake systems

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it looks like some of the stuff "downstream of the injection pump" and some of the "sensors and computer modules" is covered by the mfg. emission warranty for at least 5 years and 7 years for states covered under California's emission warranty. If that is the case, an MB Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) would only give you 1 extra year for states under the Federal emission warranty and nothing extra for states under the CA emission warranty.

Here are copies out of my 2010 Sprinter warranty book:

Of course the emissions warranty doesn't cover the suspension, front axle, steering, brake systems, locks, windows, mirrors, harness, or many other things.

Kat