PDA

View Full Version : Dyno run for NCV3

Chandlerazman
09-03-2010, 02:38 AM
So here we are... Huey is going to undergo a very special treatment. I will post back later. Until then, any guesses on what is to come?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00161-20100902-1733.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00160-20100902-1732.jpg

Altered Sprinter
09-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Yep you found a way to tune up your sprinter for under a grand
Now we have Huey and Dewey:rolleyes:

gary 32
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I can guess, nice shop.

Ask if they will comp a before and after dyno for posting here...

sikwan
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Ask if they will comp a before and after dyno for posting here...

This will be interesting.

Chandlerazman
09-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I guess the hint in the photo was Dyno-comp which gave it away ;) Yeppers, I broke down to have the van tuned for power and efficiency with the ECU Re-flash.

It was more than I wanted to spend however the curiosity and desire for power got the best of me. I did my research and found this was my safest way to increase power without going overboard. I was impressed that they were able to get ole' Huey up on the Dyno. Of course, there was some difficulty getting the behemoth to squeeze in the tight confines of where tuner cars have their say on power. Here are some highlight photos of the day...

Loading onto Dynomometer...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00167-20100903-1203.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00168-20100903-1205.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00173-20100903-1300.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00172-20100903-1257.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00171-20100903-1254.jpg

My wife was all good about spending the grand on getting this done. I am a lucky one on the infrugality spending department. :bounce:

They did a before and after run and here is the chart. You can also find it on their website at Dyno-comp.com and going into the Mercedes tab, scrolling to the Sprinter. (my actual van)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprintervanDynochartE.jpg

So here is my driving impressions... It is certainly not a rocket however you can feel the power it creates. There is still that slight lag between gears as it always had however, it pulls away without being a slug on the freeway. From a dead stop there is noticeable improvement. On my way home, I was able to keep another vehicle from passing on the right. This was something I could never do before. Of course, by the time I looked at the speedo, I was at 62mph in a 45. It does garner speed quicker. The real limiting factor here is that this is still a 3 litre engine and the power band is narrow. I feel it was worth the investment compared to bolt on modifications. Yes, I do feel a dramatic improvement. The factory was close to the published numbers on the engine. In our test case (Huey) it showed 142hp and 253ft lbs tq at the wheels in stock form. An intercooler was suggested which may help out in hotter climates such as mine. On one pass there was a dip in the power curve as the engine was hot through the passes. I think it is photo'ed above (blue line). Dyno-comp is a very capable firm and I dealt with Richard on this one. He will be quoting me a fabricated price on an intercooler. I didn't receive any promotions on this as I wanted to be fair and unbiased. These guys know their stuff.

Here is another project Dyno-comp was getting ready to tune... Amazing that someone spent over $300k and felt they needed more power. This car is almost all carbon fibre. Really a work of art.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00166-20100903-1202.jpg

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2010, 12:59 AM
I think your the first to actually show a dynamo Hum test:clapping:
Too late to do this now but if your a happy little Huey; then great.:thumbup:
Suggested maximum HP for the V6 perfect tune would be
190HP @3800 rpm
Max torque 440Nm @1600-2600 rpm
Rear axle ratio 3.923
Question is how to improve your fuel economy with in the band of your new HP rating.
Cheers Richard.

jdcaples
09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
While the question of the fuel economy is a good one, my question is: will you be less likely to occlude your EGR valve and cooler with soot?

Six hours of labor plus parts to replace EGR system components may quickly erode any savings from burning less fuel per mile.

-Jon

PS: EGR cooler replacement - according to MB of Lynnwood, WA - is a five hour adventure in installation labor required for a nearly $400 part.... making it about $1000.00 to replace the cooler alone.

Chandlerazman
09-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Jon, Most of my driving is highway and hardfooted acceleration at times. So far, I've had no issues with the EGR. I did bring it up regarding bypassing some of the EGR's use however they didn't have a code written for that. I did get an extended warranty either way in case such issues arise. The advice I've received from both MB and Chrysler service is to run it hard at times. They both say not to baby it in order to save fuel as the soot may build up. So far, my van has undergone regeneration although I've never noticed it. MB dealer did a scan on it yesterday while I was getting oil changed. All is normal. As Richard suggested, MB has this engine safely rated to go at 190hp, I'm sure that was rated by MB at the crank as most manufacturers rate their products. If that were the case, my "published" 154hp would now be 184hp or close to what the 2010's are rated at.
The guys at Dyno comp were impressed by the low driveline power loss. They said that the GM Hummers lose about 50% by the time it hits the wheels!

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2010, 04:06 AM
184 HP you matched the older specs for the NCV V6 euro:clapping: and matched the latest NAFTA specs for 2010.Cool:cheers:
My thoughts as to economy is based on fuel quality.As to not increase fuel consumption but to improve on a better injection burn of which reduces your EGR soot build up and shortens the life span of your turbo veins.
MB USA has stated this under WIS as to fuel injection crystallization thus the approved MB addition of fuel enhancers to off set lower fuel quality.MY GOOD GUESS! "WOULD BE WHY YOUR V6-ENGINES ARE DE-TUNED".
Richard

Chandlerazman
09-04-2010, 04:52 AM
I took my wife out this evening for dinner in our newly re-tuned van. I am more amazed at how I drove it with the de-tuned engine beforehand! It is relly impressive. The van has more power now than it did when I had it without any shelving. Highway driving allows me to compete with the likes of normal cars. I no longer feel as if this van is a slow poke.
Richard, as to your question about the USA vans being detuned is as good a guess as any. We certainly get jipped here. I can only imagine if there were aftermarket support for these engines. I believe a good flowing airbox and intercooler will not only help out on power increase but the longevity of this engine. I do not cut corners in anything I do in life and with that said, This van will be the last one I buy. It has been a year of ownership and there are no dings, dents or scratches in the paint. It gets washed once a week by me by hand. In fact, I had the wheels powdercoated a new silver finish a while back and they still look like new!

This weekend, I plan to powerwash the rear wheel wells and undercoat it with something black as opposed to the "dirty" looking white paint. I get tired of sponge washing the rear wheel wells!

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2010, 05:26 AM
I took my wife out this evening for dinner in our newly re-tuned van. I am more amazed at how I drove it with the de-tuned engine beforehand! It is relly impressive. The van has more power now than it did when I had it without any shelving. Highway driving allows me to compete with the likes of normal cars. I no longer feel as if this van is a slow poke.
Richard, as to your question about the USA vans being detuned is as good a guess as any. We certainly get jipped here. I can only imagine if there were aftermarket support for these engines. I believe a good flowing airbox and intercooler will not only help out on power increase but the longevity of this engine. I do not cut corners in anything I do in life and with that said, This van will be the last one I buy. It has been a year of ownership and there are no dings, dents or scratches in the paint. It gets washed once a week by me by hand. In fact, I had the wheels powdercoated a new silver finish a while back and they still look like new!

This weekend, I plan to powerwash the rear wheel wells and undercoat it with something black as opposed to the "dirty" looking white paint. I get tired of sponge washing the rear wheel wells!
You must be a foreigner:thinking: I mean you actually personally washed your van and the showgirls undergarments: [Careful wife, will get jealous]:lol:
then again my dear van is well treated too, in thanks for my loving care,she has never failed once, that includes my real wife as well:smilewink: we both a have a mutual understanding.:hugs:
PS Both are OEM originals.
:rolleyes:

Richard

damien89
09-04-2010, 07:03 AM
You must be a foreigner:thinking: I mean you actually personally washed your van and the showgirls undergarments: [Careful wife, will get jealous]:lol:
then again my dear van is well treated too, in thanks for my loving care,she has never failed once, that includes my real wife as well:smilewink: we both a have a mutual understanding.:hugs:
PS Both are OEM originals.

Richard

Any more pics of the underside?

Altered Sprinter
09-04-2010, 07:37 AM
14-6-09

Graphite Dave
09-04-2010, 03:43 PM
If you have kept track of your fuel mileage, a before and after report would be appreciated.

Chandlerazman
09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Dave, I consistently got 17.9 to a tank. I will report if there is any difference. As of now, I've been enjoying the power and acceleration, so I'm sure the final return will be just shy of 16! :laughing:

jdcaples
09-04-2010, 04:30 PM
MB USA has stated this under WIS as to fuel injection crystallization thus the approved MB addition of fuel enhancers to off set lower fuel quality.
Richard

I can't find this in WIS, but I'm still polishing my search skills. Do you have the document number handy?

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
09-05-2010, 01:59 AM
I can't find this in WIS, but I'm still polishing my search skills. Do you have the document number handy?

-Jon Hi Jon Fathers day down under so busy.
Keep an eye out Sunday late your time, and I'll run the document through in photostat format
Take notice of engines designations and bare in mind please your V6 NAFTA engines are based on 4-inlines.
I'll send you a PM with the page link.
Richard

Altered Sprinter
09-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Quick one Jon.
Look for this number under WIS updates 02/2010
Group 00
S100-40-2 0001A
08 12 2009
Operating fluids sheet 137.0
Reference to paraffin crystallization with fuel injections additives.New fuel standards for DIN EN 51 628
There is a block on the U.S site that pertains to this critical document ////U.S Cafe-GHG-My-2012-2016 Final emission rulings. you can only access this under the freedom of information act. I have both.
Now I have a daughter who has flown in from N.Y. and to sons to enjoy my day.
Cheers Richard
PS:I don't send emails, only via PM

sailquik
09-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Hi Simon,
Any idea how the dyno people defeated the ASR (MB Traction control)?
Put my T1N 3500 van on the same dyno, and it would immediately lock up the back brakes, reduce power, and stall the engine.
If I disable the ASR with the disable switch on the dash, it will go up to about 25-30 mph and reengage the traction control.
I'd love to dyno mine, but never could figure out how to make the front wheels spin the same speed as the back wheels.
Inquiring minds would like to know?
The Calif. smog checkers cannot check a Sprinter on their chassis dyno becuase they cannot disengage the traction control.
Roger

I guess the hint in the photo was Dyno-comp which gave it away ;) Yeppers, I broke down to have the van tuned for power and efficiency with the ECU Re-flash.

It was more than I wanted to spend however the curiosity and desire for power got the best of me. I did my research and found this was my safest way to increase power without going overboard. I was impressed that they were able to get ole' Huey up on the Dyno. Of course, there was some difficulty getting the behemoth to squeeze in the tight confines of where tuner cars have their say on power. Here are some highlight photos of the day...

Loading onto Dynomometer...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00167-20100903-1203.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00168-20100903-1205.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00173-20100903-1300.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00172-20100903-1257.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00171-20100903-1254.jpg

My wife was all good about spending the grand on getting this done. I am a lucky one on the infrugality spending department. :bounce:

They did a before and after run and here is the chart. You can also find it on their website at Dyno-comp.com and going into the Mercedes tab, scrolling to the Sprinter. (my actual van)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprintervanDynochartE.jpg

So here is my driving impressions... It is certainly not a rocket however you can feel the power it creates. There is still that slight lag between gears as it always had however, it pulls away without being a slug on the freeway. From a dead stop there is noticeable improvement. On my way home, I was able to keep another vehicle from passing on the right. This was something I could never do before. Of course, by the time I looked at the speedo, I was at 62mph in a 45. It does garner speed quicker. The real limiting factor here is that this is still a 3 litre engine and the power band is narrow. I feel it was worth the investment compared to bolt on modifications. Yes, I do feel a dramatic improvement. The factory was close to the published numbers on the engine. In our test case (Huey) it showed 142hp and 253ft lbs tq at the wheels in stock form. An intercooler was suggested which may help out in hotter climates such as mine. On one pass there was a dip in the power curve as the engine was hot through the passes. I think it is photo'ed above (blue line). Dyno-comp is a very capable firm and I dealt with Richard on this one. He will be quoting me a fabricated price on an intercooler. I didn't receive any promotions on this as I wanted to be fair and unbiased. These guys know their stuff.

Here is another project Dyno-comp was getting ready to tune... Amazing that someone spent over $300k and felt they needed more power. This car is almost all carbon fibre. Really a work of art.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/IMG00166-20100903-1202.jpg

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

mean_in_green
09-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Remember that you don't get something for nothing with any kind of increase in power.

The something is easily felt under your right foot - nice, enjoy that!

The nothings are increased load / wear through your drivetrain / brakes / tyres etc. Not as immediately obvious as the something but will become apparent during long term ownership of the vehicle. You are your own warranty now anyway.

No big deal if only planning to keep for a year or two / something to be aware of otherwise.

I found that the mpg gain was lost in the real world. Not so the increased torque though - loved that. However my wallet didn't love the premature demise of my clutch*

* In my van I generally drive like a priest, not The Stig.

Chandlerazman
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
But Simon, I didn't do this upgrade to be a race truck driver! It is nice to have the availability of power that Mercedes originally duped us folks in the U.S. Regarding brakes, they will wear out regardless unless I race the van and brake hard. Generally, I drive my van carefully and diligently. On the occasion, I will drive it somewhat hard to keep things in order. It was my MB dealer that sent me to this specific tuning company to carry out the work. My van is still under warranty. For me the apparent power gains are best felt when underway at speed on the highways. It feels most powerful when trying to pass someone or preventing someone from passing on the right. (illegal in the states). At that point, the drive train is not loaded up as it would be from a dead stop and giving it hard acceleration. The engine idles, starts and sounds no different as it did before which is nice. The temperature never went about 200F yesterday while it was 112F outside. All we did here is try to match the Euro specs and nothing over that. Regardless, I still take full responsibility of my vans use, maintenance and warranty. I will keep posting if mechanical issues arise. At the very least, I had the driveshaft and bearings replaced before the modifications by the dealer. I was dumbfounded that this part would have worn out prematurely. Huey does not carry alot of material or weight on board. I am sure if this were a manual transmission, I'd be replacing the clutch sooner than later by my driving habits!

mean_in_green
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
But Simon, I didn't do this upgrade to be a race truck driver!

No it's clear that you didn't - and I wasn't saying that you did but... by increasing the power and torque the drivetrain has more to cope with. Your drivetrain components won't last as well as when they had less to deal with. Equally I didn't similarly upgrade my T1N to win traffic lights drag races. At time of purchase I thought I was doing it for the MPG gain and the torque, but I found that in reality the MPG gain was nominal or zero - it was the torque that remained noticeable and I did enjoy having it.

I went for it because I knew the OM612 responded phenomenally well to remapping. In the final analysis though I decided 156bhp was enough for me and I restored the ECU to original power. Although the ECU was happy enough at ~190bhp the extra amount of power found my T1Ncan's drivetrain weakness: the clutch. I wonder if the NCV3 has an additional weakness in the propshaft bearings? I was only able to recognise this variable in durability because I used the van more than most owners do - the dyno only tells part of the story and that is what is used to sell the idea.

Are you absolutely happy that you've got the retained warranty issue documented and bulletproof, because you would catagorically not get anything at all done under warranty here if the ECU had been flashed? Indeed DC's heavy truck range ECUs will record each change and are checked by the dealers. Not a feature of the NCV3 but the NCV4...?

Chandlerazman
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Simon,
Any idea how the dyno people defeated the ASR (MB Traction control)?
Put my T1N 3500 van on the same dyno, and it would immediately lock up the back brakes, reduce power, and stall the engine.
If I disable the ASR with the disable switch on the dash, it will go up to about 25-30 mph and reengage the traction control.
I'd love to dyno mine, but never could figure out how to make the front wheels spin the same speed as the back wheels.
Inquiring minds would like to know?
The Calif. smog checkers cannot check a Sprinter on their chassis dyno becuase they cannot disengage the traction control.
Roger

I was standing next to the van when they did the whole process. In fact, they ran the van at baseline numbers prior to doing anything with the computer. It showed no fighting of the ASR. This is a valid point you bring up. I know I have the ASR button on the dash however, I've never used it personally. Perhaps the sensors on the NCV3 3500 are limited to the rear wheels as opposed to all four?
I'm sure Richard will chime in on this one...

HappyFamilyVan
09-06-2010, 06:58 PM
So how hard and how expensive would it be to take the ECU out of an NCV3 and send to Chris in the UK and ask him to re-flash to be the same as the EU models?

Chandlerazman
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
The ECU is located under the hood on the drivers side. Basically no tools required to remove it. It is all plug and play with snap off retainers holding this thing in. The ECU would still need your vin number to be programmed in. I would imagine however long it takes to send and receive your ECU is how long your van would be decommissioned.

gary 32
09-07-2010, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=jdcaples;104749]While the question of the fuel economy is a good one, my question is: will you be less likely to occlude your EGR valve and cooler with soot?

Six hours of labor plus parts to replace EGR system components may quickly erode any savings from burning less fuel per mile.

-Jon

Congratulations Chandlerazman,:thumbup:
Thanks for posting your dyno, a true forum service.
3 years and 30k miles ago I purchased a non mpg version of this tune from renntech. I sent my ecu off to Florida for remap, downtime 3 days. I have documented improved drive ability, performance and mileage on this forum with no issues of any kind.

Simon I will let you know what fails first, yes my fuel mileage honestly increased 15% (city), I feel no guilt about enjoying the tune or angst about replacing parts I may wear out.

Jon, egr defeat is a facet no tuner would overlook, performance parameters can be expanded if the recirculation of exhaust gas is reduced, smog laws make egr defeat a don't ask, don't tell subject, with huge performance gains. A smog test here in CA would result in a pass and reveal only that my entire egr system is in place and functioning properly.

Happy we do not share the same hardware or fuel as EU models, so a straight reprogram to non nafta MB specs would not be compatible.

Richard, Hp and torque quotes provided by MB, tuners and owners are always going to fluctuate but a 25% same day, same dyno increase, is pretty stout...

NBB
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
It would be interesting to get the OTHER relevant plots - fuel use and emissions over RPM and before and after the tune.

Did they tell you what they were changing - what you were giving up?

I'm going to pretty safely assume the factory program was OPTIMAL for something - balancing emissions, fuel economy and power (and engine LIFE!). I wonder what you lost and how.

I think the core assumption that the factory has some agenda to give you a dumbed down engine is bogus.

gary 32
09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
It would be interesting to get the OTHER relevant plots - fuel use and emissions over RPM and before and after the tune.

Did they tell you what they were changing - what you were giving up?

I'm going to pretty safely assume the factory program was OPTIMAL for something - balancing emissions, fuel economy and power (and engine LIFE!). I wonder what you lost and how.

I think the core assumption that the factory has some agenda to give you a dumbed down engine is bogus.

Wow NBB,

We were discussing an ecu tune, after 3 years of ownership I can't find a downside.

There is nothing more humble or gracious than volunteering to find problems with this ecu tune, but searching for reasons why the Mercedes factory program is optimal might be hard, maybe start with everyone's egr problems...:popcorn:

folzag
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
NBB, you seem to always bring up a lot of fear uncertainty and doubt (FUD). If memory serves, last time it was the piece of mind of with the "guarantee" from a dealer's over-priced brake job. I'm fine with guaranties, warranties, and paying extra for them if that's important to a person. I'm NOT fine with the way you use FUD to denigrate not paying exta for them.

Let's be clear, the manufacturers interests are aligned, but not necessarily identical to the purchaser's. The manufacturer is responsible for their entire fleet of production, with all it's unit-to-unit manufacturing variance, for the duration of the warranty period, to the worst likely operator. They also have to pass EPA test cell testing, which may or may not correspond to how any living, breathing person drives. They also have to have something to market and upsell; if not this model, next year's. They also have manufacturing economies to consider such as the 3.5L engine in a delivery van is going to be the same 3.5L in a sport sedan.

So what is one giving up with re-cal? Largely the built-in margin of error that the bottom 5% of engine variance will be able to pass all emission tests and last 3 years with out drivetrain warrranty issues running the bottom 5% of fuel by the worst 5% of lead foot fleet drivers.

I can risk my manufacturing margin of error without giving up ANYTHING performance-wise if I happen to be lucky and have a plus 50% variance engine. Further, I can mitigate that risk I took by take extra care as an operator in how I drive and as an owner in performing maintenance.

See risks can be mitigated. That's what people do, sometimes rationally; albeit often times not. FUD on the other hand ignores mitigation and paints risks as consequences.

NBB
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
NBB, you seem to always bring up a lot of fear uncertainty and doubt (FUD).
I am very certain of the science behind the tradeoffs - emissions, fuel economy, power and componant life. I have operated a dyno, taken data and worked with these tradeoffs myself in theory and practice. How about you?

What's kind of funny here is that the remainder of your post and several others above are just wholly filled with unbacked assumptions. What would you call that? Fantasy, Uncertainty and Dreaming (FUD)?

My question above was really simple - where are the rest of the plots? Show us the other important data.

MB has been designing, building, testing and tearing these engines down forever, and their firmware is written to reflect that. A few undocumented, "seat of the pants" testimonials isn't anything.

I think it's pretty cool what the tuner is doing (looks like fun, too!) and I would assume he's pretty competent - ie, the engine likely won't blow up in 10k miles and it's good he's aligning things somewhat to the EU parameters - but taking it a step further and saying he's pulling 20% more HP at NO COST and telling us all why there's no cost with NOTHING to back it up is just friggin' silly.

mean_in_green
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=jdcaples;104749]

Simon I will let you know what fails first, yes my fuel mileage honestly increased 15% (city), I feel no guilt about enjoying the tune or angst about replacing parts I may wear out.

Good for you! I enjoyed it too, just decided I preferred to maximise component life. You don't hear many sellers of the genre making this point so I'll do it for them.

piper1
09-07-2010, 09:25 PM
MB has been designing, building, testing and tearing these engines down forever, and their firmware is written to reflect that.

While I agree that nothing is "free"....if MB had been so diligent and perfect we would surely have a much better functioning emission control system. They made a compromise, all auto makers do, and these "tunes" are merely someone going in and changing what gets compromised and buy how much.

How a tune feels is almost completely subjective, but if I paid for it, and I like it then who cares. If I can document better fuel mileage or can now pass other cars faster (or whatever differences there are) post tune, then goody for me. I'm a happy guy and will feel I got my money's worth. Reality is, most will have said good bye to their vehicles before any tune damage is likely to occur. Guys go and wind 600 HP out of their Duramax's...and sell them before they hit 40,000 miles because it's not shiny any more. If I was buying a tune and planned on running 600,000 miles, ya, then I'd likely be a lot more concerned about the "compromise".

I don't think the tune in question will have any serious effects. The 2010's have more HP and Torque with very few changes downstream in the powertrain.

Chandlerazman, keep us posted on your post tune results, we can all learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

gary 32
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=gary 32;105067]

Good for you! I enjoyed it too, just decided I preferred to maximise component life. You don't hear many sellers of the genre making my point so I'll do it for them.

Simon thanks for taking the time to speak with me about your failed clutch and ecu tune experiences before I did mine, you made this same valid point.

Piper @ my current mileage per year rate it would take me only 60 years to get to 600k...Gary

piper1
09-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Piper @ my current mileage per year rate it would take me only 60 years to get to 600k...Gary

Maybe with a tune you could get there faster?:smirk:

jdcaples
09-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Chandlerazman, keep us posted on your post tune results, we can all learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

+1

-Jon

Chandlerazman
09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
So far, three full days of driving and no issues tune wise. The power is simply amazing yet not overly so. The van feels more responsive and driveable. Guys, I didn't change the rules here. My engine has been tuned to be close to the 2010 models. I am still below those specs. Manufacturers tweak their own products on a year to year basis to show something new. In this case, it's the additional power of the engine. They speak of confident passing ability in the 2010 model. Go figure. I am standing by my changes and feel they are best for the van. I am not looking for mileage gains, just some power that I feel this engine is more than capable of. This engine is tuned to a higher output in other Mercedes vehicles. And once again, my van is not loaded down with weight nor is it lugged along. Aside from that, this tuning company gets all of the dealers referrals and I trust them.

On a side note, I did have a failure... I had my glow plug light and battery light come on today. I took it to Schumacher European in Scottsdale, AZ and visited Paul, my service adviser. They found a voltage regulator module had a voltage spike. It is on order. Little did I realize it was I that caused the problem on Saturday night. You see, I decided to give Huey his annual engine bath and cabin filter change. Some of the water must have landed on some module in the engine bay. I had no idea these big guys hate water.
I give a shout out to Paul Olsen at Schumacher European for taking care of my issue and placing it under a warrantable claim. I was willing to pay for my wrong doing, but he insisted it was taken care of. This is the reason My business goes to Schumacher European and Paul Olsen.

Clean engine...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprinterengineE.jpg

Here is one for Richard down under... Richard, I simply could not take washing the wheel wells every week, so I made some changes. Sacrilege, I know :smilewink:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprinterWheelwellE.jpg

Altered Sprinter
09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
So far, three full days of driving and no issues tune wise. The power is simply amazing yet not overly so. The van feels more responsive and driveable. Guys, I didn't change the rules here. My engine has been tuned to be close to the 2010 models. I am still below those specs. Manufacturers tweak their own products on a year to year basis to show something new. In this case, it's the additional power of the engine. They speak of confident passing ability in the 2010 model. Go figure. I am standing by my changes and feel they are best for the van. I am not looking for mileage gains, just some power that I feel this engine is more than capable of. This engine is tuned to a higher output in other Mercedes vehicles. And once again, my van is not loaded down with weight nor is it lugged along. Aside from that, this tuning company gets all of the dealers referrals and I trust them.

On a side note, I did have a failure... I had my glow plug light and battery light come on today. I took it to Schumacher European in Scottsdale, AZ and visited Paul, my service adviser. They found a voltage regulator module had a voltage spike. It is on order. Little did I realize it was I that caused the problem on Saturday night. You see, I decided to give Huey his annual engine bath and cabin filter change. Some of the water must have landed on some module in the engine bay. I had no idea these big guys hate water.
I give a shout out to Paul Olsen at Schumacher European for taking care of my issue and placing it under a warrantable claim. I was willing to pay for my wrong doing, but he insisted it was taken care of. This is the reason My business goes to Schumacher European and Paul Olsen.

Clean engine...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprinterengineE.jpg

Here is one for Richard down under... Richard, I simply could not take washing the wheel wells every week, so I made some changes. Sacrilege, I know :smilewink:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/Sprinter%20Van/SprinterWheelwellE.jpg
NOT amused ! this a sacramental offering to the dark side of Benz
off with his head
Now
Your off my Easter egg list.
:lol:
I hope you run off the road and break your nose.Satirically speaking of course.
:smilewink:
Richard

Chandlerazman
09-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Love you too Richard! :lol:

Hey, what the hell are you doing placing chocolate Easter eggs on your engine? Wanna get some child's hand cut off from something sharp?! I think the bottom side of this planet has your head thinking crooked :tongue:

Altered Sprinter
09-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Love you too Richard! :lol:

Hey, what the hell are you doing placing chocolate Easter eggs on your engine? Wanna get some child's hand cut off from something sharp?! I think the bottom side of this planet has your head thinking crooked :tongue: Ah'rr that was for the Easter egg hunt. But my oldest son 34 years old sniffed them out.:lol:
Cheers Richard

Chandlerazman
12-10-2010, 01:48 AM
So it's been almost 10,000 miles with the ECU retune and dyno run. So far there have been no issues other than the carrier bearing making some squandering sounds. It was replace about 7,000 miles ago. The service tech showed me the part which weighed in at about 10oz on my palm. Friggin' unbelieveable for what that yugo class part is sustained to do.
I have yet to see another check engine light since the retune. I used to get them pretty much on a three week schedule. I may be pushing my luck but at almost 35,000 miles the EGR is still ticking along. My mileage has not dropped but improved by about 20 -30 miles per tank. I fill up when I get to the 425 mile mark and even at that, only put in no more than 23 gallons. I love the performance of the van as it can really garner speed fast with the pedal on the floor. I used to get passed on the right while merging on the freeways almost on a daily basis pre tune, and now it has been cut down to a monthly occurance by the occasional chrome rubberband tire pimp mobiles.

donblume
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Simon,

I contacted you previously about contacting you on phone, I believe you called me and I missed getting your phone number. I live in Mesa, AZ and I have a few servicing questions to ask you. Please call again. Thanks, Don at 480-654-0335